Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default Headed to Oregon to test my battery powered airconditioner and see Eclipse

I'm heading down by Baker City, OR for the eclipse and am wondering if any locals know of decent camping spots. I don't need campgrounds with hookups just a place that some of the 100K people won't know about.

Thanks,
Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
jon
Platinum Member

Sorry NAZCamperVan I deleted the fist post you replied to.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
Silver Member

We are staying up in La Grande,about a 45 minute drive north of Baker City. We plan to leave around 6 am from LG, perhaps getting a jump on other drivers.

You might try either looking in LaGrande or Hu-Na-Ha RV Park in Elgin, Or.
We made our reseverations over a month ago for La Grande Hot Springs RV....they do not have any openings now......
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I know nothing's open now so I'll head up Sat with hopes of finding something....a turnout might have to do.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Jon, Much of the public land around Baker City, OR is National Forest. Good info to be found at https://www.fs.usda.gov/wallowa-whitman
Scroll down to "Eclipse Info". A few good points: since cell phone/internet systems may be overwhelmed, don't rely on apps, carry paper copy maps. Make sure you are totally self-sufficient with all water, gas, food, etc you'll need for your stay. Be patient and leave no trace. NO CAMPFIRES! From a retired US Forest Service officer
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't think heading out the morning of the event is going to cut it.

I'm going down Saturday. Scouted out the highways back in May and have a couple of wide spots picked out. Plus, there are endless farm roads in central Oregon.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

I've heard of traffic jams in Oregon already so changed route to I-90 west to Missoula MT. Then head south. I think everywhere is going to be crowded, but I think Oregon will be worst in the west. Good luck to everyone headed to the 100% zone.
We are leaving from Hamilton MT (150 miles away) early Sunday and I'm still worried about finding a spot....Thankfully I have a bathroom-ette in the van cause I'll have to sit on my spot for 24 hours if I find one.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
Silver Member

Today, Friday the 18th. Reports of traffic jams were in the Prineville area yesterday. At 2 pm today radio reports from that area said traffic moving, no backups. I did talk to some folks yesterday, they said they were on their way to a Eclipse Festival in that same area, 3 bands were going to play.
If you are going to eastern Oregon, maybe to Backer City, I-84 is the way to go from Portland. No reports of backup traffic yet.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote