Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #1

Default HOA and Class B

We live in a community with an HOA that is rather strict and prohibits RVs. Our driveway is 28 ft in length and we would like to get a Class B vehicle (Aktiv or Travato 59G) to use as a second vehicle and recreational vehicle. I've seen 2 Sprinter types parked in driveways but not sure how our HOA feels about Class B vehicles. I could ask but after my experience with one person on the board I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. On the other hand I would hate to buy one and be told I can not have it parked in my driveway. Just wondering what other people out there with Class B vehicles who live in HOA communities have experienced? Thanks.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Team

The first step is to carefully read the published rules of your HOA. What exactly do they prohibit in this regard? Opinionated board members can be a problem, but if something is allowed, their power is limited. If something is disallowed, your options are few.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree with Avanti. Also, you might ask the Sprinter owners - do those vans look like work/passenger vans or are they conversions?

You could look at the rules and see what constitutes an "RV." I always refer to mine as "van conversion." In many people's minds, a "van conversion" is not an "RV."

You might also consider locating another Class B owner nearby and asking if you can park their van for a while - I'd think an issue would take a month to surface because it will have to come up at a board meeting.

If none of the above suggestions work, you could go to a board meeting with a picture of the outside of the unit you are considering (not the inside because that is so obviously an RV)), preferably with it parked next to a large SUV or truck somewhere - maybe someone here has an image they can share with you. That would show the relative size so the board can see it's not a typical RV. You might get permission or they might change the rules to allow van conversions. Unfortunately, once you ask for "permission" from the board, you've called attention to yourself and there's no going back.

Good luck. Please let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I always refer to mine as "van conversion." In many people's minds, a "van conversion" is not an "RV."
"Touring Coach" may be even better. Sounds high class.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

According to the bylaws of my small project, RVs are banned - it is no more specific. I figured worst case, I would have to find storage. It is a Chevy based "van camper" in my current terminology and there hasn't been a peep. It fits in my driveway, and it is obvious to all that it is my daily driver and only vehicle. (not to mention that in MN, the tags say "RVE")

Personally I think the rule is to keep people from taking up all the guest parking with Class A/C rigs, 5th wheels, and boat/ATVs on trailers.

But you can't count on sneaking it past unless you have written permission from the board.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Most HOA have vague RV ban definition.
I am sure they are aiming at the derelict motorhomes or travel trailers,
and for sure they don't want anybody living in it (with laundry hanging outside).

The current batch of Class Bs are clean and handsome.

I would just put a "Mom's Taxi" sticker on it and see what they say.

As always, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. The rules are vague. Here is where they mention RVs:

"Parking Restrictions. No trucks over one ton in size, campers, recreational vehicles, motor homes, trailers, boats, unlicensed vehicles or equipment in excess of fifty (50) feet in length shall be kept or parked in or upon any portion of a Residence or a Lot between the street and the actual front yard set back line of the dwelling. If kept behind the actual front yard set back line, such items of property shall be obsured from view from the Covered Property to a height of six (6) feet or kept in an enclosed garage pursuant to section 4.13 of the CC&R's."

It almost looks like they are only restricting RVs over 50 feet in length.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If it looks RV-ish with swoopies painted on the side, our HOA is not sympathetic. I have one neighbor three doors down who tries to argue that he wants to park his rig for just ONE overnight occasionally, so that he can load it the night before and leave first thing in the morning with his family. The HOA has been merciless, going up his rear end so far that they end up staring out his own eyeballs. They simply don't want to let him do it.

Three doors down, we have a more ambiguous-appearing, non-swoopy'd rig, and I've never been confronted, even though we park it here perhaps 8 nights per month on average (while we are working on it). We've owned our rig for 3 years.

I own my own small business and I use our rig in my work from time to time. So if they ever do raise the issue with me, then I'm going to ask that they also apply equal enforcement to every other business person who is parking a business-related vehicle in their driveways in the HOA jurisdiction. That's a can of worms that any sensible person would hesitate to open.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

"Parking Restrictions. No trucks over one ton in size, campers, recreational vehicles, motor homes, trailers, boats, unlicensed vehicles or equipment in excess of fifty (50) feet in length shall be kept or parked in or upon any portion of a Residence or a Lot between the street and the actual front yard set back line of the dwelling. If kept behind the actual front yard set back line, such items of property shall be obsured from view from the Covered Property to a height of six (6) feet or kept in an enclosed garage pursuant to section 4.13 of the CC&R's."

It says "or" stuff over 50 feet, so the no camper , motorhome, thing would apply, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It says "or" stuff over 50 feet, so the no camper , motorhome, thing would apply, I think.
The scope of the "or" is totally ambiguous. If it said "no dogs, cats, or pigs over 20 pounds", could you have a 10 pound dog?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #11
Platinum Member

usually what happens is one of your immediate neighbors complains. your neighbor will deny complaining but they do.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:33 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
usually what happens is one of your immediate neighbors complains. your neighbor will deny complaining but they do.
Very true - which is why it is always wise to be friends with your immediate neighbors.

My HOA has restrictions on RVs and campers. But the rules have an exception for "Sport utility vehicles, vans, or similar vehicles designed primarily as passenger vehicles and which are not for commercial purposes". I have an Airstream Interstate that Airstream calls a "Touring Coach". They offer them with seating up to nine passengers. Mine has belted seating for eight so if questioned I'll pitch it as a passenger van. But after nearly five years I've had no issues. I've also been active in the HOA and chaired the architectural review committee for a few years. I have also taken groups of my neighbors on local outings, further cementing the role as a passenger van.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

They. Don't say you can't have an RV but they do say you have to garage it or keep it behind the front yard setback line and obscure it from view with a 6 foot high fence. If you can accomplish that your good.

I didn't argue. I recently moved into an HOA development knowing full well I couldn't keep my Class B RV there. I bought, not rented, an 18' x 45' heated garage condo 9 miles away. It is a 271 unit development for RVs, boats, car collectors, etc. There is a huge common power wash stall and a dump station. To me it is an investment that historically should return a profit on reselling but that most likely will go to my heirs along with all the junk I've collected.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM   #14

We did not want to store the vehicle as we will use it as a 2nd "car". Thinking of the Travato, Aktiv, Sunlight, Paseo or the Simplicity SRT. I thought I would get one with out the fancy decals (or remove them) and would remove the awning. We live on a small court and get along fine with our neighbors. Apparently we do have someone on our HOA that goes out looking for violations. We just got a letter saying that vegetation is to thin on one side along side the property line (I'm meticulous in keeping the front yard mowed, edged and weeded:).
Old 10-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Black out the windows.

also, omit the ladder...
the bike rack? maybe that too.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Bronze Member

I live in a restricted HOA complex and what I did was take pictures of a couple Roadtreks before I purchased one. I took them to the board and explained that I planned to use it as a daily driver. I told them that it included sleeping, bath and cooking areas. They said, since it was being used as a passenger van that it would be fine.

I should note that it hasn't got any decals on the side of it, just like the pictures that I showed for approval. Also it is to tall to fit in the garage so it is parked in my driveway.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #17

Thanks. Thought about taking pictures of possibilities and submitting to the HOA but afraid of being told no. I'm also now thinking of getting one without decals and temporarily removing the roof mounted air conditioner. I would just remount the air on extended trips to warm areas. I've also thought about going through Sportsmobile and getting a low roof Transit based vehicle conversion with their pop up roof. That would fit in my garage. Problem is the cost would be pretty high and would not have a air conditioner.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #18
Platinum Member

HOA's and some of their far fetched ideas where I lived is exactly why I live rural. I had a bass boat that I kept garaged....the HOA started their "we believe" - I sold the house, bought a lot along a lake, and now I can have the RT, boat or whatever. I believe HOA's have good intentions when started, but like anything it can go whacko! Ron
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Because most of the HOA are ran by bored people who failed in their regular life and they have a desperate need to be in charge of something.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
Platinum Member

HOAs vary. I've seen some that consider a Sprinter van similar to a high end Mercedes and will allow it, especially if the van isn't a generic white. Other HOAs just hate RVs in general due to their previous experiences, and will get people to actually pull VINs on the vehicle as proof.

I say ask and see what the HOA says. This is a lot cheaper than finding out when you get a notice or a fine.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote