Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Hose Clog

Hello. New to the forum. Yay me.
I just bought my first ClassB, a 2010 Roadtrek 190 Versatile.
The previous owner said everything has been cleared/drained from the tanks, etc.. However, our first trip out and we have 1/3+ grey water and I went to drain it and nothing came out of the hose (from the macerator). Eventually I use the "emergency" clean out to drain the tanks -- which was a good thing, but I am still stuck with "Theres a clog somewhere..."

I can't shoot water up the hose because I don't want to continue to pack up whatever is in the hose.
I believe the tanks are good as I am able to drain both easily
The macerator seems to be in good working order.
If I fully fill my grey tank (from household hose), I can get a "dribble" coming out the hose, so...

My best guess is that there is a clog in the hose from the macerator to the output. I am guessing that the previous owner drained it but there is some TP or other stuck in the hose. I tried to snake an auger but I am not able to pull whatever is in there, out. I have thoughts about crawling underneath and disconnecting the hose but that seems to be a bit much even for me.

Thoughts?
WR_MONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It could also be a failed impeller in the macerator.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_MONT View Post
Hello. New to the forum. Yay me.
I just bought my first ClassB, a 2010 Roadtrek 190 Versatile.
The previous owner said everything has been cleared/drained from the tanks, etc.. However, our first trip out and we have 1/3+ grey water and I went to drain it and nothing came out of the hose (from the macerator). Eventually I use the "emergency" clean out to drain the tanks -- which was a good thing, but I am still stuck with "Theres a clog somewhere..."

I can't shoot water up the hose because I don't want to continue to pack up whatever is in the hose.
I believe the tanks are good as I am able to drain both easily
The macerator seems to be in good working order.
If I fully fill my grey tank (from household hose), I can get a "dribble" coming out the hose, so...

My best guess is that there is a clog in the hose from the macerator to the output. I am guessing that the previous owner drained it but there is some TP or other stuck in the hose. I tried to snake an auger but I am not able to pull whatever is in there, out. I have thoughts about crawling underneath and disconnecting the hose but that seems to be a bit much even for me.

Thoughts?
Agree with the previous post. How did you conclude that the macerator seems to be OK?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Since this is your first trip:
You DID locate and open the sluice valve before operating the macerator, right? (I don't mean to be insulting, but there is a lot to learn about a new rig). Also, occasionally these valves are electrically operated. If so, the switch likely has a LED that goes on when the valve is fully-open. Worth paying attention to.

I think the problem is more likely to be a failed valve or macerator than a random clog in a hose.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Don't rely on the gages as they are very innacurate. Since you have the drain line opened put some water down the sink drain and see if it comes out.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #6

I would say the sluice valves are good because I can open/close the gray and black. I am assuming that is what you mean by sluice values...

As for the macerator, I can peer down the line and see the blades turning when it is on and hear a whirring sound. Sure that’s all I have to go by, but as I said “I am assuming it works well”

I’m not sure about the impeller... will need to take it in I guess.
WR_MONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I use my endoscope camera to see areas difficult to access, in my view this type of tool almost a must one for any RV. You would need to remove some plumbing to access but you will now if you have a clog.

https://amzn.to/32ZDqw0

If possible clog is from some organic matter like hair you could use drain chemicals to see if you can unplug it. I don’t think pressurizing from outside would cause more problem but macerator would need to be removed or disconnected.

Macerator is a positive displacement pump; liquid will not pass through it without rotation.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #8

Congrats on your first class B RV. I got my first RV this year, a 2007 RT 210 Popular. I had a similar situation...weak output stream when dumping. Macerator seemed to be working fine. My first thought was the impeller was worn. I removed the macerator and took it apart. Found material in the intake port, similar to baby wipes, wrapped up around the cutting blades and substantially blocking almost everything from reaching the impeller. The impeller was in good shape.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

As mentioned, put some water in the tank with valve closed, maybe a gallon or so. Then open the valve and listen to hear is it gurgles down into the piping. Then turn on the pump.

My bet is the tank gauge is not working, which is extremely common on any RV as the gauges are very poor and unreliable.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

You should be able to shoot water up the hose without worsen anything.

Open the gate valve to the tank and run water backwards into it. Be aware not to pressurize the hose much as they are only moderate pressure hoses.

Using a regular hose with no nozzle on it and quite low flow just wrap your hand around the discharge hose and garden hose to semi seal the connection and see if it will push the water back through to the tank (be sure to have someone watch the floor drain in case the tank is really full).

The macerator under those conditions, and not on, will turn backwards from the water flow and it will not hurt it. I have personally tested that a number of years ago after Campskunk mentioned he was able to backflush debris out of his pump.

You have a later Roadtrek 190, so there should be a cleanout plug in the drain plumbing that is after the valves and before the macerator. You will find in it a recess of the grey tank about in the middle of van on the passenger side. Look up under the van just inside of the fiberglass step and metal van big frame rail. It will be a big square headed plug you can remove. Flushing from there should also not damage anything.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clog, drain, hose, macerator, roadtrek