Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Default Help with decision on RoadTrek Agile SS

We have been researching on this forum and others as well as looking and driving various class b sprinter vans for some time. We now have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Road Trek Agile SS with 50,000 miles for $69,000. It seems like a really good price(well below what NADA shows) and we are wondering about going ahead and buying it even though we are not sure about it having enough room for us and our dogs. We are thinking we could try it out and if we wanted something a little bigger the price is low enough we would do ok trading it in on a Plateau or the like. We are looking for input from others as to rather this idea makes sense or ... not so much!
grifhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help with decision on RoadTrek Agile SS

The SS Agile will have less room inside than a full length Sprinter but it is only about 1 foot shorter than the full size Chevy models that were the norm not long ago. Parking will be easy. That does look like a very good price.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #3

Anyone else have any advise/suggestions?
Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifhawk
We have been researching on this forum and others as well as looking and driving various class b sprinter vans for some time. We now have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Road Trek Agile SS with 50,000 miles for $69,000. It seems like a really good price(well below what NADA shows) and we are wondering about going ahead and buying it even though we are not sure about it having enough room for us and our dogs. We are thinking we could try it out and if we wanted something a little bigger the price is low enough we would do ok trading it in on a Plateau or the like. We are looking for input from others as to rather this idea makes sense or ... not so much!

when you say dogs. how big and how many. how long would you go on a trip. seems kind of tight
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #5

We have two dogs - one 70 lbs and one 20 lbs. Until I retire in a year or so, trips will probably be limited to two weeks a few times a year and many 3 or 4 day long weekend trips.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifhawk
We have two dogs - one 70 lbs and one 20 lbs. Until I retire in a year or so, trips will probably be limited to two weeks a few times a year and many 3 or 4 day long weekend trips.

well there are people that do it. Mike Wedland who runs roadtreking.com has himself,wife,and a siberian huskie(i think its that breed) and seems to do fine. you should ask him

http://roadtreking.com/
Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Mike Wendland drives a regular body Roadtrek Sprinter not an agile. There is a big difference in my mind. I have met couples with RT Agile and P-W Ascent short body Sprinters with dogs. It can be done. I've known Class B people with 3 big dogs. In fact it seems the majority of the people we get together with at RV.net B rallies and BEE Socials have dogs. With an Agile, transporting is an issue if one insists on having a secure cage for their dogs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #8

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #9

Does the price seem good enough that it would be reasonable to try the Agile and figure we could trade it in on something like a Plateau or Free Spirit if it was too small and come out ok?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I really avoided your original question

It's a lot of money even at that price so you need to be sure. In my part of the world another $10,000 in tax would be payable. You seem to have done your homework and know you want a Class B. The missing piece that will help the most is the trade in value. I suggest calling a few dealers to get an idea of the trade in value. Even a ballpark figure will help.

Also, if there's at least a very good chance that you think you can make this unit work for your needs then that makes the decision easier. If you already know that it won't work out and expect to trade it in I would avoid that. I remember getting some ridiculously low trade in numbers on a 2 yr old unit Chevy based Class B.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You never get as much in trade in as you think you should. What usually happens is the amount you get is the additional amount you would get off of the vehicle you are buying. It's sort of when buying a car-you never really know.

the only way to get the absolute best is to sell the vehicle to another buyer then negotiate the best deal you can-it is easier to trade though.

i think you need to figure out someway to test-rental maybe?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Weekend trips when you're sure the weather will be nice will probably be ok. Longer trips with unpredictable weather might be a problem. Two wet dogs will make the Agile seem very small. We have an 80 pound pup and a RS, which seems very small on rainy days. (The RS, not the pup.)
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

Thank you all so much for the help with thinking this through!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
Site Team

Rule #1: ALWAYS negotiate your final price before even discussing trade-in. They are separate transactions--treat them as such. That is the only way to know what is really happening.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote