Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default heres a different idea for a kayak rack

Hi, we were out last week kayaking up in Quebec, when a van pulled up with a very unique set up for a kayak rack, its hard to see in the pics, but there is an electric winch on top that helps lower the kayak, its actually a pretty cool design.it sure is high, but it works and gets the kayaks to where your going,,,,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170720_082403.jpg (168.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_082424.jpg (157.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_112156.jpg (172.4 KB, 20 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We ran across this setup a couple of years ago, too bad the kayaks were already off the rack. Looked very well done. The trailer tongue wheel to support it while hinging it out was a cool idea.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post15950
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Hi, we were out last week kayaking up in Quebec, when a van pulled up with a very unique set up for a kayak rack, its hard to see in the pics, but there is an electric winch on top that helps lower the kayak, its actually a pretty cool design.it sure is high, but it works and gets the kayaks to where your going,,,,,,,,
Nice! Unfortunately waaaayyyyy out of my level of expertise to design and build.

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It looks like one of those ladder mechanisms, modified. Contractors routinely put big extension ladders up on their high roofs. There's a crank system to raise and lower the ladder rack down over the side of the van for personnel access.

Personally I gave up on the idea of carrying a rigid kayak on our van. I think one would have to be really serious about kayaking to go to all that trouble and then what happens to the van's aerodynamic stability with a contraption like that? I haven't seen a single example of any device on the market that really inspired my confidence, whether roof-mounted or rear-mounted. Rear-mounted of course opens up the additional possibility of theft.

For the less serious, there's plenty of tame fun that can be had in inshore quieter-water environments with an inflatable kayak, rather than a rigid model. This past weekend, I finally got around to sewing a custom roof carrier for ours. It fits neatly under the leading edge of our solar panels. Blog post with instructions here, and here's a pic of the finished product:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote