Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Default Help Wanted: Dodge Xplorer How Much??

I saw a 1999 Dodge Xplorer listed for $37000 with 52000 miles in good condition. In the photos it looked pretty nice. Of course I will have it looked at, but in the meantime I need help in pricing. I used the Nada as a guide to help me start but there was such a big difference in average price $15K and sellers price $37K.

If it is in a good condition (as the seller said it is and he is willing to negotiate), how much do you think a person should try to negotiate it for??

I'm new to bargaining so any suggestion would help me along. I just don't want to be "that one" that got suckered.
katylin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I took a look. It has a unique combined set of features.

permanent dinette
push button sofa to bed
duallies
rear air suspension
solar - check wattage and type of controller - could be older on/off type
4000W generator
slide out storage tray
awning style windows
good side entry height clearance

Someone should sell a brand new van like that - there probably would be a waiting list!

The long rear overhang would require highway test drive to see how it feels. The air suspension and dual rear wheels would contribute to stability. Sometimes, low mileage indicates the unit was uncomfortable to drive. I'm not suggesting that is the reason for the low mileage at the 3rd owner point for that van - just something to be aware of and check for yourself.

It appears to have across the rear orientation for sleeping on the plan. If so, that mean one person would have to climb over or otherwise disturb the other to get out of bed. The photo however could indicate that is has a front to rear sleeping orientation. That would be nice.

Check the DOT codes on the 7 tires (including spare). If old, replacement would cost a fair bit.

The problem on future resales will be the age. It's coming up on 18 years. Repairs/replacing items eventually like fridge, propane related, van parts etc. would not be unexpected.

I really like it but couldn't go anywhere near that price
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree with Marko, those are nice features, and hopefully the duallies would take care of the Dodge tendencies to be pushed around on the highway, as the 1999 was one of the years of concern.

At $37K you are into the range of of mid 2000's Chevy Roadtrek 190s, and other similar brands and models, with the same mileage. Many of those would sleep front to back, which for many of us is a big deal.

It would be too high a price for me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Somehow Xplorer have celebrity status, and as such, are always in demand.

The market prices reflect the enthusiasm.

I would not chase after the name; there are better fish in the pond.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This is what works for me at dealerships. You can tweek it when buying off a private seller.

Negotiate an out the door price so they don't try to include BS fees when signing the papers.

Remember, you are not there to be friends with the sales person. Be stern and let them know you are willing to walk out.

Bring in printouts of other RV's for sale from other places. If they see you looking at them after coming back from talking to the manager, a deal will be made in your favor (from my experience).

It never hurts to ask for free add-ons such as them installing Max-Air vents etc.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the input! It was great sage advice. LOL I may be a newbie but I could tell it was pricey. I just wasn't sure how much (if I could) negotiate.

Hmmm.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

You're so right about the price close to a Roadtrek. I was even looking into one, but the price was out of my range. Just like this Dodge I'm looking at. That's why I'm asking what would be the a good negotiation price point.

If you have any good suggestion for another camper van, I love the suggestion. Thanks!!!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #8

Default Any Suggestion for a CAmper?

Some suggested that the Dodge is overrated. You might be right. But researching online without a specific name all I get is a lot of conversion van results. The ones that pops up on searches are the popular ones like the Roadtrek, Winnebago etc.

I am looking for one late 2000 with all amenities (of course), geared for a single person is fine. Conditioned for a non-mechanical person. So basically, works great. LOL

Thanks for all the comments I'm getting.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Dodge 318 engine is a bullet proof workhorse.

They are known for good gas mileage and reliability.

But whatever you can find in the marketplace now,
most of them are high in the odometer.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
Platinum Member

you are absolutely right about the dodge and the 318, I have a 1997 dodge roadtrek, and it just keeps on running, been everywhere in it, and I still cant believe it hasn't broken down on me yet, parts are easy to come by , I think it is a great combination, but as others have said, $37,000 is a lot of money , I see a lot of late 90s roadtreks going for around the $10,000 range, some less and some more, if your willing to do some work on them, you can get it for a great deal, the way I think of it is like this, I have just as much fun in my old and reliable roadtrek as does the people in the new and expensive model, they are nice to look at,and probably have nicer finishes, but I realy like to live without any monthly payments, that's the real happiness for me,,,,,,Good luck in your search, just take your time, I looked for 6 months until I found a really good deal that worked for me, go out and see different models, and different manufacturers, so you really know what works for you,, then when the right one comes around, youll know that its a good deal,,,,,take care,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The unit in question had a 360ci, I think, which IMO is a better choice for any heavy vehicle. Longer stroke for better low end torque and bigger diameter main bearings. The only downside of the 360 is that Chrysler tended to put heads on them that were not very well matched to the low end characteristics of the rest of the engine. If one wants to do it, there are some pretty easy head swaps that can make the 360 a torque and horsepower engine, on regular gas. I have built 360s with modified 318 heads (360 valve size) that could make more hp and torque than most would believe, in the 330hp and 350lb-ft range, and they were with RV grind cams so good low end.

The weak spot on many of the 318 and 360 engines is that they tend to crack the heads between the valves, although many of them will run for a long time after cracking before they start to leak either water of combustion.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

saw this at the FB ClassB forum.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-10-22 21.07.jpg (60.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-23-2016, 01:14 AM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

here's the ad.

98 230xlw camper 62000 miles. Great little camper for 2 people. Sleeps 3-dinette-refrigerator runs on electric or gas-microwave-tv with dvd-heat and air- bathroom with toilet shower and sink-hot water heater.
Air conditioner and heater
Generator
Dual wheels
Clean in great condition.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/rvs/5839653640.html
Old 10-23-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

here's the ad.

98 230xlw camper 62000 miles. Great little camper for 2 people. Sleeps 3-dinette-refrigerator runs on electric or gas-microwave-tv with dvd-heat and air- bathroom with toilet shower and sink-hot water heater.
Air conditioner and heater
Generator
Dual wheels
Clean in great condition.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/rvs/5839653640.html
With most going for way more than that, the first question would have to be if it is a real ad or phishers. No phone number is always a bit suspicious for RVs, and we hear that many of the Craigslist RV add are not legit.