Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
FYI-

The smog requirements in California are probably the most stringent in the nation.
Here's the emissions requirements below.....

I hope your vehicle is excluded .... otherwise, you're subject
By the time your vehicle is over 21 years old.... I'm guessing that you'll want a newer model?

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older

If your vehicle fails to pass...you will not be able to get your vehicle registration.. effectively grounding you... without extensive repairs.... cost will be extremely expensive. Read what happens if your vehicle is identified as a "gross polluter"....

Of course if you don't live in California...you won't have to worry about these regulations.
One final thing many states are adopting new emissions requirements all the time... climate change is real and the newer vehicles are lower on the carbon footprint....

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dmv/vr/smogfaq
What I think you are missing is that all states (including California) set their allowable level of emissions according to the model year of the vehicle being tested. So, a 2007 Sprinter (for example) is allowed to pollute more than a 2018 model. There is never a requirement for a vehicle to be cleaner than it was when it came from the factory, so Boxster will be fine for as long as he wishes to keep his vehicle on the road. This is why the pre-DEF NCV3s are so desirable..
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default YES, I understand... but, that's NOT at all what I'm saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What I think you are missing is that all states (including California) set their allowable level of emissions according to the model year of the vehicle being tested. So, a 2007 Sprinter (for example) is allowed to pollute more than a 2018 model. There is never a requirement for a vehicle to be cleaner than it was when it came from the factory, so Boxster will be fine for as long as he wishes to keep his vehicle on the road. This is why the pre-DEF NCV3s are so desirable..

YES.... that's correct..... I know that the standards are for the year of manufacture, but, if they cannot pass then they will be unable to be registered.....

Of course you don't need it to be like a 2018....

You can only keep a vehicle on the road as long as it can pass emissions..... older vehicles have difficulties with this....if you have ever kept one of your vehicles long enough you will find out. Every vehicle is different, I had a 12 year old domestic car that couldn't pass emissions and it required a lot work for it to pass.... it wasn't cheap.

Sure, you can always throw money at this........ I can only imagine how expensive it would be to bring a gross polluter diesel engine back into passing territory....

As for pre-DEF vehicles.... with an engine that has more NVH ( noise vibrations and harshness).... I'd rather have the smoother cleaner running engine.... sorry...my two cents.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default More ....read this......

Quote:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1123716
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
YES.... that's correct..... I know that the standards are for the year of manufacture, but, if they cannot pass then they will be unable to be registered.....

Of course you don't need it to be like a 2018....

You can only keep a vehicle on the road as long as it can pass emissions..... older vehicles have difficulties with this....if you have ever kept one of your vehicles long enough you will find out. Every vehicle is different, I had a 12 year old domestic car that couldn't pass emissions and it required a lot work for it to pass.... it wasn't cheap.

Sure, you can always throw money at this........ I can only imagine how expensive it would be to bring a gross polluter diesel engine back into passing territory....

As for pre-DEF vehicles.... with an engine that has more NVH ( noise vibrations and harshness).... I'd rather have the smoother cleaner running engine.... sorry...my two cents.
Well, then I have no idea what your point is. Pre-DEF NCV3s are mechanically nearly identical to post-DEF models. They are not noisier or harsher. T1Ns are, but that is exactly the point that makes pre-DEF NCV3s so desirable. If you are suggesting that a well-maintained vehicle from that era is or will soon be prohibitively-expensive to keep emissions compliant, well I just don't believe you. Compared to the nightmare of DEF-equipped Sprinters, those engines are a dream.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default Older Non DEF Sprinters

Quote:
Well, then I have no idea what your point is. Pre-DEF NCV3s are mechanically nearly identical to post-DEF models. They are not noisier or harsher. T1Ns are, but that is exactly the point that makes pre-DEF NCV3s so desirable. If you are suggesting that a well-maintained vehicle from that era is or will soon be prohibitively-expensive to keep emissions compliant, well I just don't believe you. Compared to the nightmare of DEF-equipped Sprinters, those engines are a dream.
OK... I see...the pre-Mercedes Dodge Sprinter has better quality control than Mercedes?? I'm NOT a fan of the Dodge vehicles... And, maybe you are correct about them being quieter... YES... I was thinking about the earlier TN1.

On the emissions.... here's the point I'm trying to convey...the older a vehicle gets with advanced age years and mileage...the more difficult it will be to pass emissions.
I generally don't like older vehicles; they are less safe.

If you or someone else you know has a pre-DEF version and are happy with that.. great!

When the day comes when it will NOT pass emissions... and this could happen to a DEF Sprinter as well... you'd better be prepared to have it brought into compliance with the emissions or it will NOT be allowed to be re-registered in the state of California....

That's all I can tell you...

Aside from that...no one can guarantee that a pre-DEF will be any better than a DEF Sprinter.... It's all about maintenance and keeping your vehicle in good condition.

Finally, DEF Sprinters are doing their part to clean up the air quality... Don't know how you could be against that??
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Aside from that...no one can guarantee that a pre-DEF will be any better than a DEF Sprinter.... It's all about maintenance and keeping your vehicle in good condition.

Finally, DEF Sprinters are doing their part to clean up the air quality... Don't know how you could be against that??
I am certainly NOT against that. I strongly oppose the folks who think it is OK to install emissions defeat devices. And, yes, I agree that newer vehicles are cleaner and better for the environment. You will recall that I own a DEF Sprinter and am glad for its cleanliness. But, running a unmodified pre-DEF Sprinter is within the law, so I would never criticize anyone for doing so as long as they like. The assumption that people will do so is baked into the regulations and so is fair game.

What I AM against is crappy engineering, and it is simply irrefutable that the Sprinter DEF system is a monumentally crappy piece of engineering. And, yes, I can most certainly guarantee that as a statistical matter, pre-DEF Sprinters will indeed be better (i.e., cost less to maintain) than DEF Sprinters.

I realize that you very much want to believe that your vehicle's DEF problems are behind you. I hope so too--on your vehicle as well as mine. But wishes don't catch fishes.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Dodge Sprinters were made in the same factory in Düsseldorf, Germany with the Mercedes and Freightliner Sprinters.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
That's the Crossfit 22C layout on the Ford Transit. Plenty of room behind the driver's seat (which we fill up with the catbox) and compressor fridge, but no lithium at the moment - possibly in the fall. NO idea why the pic is sideways...
They are already offering a lithium battery option in their Galleria model so it doesn't seem like it would be hard to add this option to the Crossfit at some point.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
They are already offering a lithium battery option in their Galleria model so it doesn't seem like it would be hard to add this option to the Crossfit at some point.
The problem with fitting in the Crossfit is the size of that big Lithionics battery. It's pretty big and barely fits in the Sprinter. They would most likely have to go with a smaller battery, or a scheme with 2 batteries, but that is also problematic as it gobbles up alot of storage space inside the van.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The problem with fitting in the Crossfit is the size of that big Lithionics battery. It's pretty big and barely fits in the Sprinter. They would most likely have to go with a smaller battery, or a scheme with 2 batteries, but that is also problematic as it gobbles up alot of storage space inside the van.
I imagine that Lithionics can dimension the battery container to make best use of any particular storage area and as you suggest, dropping the battery capacity to 400ah would both reduce the dimensions and the option cost.

And, if they eliminate the Onan generator and implement a GU, perhaps the battery can be located in the Onan's place. However, I don't know if a GU can be implemented on the Transit. But even if above chassis, the Galleria lithium battery, for example, is located under the power sofa and while it does consume cubic, IMO that space is of secondary value because even though it technically is interior storage, to access this area you have to exit the coach and get to it by opening the rear doors which can be a PITA. One version of the Crossfit has a power sofa similar to the Galleria.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #31

You can find Winnebago Travatos or Hymer Aktivs used for about 60k, check out Best time RV in Las Vegas, they rent them. Good idea to rent one for a a weekend.
Jujupang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #32

We downsized from a 40' DP to a new Phoenix Cruiser. These are first class, well-made motorhomes. There are several nice used models on RVTrader and also at Phoenix USA in Elkhart, IN. Phoenix USA has been a pleasure to work with.
bftownes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
A couple years ago they implemented retroactive emissions on ALL commercial trucks
Can you document this? I do not believe that there has EVER been a retroactive emissions standard imposed on on-road vehicles anywhere in the US. In 2009, there was some talk in California of a retroactive emissions on diesel off-road construction equipment, but I can find no evidence that anything ever came of it.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #34
Silver Member

No problem my man. Here's the docs from the state [moderator edit] Skip to Main Content.

CA.gov California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board state of ca link arb twitter icon arb youtube link arb linked in site link email link Calendars | Help & FAQs | Contact
Statewide search:
Search ARB
Search
AboutOur Work Resources Business Assistance Rulemaking News
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Up Links
Reducing Air Pollution - ARB Programs
Diesel Program
Mobile Vehicles and Equipment
Mobile Sources
Manufacturers
Operators
Statewide Truck and Bus Regulation
Program Links
Background
Currently Verified Technologies
Diesel Exhaust Retrofits
Current Regulation and Advisories
Fact Sheets
The Truck Stop
Compliance Assistance Tools
Related Links
Rulemaking Documents
2014 Amendments
Background Materials
2010 Amendments"
Background Materials
Training
Truck Regulations Advisory Committee (TRAC)
What's New Archive
Workshops / Meetings
Resources
Contact Us
Join the Truck and Bus Regulation Email List
RSS / Newsfeedrss icon
Truck and Bus Regulation
On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation
This page last reviewed July 25, 2018

On Road Vehicles

Background:

The regulation requires diesel trucks and buses that operate in California to be upgraded to reduce emissions. Newer heavier trucks and buses must meet PM filter requirements beginning January 1, 2012. Lighter and older heavier trucks must be replaced starting January 1, 2015. By January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will need to have 2010 model year engines or equivalent.

The regulation applies to nearly all privately and federally owned diesel fueled trucks and buses and to privately and publicly owned school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds. At this phase of implementation, the regulation provides limited flexibility options and vehicle owners must report to claim options they are eligible for, such as the Low-Use exemption, NOx Exempt Area extension, and Heavy Crane Phase-In Option.

Senate Bill 1 (SB1) allows only vehicles compliant with the Truck and Bus regulation to be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). It is vital that you accurately report VINs, plate numbers, and engine information in the Truck Regulations Upload, Compliance and Reporting System (TRUCRS) if using a flexibility option. Failure to report required information accurately could delay California DMV registration starting in 2020.

For other information about this regulation, other diesel engine regulations, or training programs, please contact an ARB diesel representative at 866-6DIESEL (866-634-3735) or visit the Truck Stop website.

Please sign up to receive email updates at the Truck and Bus Regulation Listserve.

What's New:

CTA/Lawson Lawsuit: 2014 Truck & Bus Regulation Amendments Affected (July 25, 201
In 2014, to void the flexibility options provided in the 2014 amendments to the Truck and Bus regulation, John R. Lawson Rock and Oil of Fresno and the California Trucking Association sued the California Air Resources Board. On January 31, 2018 the court ruled to void the 2014 amendments. Details on the potential impact can be found on the TruckStop page.
Three Day Pass Now Online (July 12, 2017)
Vehicle owners are now able to claim a Three Day Pass online. Read the Three Day Pass Online User Guide to see if you are eligible to claim a Three Day Pass for one vehicle per fleet per year.

What's New Archive

Back to Top | All ARB Contacts | A-Z Index
Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
Conditions of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility | Bilingual Services Complaints | Civil Rights Policy
How to Request Public Records
The Board is one of six boards, departments, and offices under
the umbrella of the California Environmental Protection Agency.
Cal/EPA | ARB | CalRecycle |DPR | DTSC | OEHHA | SWRCB
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #35
Site Team

Thanks. You appear to be correct. I am both surprised and pleased. Big rig emissions are a nightmare.

Some notes:
--This applies to diesel vehicles with a GVWR of more than 14,000lbs.
--The target for completion of the program is January 1, 2023.
--The requirement at that time will be compliance to the standards of MY2010.

Seems pretty modest and sensible, IMO.

For anyone who wants to see the original website, here is the link:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm
Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Not surprised that California is continuing to tighten emissions requirements. It's part of a global trend. Diesels in cars are pretty much dinasors now after VWs diesel scandal. They will stay in heavy trucks for now as there isn't any reasonable replacement yet. Here is a story about what's happening in Europe.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...el-Europe-cars
Old 08-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #37
Platinum Member

I just read some of the additional pages on the California diesel emissions rules. Turns out motothomes and RVs are exempt.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks...htm#hideexempt
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #38

Default Downsizing to a Class B

Simply stated...there is no better Class B manufacturer in the market place than Advanced RV. If you are coming down from a large DP, you need to take the time to look at what Advanced RV builds before you make your decision. Good luck in your searches and finally, good travels....
jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #39
Site Team

Moderator hat on: Several posts have been removed from this thread as they run afoul of the site rules about political comment and political topics. Please keep your posts on the subject of the board. The grenades lobbed into topics that are politically loaded are not appropriate at this board.

Members here have widely varying political views. There are many good places on the internet to have those discussions however this site is dedicated to RV and camping topics. Please report problem posts when you see them and the site team will have a look.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Default Thank you Booster for pointing this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just read some of the additional pages on the California diesel emissions rules. Turns out motothomes and RVs are exempt.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks...htm#hideexempt
Brings this into perspective.....lots of hysteria here about California.

Those of us who live here are very grateful for the emissions standards...it has been a huge improvement in air quality......

Please remember that California has over 55 million people and is the most populated state. It is the 5th largest economy in the world.

Just plain facts....