Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Heading to Hershey tomorrow (Friday, Sept 12)

I'm going to check out the show tomorrow. Only one day.

If anyone has any requests for something to check on, take a pic of, please reply here and I'll try my best to accommodate you.

I'm mainly going to look at B-Vans, particularly ones on the Promaster, so I'll have a report on any I find.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Heading to Hershey tomorrow (Friday, Sept 12)

I'm jealous have a great time I'm looking forward to whatever you report on from the show. Maybe ask the reps if they're going to have anything on the Ford Transit if you get a chance.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

want to know if Roadtrek is going to use Promaster or transit. ask away
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Bronze Member

First post;

Would like to to know if Roadtrek is going to be using the 4cyl engines along with the 7 speed transmissions anytime soon.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6
First post;

Would like to to know if Roadtrek is going to be using the 4cyl engines along with the 7 speed transmissions anytime soon.

roadtrek needs the 6 cylinder engine to use the engine generator. you might be able to special order a 4 cylinder but no engine generator
Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Looks like the high idle/variable idle option is available with the 4cyl, and I would expect that there would be even more room under the hood for the add on generator. I believe that A-RV also did this with their Mzungu based on what I heard at the summer event but I can not confirm it at this time.

order docs below w/out restrictions for engine type and idle options;

http://sprinterguy.files.wordpress.com/ ... ckages.pdf
Old 09-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6
Looks like the high idle/variable idle option is available with the 4cyl, and I would expect that there would be even more room under the hood for the add on generator. I believe that A-RV also did this with their Mzungu based on what I heard at the summer event but I can not confirm it at this time.

order docs below w/out restrictions for engine type and idle options;

http://sprinterguy.files.wordpress.com/ ... ckages.pdf

all i can say is jim hammill said Roadtreks will all be 6 cylinder for the engine generator. they are even going to be ordering 6 cylinder on the Agile(currently it is 4) so they can put engine generator in that. you might question him directly.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That's Roadtrek's decision. It doesn't mean it can't be done on a 4 cylinder. When making a decision at Advanced RV on 4 or 6 cylinder there was no discussion about limitations between the two. I'll be heading out to Advanced RV soon so will check again but I am fairly sure that the 4 cylinder Mzungu concept B built last year had the second alternator as black88mx6 mentions. Also, in reading Advanced RV's website they mention the second alternator as a standard with no limiting conditions.

Anyway, back to Hershey. Wincrasaher65, check out that Promaster P-W Lexor and find out where all the tanks are. Look to see if anyone else shows up with a Promaster. Maybe Great West Vans?

Meanwhile, I am going to the Fall RV Show at the Anoka County Fairgrounds today. Lake Region RVs will have a Roadtrek TS Adventurous there and their Alabama built Great West Van Legend I mentioned before. http://metrorvdealers.com/
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
That's Roadtrek's decision. It doesn't mean it can't be done on a 4 cylinder. When making a decision at Advanced RV on 4 or 6 cylinder there was no discussion about limitations between the two. I'll be heading out to Advanced RV soon so will check again but I am fairly sure that the 4 cylinder Mzungu concept B built last year had the second alternator as black88mx6 mentions. Also, in reading Advanced RV's website they mention the second alternator as a standard with no limiting conditions.

Anyway, back to Hershey. Wincrasaher65, check out that Promaster P-W Lexor and find out where all the tanks are. Look to see if anyone else shows up with a Promaster. Maybe Great West Vans?

Meanwhile, I am going to the Fall RV Show at the Anoka County Fairgrounds today. Lake Region RVs will have a Roadtrek TS Adventurous there and their Alabama built Great West Van Legend I mentioned before. http://metrorvdealers.com/

Davydd-i did not say it could not be done. I said Roadtrek was not going to do it.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd

Davydd-i did not say it could not be done. I said Roadtrek was not going to do it.
And I did say that was Roadtrek's decision. You worded in such a way that both black88mx6 and I took it to mean that Roadtrek determined it couldn't be done. Now tell me why Roadtrek will not do it on a 4 cylinder. That's rhetorical, BTW. We already know the answer. It's proprietary.

There was no TS Adventurous at the Anoka County Fairgrounds RV show as I thought. They had an RS-Etrek, a CS Adventurous, RS-Adventurous and Agile there. They also had a Ranger and a Popular 190 4x4. Also a GWVan Legend and a Midwest day cruiser Sprinter along with a bunch of Citation Class Cs. Lake Region RVs also reps Leisure Travel Vans but did not have any at the show. If you wanted an LTV today, right now, you won't get delivery of one until next May. They are backed up that much as they are building them as fast as they can. They have more capacity but they can't get and hire qualified workers.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I may be heading to the show tomorrow. While it is a 5 hour trip from NE Ohio, my other half seems to now like the idea of a road trip. Wish the weather forecast was better.

So now that we are past the reason that it can't be done. I can see that RT would not want to introduce the 4cyl until there is time to test, customer demand and the buy-down of their current inventory of V6 units. Those that buy sprinter chassis are mostly fleet, and they care about overall maintenance and fuel costs. My belief is this will tip the scales quickly in favor of the he 4cyl models.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Well, I had a good time at the show. The weather was beautiful, but it was a lot to take in with only one day to spend there. Although, if you're not interested in travel trailers/fifth wheels, you can cut it down 70%.

I'll post tomorrow with my pics and observations. Too tired to do that tonite.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Platinum Member

You might be right about the 4 cylinder. People on Sprinter-Source.com are not having any negative reaction to it and claim it can drive the Rocky Mountains. I test drove the 4 cylinder Advanced RV Mzungu and found it acceptable and probably better than my former 5 cylinder B. The only negative I would give it is it is not as fast getting up to speed on a freeway ramp as a 6 cylinder but then again probably out does a lot of 4 cylinder sedans on the road in that regard.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Platinum Member

It's all about the gearing. I'd think that, if the top gear is not too high, that the 7-speed would get alot more out of that smaller engine.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Did I miss something here? Is this the Hershey thread. Why are you talking about Sprinters when you should be talking about chocolate?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I like this one

Where are you wincrasher? Can't wait for you to tell us what you saw at the Hershey show.
Attached Images
File Type: png hershey-bars-milk-chocolate-almonds_lg.png (21.6 KB, 472 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I'm just now getting over my sugar-coma. I'll have something posted either tonite or tomorrow. Had to work today
Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
Bronze Member

We made it to Harrisburg. Will check out the show tomorrow morning. Talked to several people that went to the show today and they said the rain made it miserable.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Done with the show in about 3 hours. Was fist in at 9 before it got busy and was able to talk to mfg reps of both Roadtrek and LTV. Was able to see all the RoadTrek models including a prototype of the new TS. Talked a bit about the 4cyl with both RT and LTV. will post more later after out 5 hour trip home.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #20

Davydd, I'm curious to know if you have any thoughts about the quality of the build of the Great West Van Legend that you saw at Anoka, since it is the first built in Alabama? We are seriously considering a purchase of the GW Classic on the Promaster (if we can get any photos of it!), or the PW Lexor Promaster. We like the fact that GW will do some customizing and can probably give us a floorplan we like better than the PW Promaster, but are a little nervous about buying an RV built mostly by people very new to the process, and on a new chassis for the company, all piled on top of their move.
archeogal is offline   Reply With Quote