Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How about a 4 way frig?

All this talk on other threads about the best way to boondock, and what stuff makes it easier......

Propane frig is very good for boondocking without using or needing lots of battery and solar, but they can have cooling issues. Compressor frig is great for temperature control, but they require much more power than the propane version.

How about a propane frig that had a compressor setup, also. You could chose either depending on how you would use it at the time. Heck, it could even be setup to run on propane, but if the frig got too warm it could supplement it with the compressor.

I guess it really wouldn't be a 4 way, more like a 2 way-propane and 12v, as it could run off the converter when on shore power.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: How about a 4 way frig?

I wondered about that, but it either may require two cooling units or some engineering, since the multiple substances in an absorption fridge may not like dealing with a compressor. I do like this idea, because an absorption fridge is great at maintaining temperature with only a pound of propane used a day. On the road, the compressor part could run, perhaps not requiring being level.

I was wondering about an idea similar to this, except going it at by a different method. Why not just go with a compressor fridge, but add a propane fuel cell like Truma's VeGA, which does 100-200 watt/hours, depending on model? The advantage of this setup is that you have the simplicity of a compressor fridge, and the ability to be 30 degrees off level, not just 3. You also get the ability to run from LP gas, 12 volt electric, or 120VAC? If one adds an EFOY system with its proprietary methanol cubes, that is another power source.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I would certainly think you take one of these units and fit it to an existing 3 way frig pretty easily. It would cost you a little space inside and outside the frig, though.

http://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us...eration-systems/
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I stand corrected. There is no VeGA propane fuel cell available.

So, we are back to using a three way absorption fridge unless one spends the cash for an EFOY fuel cell and the methanol containers for it.

I guess we are back to square 1. What I have on my shopping list after I get a "B" is a Dometic refrigerator that looks like a cooler, but actually has a Danfoss compressor. It gets set to 0 degrees, and in that, go hard-sided freezer packs. That way, when on the road, the fridge can be in 12 volt mode (where at best it just keeps the compartments from warming up), the cooler keeps a set of freezer packs cold, while another set is in the fridge and freezer. This will keep things going for long trips, while shorter forays, the Dometic cooler will be used for drinks.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

how about a plutonium ion fridge-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Mlts22. My Dometic cf-18 portable compressor fridge/freezer will arrive today from Adventure rv. I had one in my Sportsmobile and it went with the van when I sold it. Hope this one works as well. We also use it in the Bounder as an extra freezer on long trips.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If you don't mind, let me know how the CF-18 works out? That is one of two models I'm looking at. On trips when I'm just by myself, it will make its home on the passenger seat, or the footwell, provided the side vents are not blocked.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Platinum Member

All types of refrigerators in an RV have their problems including compressor types. Houses maintain constant temperature. RVs don't. I've learned when it is zero out your refrigerator is essentially a freezer. If it is 90 then you struggle no matter what to keep it cool. The real solution is to constantly condition your space as you do your home. That is expensive or tethers you to shore power.

I came to believe 12v absorption to be essentially worthless. Other than that I am not sure what a good solution would be but one-way for simplicity might be best in my mind. That and a Yeti cooler.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Mlts22. I can tell you that the cf-18 is a splendid portable refrigerator. When I had my poptop van it ran 24/7 365+ with the solar 155 watts and 225 amp hours of battery. I used it primarily as a freezer for ice (in the top) and super cold drinks(in the bottom). Oddly enough the top is coldest part. I recommend the insulated cover $382 delivered to Cali from adventure rv .net in Tennessee. Probably a little cheaper to Texas.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I should also add that the cf-18 isn't on Dometic's website so it may be discontinued. Get em while they're still around. Another place to get a reasonably priced fridge is truckfridge.com.