Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default has anyone used SKEETER beaters

thinking of ordering passenger window class B RT screens from these guys,,,
has anyone used SKEETER beaters
I know some of you all make your own ,not me !!! You really would not want to see the results
Thanks
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
I know some of you all make your own ,not me !!! You really would not want to see the results
Thanks
Michael
I use them occasionally Michael, I'm pleased.

I did not want to make some either, but I did have an idea that I never pursued if I wanted to save, spend less.

Imagine window screening, large enough. Put the screening over the top of the door inside the van that covers the entire door, top anyway. Now shut the door.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Skeeter Beaters

I previously made my own on old van but purchased these for new to me Sprinter. They work great as advertised. Would recommend.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks
Michael
I have used skreenz.com and am very satisfied with quality and quick turn-around. I think he is a one-man shop or at least a small one. Good, fast responses to any of my questions.

A bit pricey, but I figured I'd never get around to making screens myself. And they have saved a couple of trips for us on those just barely cool enough nights where the additional ventilation was just what we needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I use them occasionally Michael, I'm pleased.

I did not want to make some either, but I did have an idea that I never pursued if I wanted to save, spend less.

Imagine window screening, large enough. Put the screening over the top of the door inside the van that covers the entire door, top anyway. Now shut the door.

Bud

Your imagined window screening is exactly how the front door skreenz work. Built like a pillow case. Just open the door and drop them over the top. Here's a few pics on the skreenz on my Airstream Avenue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6330.JPG (545.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8255.JPG (477.0 KB, 25 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Very nice, those Skreenz. I can't imagine any downside except price, better solution.

Thanks for posting and pics.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We've actually never used the ones on the front doors. But the ones for the rear windows are gusseted for the flip-out so you can keep them open in a light rain and not worry about bugs.

On several occasions we found the cross-ventilation inadequate on the rv crank-outs. Sometimes in light winds or when using the Maxxfan, we needed the breeze across our heads to feel comfortable. Using the rear windows with the Skreenz delivered that air better than using the cross windows in the rear of the rv.

And I looked at some of the skeeter beater pics on their website and they looked crude in comparison to skreenz.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Default We purchased the Skeeter Beaters, but....

Quote:
Thanks
Michael
You know...it always helps to be prepared, however, although it was one of the first things we thought we needed....we have never used them in 2 years..... imagine that.

Not that they would never come in handy.... and they don't take a lot of space... just determine if you even need them before purchasing.... that's all.....

They seem to be of good quality....we have them in the package they came in and just make sure you have a ladder or a small step stool.... they are not easy to put up without that....

My wife just told me that we've never even tried putting them up.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I had a set of SkeeterBeaters® which came with my 201P which I rarely used. I purchased a set of Skreenz® and I am much happier with them. The Skeeter Beaters used magnets whereas the Skreenz slip over the door frame like a pillow case. The SkeeterBeaters did have a somewhat smaller mesh than the Skreenz but I have not found this to be a problem. With the Skreenz you get 2 layers of mesh.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #9

I bought them for my Pleasure Way Lexor 2002 Dodge - they work fine on the front windows.
SilverLiningSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

We bought SkeeterBeaters for our Roadtrek SS Agile but they kept slipping down off the window especially on the driver side and were useless if there was any wind. We later purchased Skreenz and they work well although they are a little difficult to put on. You have to poke a small piece of seam binding through the hinge area of the door to pull the velcro part through. However, I still much prefer them to the SkeeterBeaters.
kitcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My DW whipped up a set, front windows and rear vents, for our Jucy in just a few hours, made out of the "military grade" material for a fraction of the prices for the finished products. We made a pattern with paper and "measured twice" to ensure fit. The "pillowcase" design works perfectly. Just remember, if your vehicle needs it, to put in the notch for the side view mirror neck. We used velcro to seal that cut tight. For the bottom screen seal we used magnets.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #12

I'm very happy with my SkeeterBeaters for my Pleasure-Way / Ford E-350 van. I use the front van door screens all the time, part of setting up camp. I've had them for over a year-and-a-half and they still work perfectly, look and attach like brand new. No problems with them staying on during wind and rain, and the strong magnets have not scratched my paint. They're pretty tough because I don't treat them gently, just scrunch them up and stuff them in the van door. (I've forgotten where I hid the carrying pouches, but I remember they're nice too!)

I also have the single large size for my entry door that I don't use as much because you have to reattach getting in and out, but it works for airflow and keeping out bugs.

I have no regrets on this purchase decision, they are made well and work great.
GettinHitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #13

We have Skeeter Beaters for our Chevy RT 190P and use them all the time. They are well made, fit properly and do not slide. They have the advantage that you can close the windows with them installed in case of rain. The easy way to put them on and off is to detach from the top and roll them down. Easy to reinstall by attaching at bottom of window and roll upward.
dvelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #14

We have used the both on our Westie and our RT.
Good quality good fit.
Lhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Just for clarification. Skreenz can also be left in place and windows can be closed or opened as needed. I'm only talking windows, I haven't used the door Skreenz.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks
Michael
I use them on a PW/Sprinter. They work great!
Trekker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

would adding a few magnets of your own helped?
Or
are they just a lost cause
thanks
m
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

Yes. I have a set for our RoadTrek RS. They work well and not expensive. Allow you to keep the driver and passenger windows open when camping. Use magnets to attach to outside of coach.
Patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks
Michael
We have used SkeeterBeaters for 4 years on our PW. They work great. Nice company with excellent customer service.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote

« B Insulation | Joe »