Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #1

Default Help deside on an RV Manufacture

Just got done looking at chassis makes and models but now it's time to deside on what RV manufacture to go with.. I'm looking at all motorhomes on the new ford transit chassis but want to know if any manufacture is using the 13,500 GCWR 350 extended high roof transit van with the 3.2 L engine? Doesn't seem like this is a popular choice of options? If there is any models i might have missed let me know just trying to look at all my options right now
whitieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
Silver Member

Check out coachmen.
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
Silver Member

It’s called the Beyond. We as it in Hershey — very nice. The more expensive unit has a decent lithium system. https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motorhomes/beyond
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
It’s called the Beyond. We as it in Hershey — very nice. The more expensive unit has a decent lithium system. https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motorhomes/beyond
Nice unit! I actually like it and it's at the top of my list but the 3.7 L engine and only 11,200 GCWR is a deal breaker for me as I'd like to also do some towing with it maybe in the future
Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Gold Member

Think your looking at a custom conversion for that combo.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The Transit 3.2 diesel engine has been discontinued and is being replaced by a more fuel efficient 2.0L bi-turbo diesel option on the 2020 models.

The 2019 Transit's 3.5L ecoboost gas engine has a 13,000 GCWR when combined with the 3.73 axle ratio and towing package. The gas drivetrain is about 100 pounds lighter than the diesel and it's supposed to get a 300 lb GVWR boost for 2020. So I suspect it will have the best net towing capability of the new models.

We've got a friend that tows a big Airstream trailer using that EcoBoost 3.5 / 3.73 axle ratio combination. It outruns our Sprinter on steep Colorado passes.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
The Transit 3.2 diesel engine has been discontinued and is being replaced by a more fuel efficient 2.0L bi-turbo diesel option on the 2020 models.

The 2019 Transit's 3.5L ecoboost gas engine has a 13,000 GCWR when combined with the 3.73 axle ratio and towing package. The gas drivetrain is about 100 pounds lighter than the diesel and it's supposed to get a 300 lb GVWR boost for 2020. So I suspect it will have the best net towing capability of the new models.

We've got a friend that tows a big Airstream trailer using that EcoBoost 3.5 / 3.73 axle ratio combination. It outruns our Sprinter on steep Colorado passes.
I'll be looking at the towing capacity on the new models but I'm not doing awd because it might gets 2mpg less and have lowrer powered engine options..
Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
Think your looking at a custom conversion for that combo.
That's unfortunate... It's the best combo for most amount of storage and towing capacity
Old 10-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Go Custom

If you can afford to pay a bit more, I suggest going with a custom builder. There are many of them out there now and they will build exactly what you want and at MUCH higher quality and attention to detail than any of the major brands.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketList
Comment: I will be looking at this vehicle. Do you know if any RV manufacturers build on this model?
Regards,
BucketList
I don't know of any stock RV manufacturers using the 13000 GCVR EcoBoost Transit with full towing package, but a number of custom builders can build on it.
Here are a few of the more prominent:

VanDoIt (Transit only), Kansas City
Van Specialities, Oregon
Sportsmobile, CA, NV, TX, IN

VanDoIt and Van Specialities tend to be oriented towards more spare adventure style vans. Sportsmobile offers a quite broad range of designs from adventure vans to more traditional RV touring rigs.

I'm sure others can suggest additional options.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
I don't know of any stock RV manufacturers using the 13000 GCVR EcoBoost Transit with full towing package, but a number of custom builders can build on it.
Here are a few of the more prominent:

VanDoIt (Transit only), Kansas City
Van Specialities, Oregon
Sportsmobile, CA, NV, TX, IN

VanDoIt and Van Specialities tend to be oriented towards more spare adventure style vans. Sportsmobile offers a quite broad range of designs from adventure vans to more traditional RV touring rigs.

I'm sure others can suggest additional options.
My 2017 Winnebago Paseo (Ford Transit T350HD) has the 10360 GVWR, and according to the Ford Commercial Brochure for that model, it has a 13000 lb GCVWR although it is really hard to get definitive information on that...

So theoretically I can load 1600 lbs of stuff in my van (1950ish lbs cargo carrying capacity shown on the Winnebago sticker) and still be able to tow a 3000 lb trailer. We do tow a roughly 2000 lb enclosed trailer pretty much all the time with it.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
Silver Member

What are the other Class B's your considering? Were looking as well and like the Ford/Beyond too.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote