Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Help!! Newbie trying to figure out what brand/model to buy...

Hi- I'm brand new here, never owned an RV. My wife got me excited about buying a Class B, and we went to look at models for the first time on Saturday. This is more complicated than I realized! I'm hoping some of you can point us in the right direction.

We have decided we want the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter chassis. We would use the van for road trips, either my wife and grandson, or both of us alone, or both of us and grandson, and would also like to have room for another couple at times. So, need to sleep and seat 4. We want something easy to drive and park, so leaning toward a 22 ft, but maybe 24 ft if they aren't much harder to drive.

We are used to comfort(not roughing it) so we would be happiest with more upper-end brands. We def. want a functional shower & desk space(we work from home and would want that capability on the road). We also need to be able to charge multiple devices daily.

We need excellent air conditioning in order to sleep well. I've heard running the a/c with the engine off is LOUD on many models, is this true? We REALLY would like a top-quality mattress, as we sleep on Tempur Pedic due to my back issues.

We want a functional tv(as big a screen as possible) and internet access is a must(both still working). We also are looking for low-maintenance and ease of use, and DEPENDABILITY-I am not a handyman, so if it breaks we will have to depend on dealers to fix. We live about 30 min. from RV World, a large dealership.

Budget is bet. $65,000 to $110,000. Right now we're considering a very slightly used 2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous and also a new 2015 Roadtrek E-Trek. But honestly, I don't know if these are good choices for us, or if there may be something better. We considered having one customized, but the truth is we know so little about how everything works, it probably isn't worth all the extra time and effort involved.

Can anyone give us some advice on what brands/models we should look at?

Thanks!!
pingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Id refer you to a in depth post I made a short while ago on a similar topic:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post44742

Also, in a B van its not easy getting all those boxes checked. Most of the time the wet bathrooms are very tiny for one thing. Would you consider a B+ or do you just want a van.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When looking at RVs to sleep 4, make sure that you find out the measurements of the beds and compare those to regular beds. RV beds are usually not standard sizes, and many of them aren't even rectangular. RV beds are also notoriously small and words like "king" and "queen" are used liberally to describe beds of all sizes and shapes.

If you find an RV that you otherwise like, you might consider having some foam custom cut to fit.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

we may consider a B+- any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman View Post
we may consider a B+- any suggestions?
pingman you have posted the same question two minutes apart on two different threads on this forum. That doesn't help you get an answer, it just confuses everyone trying to give you answers. I see you have some great responses on your first post over under Welcome Wagon - New Member Intros.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f4...-buy-5562.html

Good luck on your search.

- - Mike
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I really suggest you go to a major RV show where all types and models of RVs are displayed and bring the two extra people with you to sit and move around for a while in them. It will give you an idea how comfortable they are at night or during a storm or if you have to be inside for an extended amount of time. Some people are quite content in confined spaces, other can be miserable. It could be the difference between flying coach or 1st class in the decision you make.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

sorry about the dual posts- new here, and wasn't sure if the 1st post was in the right location.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

any suggestions on where to look for the best RV shows?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman View Post
sorry about the dual posts- new here, and wasn't sure if the 1st post was in the right location.
you can send a message to the moderator to merge the two posts.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

You say you live by Coach House. If you want a B+ they are just about as good as it gets. I put them right below Leisure Travel in terms of best RVs on the road. Their shell is the best in the industry.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote