Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Having Class B Towed

My 2006 Roadwork 210 won't start and I have not been successful fixing it. So it needs to be towed to a repair shop. I want it towed on a flatbed rollback. The company recommended by the repair shop said it was too heavy for their rollback. Another tow company said he could handle the weight: 8500-9000 lb.

Any experience or recommendations on having your class B towed?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
My 2006 Roadwork 210 won't start and I have not been successful fixing it. So it needs to be towed to a repair shop. I want it towed on a flatbed rollback. The company recommended by the repair shop said it was too heavy for their rollback. Another tow company said he could handle the weight: 8500-9000 lb.

Any experience or recommendations on having your class B towed?
When the front wheel bearing locked up, ours went in on a rollback. You have to make sure they have some boards to put down at the ramp start so the ground affects don't hit. Also the cable can rub on the front air dam.

One of their concerns was the route to the dealer, as the setup would up pretty high.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I had my long tall Sprinter towed on a flatbed courtesy of Mercedes Roadside after a botched repair by dealer. It happened at evening rush hour. I had to wait for a flatbed truck low enough for clearance and with a crew cab so I could ride along.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I had my long tall Sprinter towed on a flatbed courtesy of Mercedes Roadside after a botched repair by dealer. It happened at evening rush hour. I had to wait for a flatbed truck low enough for clearance and with a crew cab so I could ride along.
The tow guy said the vehicle has to be under 9' tall. Not sure why. Mine is right at 9' at the top of the antenna housing. A Mercedes would be too tall for him then. I didn't realize there are lower flatbeds for taller vehicles.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

The average lowest underpass on most developed roadways in urban areas allows for around 14' of vehicle height. If the height of the flatbed is around 3'-4' and your van sits on top at around 9', you're getting close to losing your roof mounted stuff......

Interstate Highway Standards (2007)
"Vertical clearance: Minimum vertical clearance under overhead structures (including over the paved shoulders) of 16 feet (4.9 m) in rural areas and 14 feet (4.3 m) in urban areas, with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16-foot (4.9 m) clearances. Sign supports and pedestrian overpasses must be at least 17 feet (5.2 m) above the road, except on urban routes with lesser clearance, where they should be at least 1 foot (30 cm) higher than other objects."
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Had it towed today. They hooked to the frame and not the control arms which I liked. He put some boards between the chains and the front cross member. This lowered the chains to not damage the front fiberglass trim. They put boards under the rear wheels when the spare carrier was getting ready to drag. Overall he was very careful. So I gave him a $15 tip on top of the $75 charge.