Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How does one manually dump if macerator is not working

Since we are new to Roadtreks and the macerator pump. The hose was shot and we took it Camping world to have it replaced. We got it home and been getting familiar with everything, and discovered the pump was not working (so back to CW to fix it). How do you manually dump if the macerator pump is not working: We don't see any way to hook up a 3" hose as back up. We were told it was installed by a dealer. Also, there are 3 handles in the compartment. We know what 2 are for, what is the 3rd one for?

Y IZ IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: How does one manually dump if macerator is not working

You might not be able to. I don't think you can with the factory installed units or the kits from Roadtrek. The third handle is most probably a manual crank to turn the macerator impeller if the pump gets clogged or jammed. A blown fuse would be the first thing I'd check for if the pump isn't working.

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Gold Member

I have similar concerns. I bought the full macerator kit for my RT but it is sitting on my workbench while I contemplate the solution to a non-operating pump with me underneath endeavoring to dump the tank!

Thus far the existing system, with its shortcomings, is looking to be the best solution!
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thank you for your responses. We took it back to CW and they said the pump is shot and they'll have to order a new one. GRRRR. I asked about adding a back up 3" hose and they said there just isn't enough room underneath for it. I know not all RT have the macerator pump, so some how they did it. I'll give RT a call and find out I guess. They said the 3rd lever could be for the pump if something gets stuck. Are all conversion van's FORD'S...fix or repair daily?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The pump should last a long time.

I added a macerator to my '04 190P at the end of the standard sewer hose. I could remove the pump with just a flat screwdriver if it became necessary and dump the regular way. I was concerned about pump failure if I was a long way from home.

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39&p=5102

I don't think you really have that option now as much of the original system would have been removed. A second "backup" macerator pump installed might be the best way to go.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Gold Member

The old RTs like mine (97) have a 3" hose that retracts inside of a black tube underneath. It actually is a very clean system IMO. I have never minded dumping the tanks this way. I know they say there are advantages to macerators like being able to pump uphill and into toilets etc, but given the extra complexity and the trouble you are dealing with, I wouldn't want one. We have never had trouble finding and using dump stations.

I am sorry you are having so many quirks to deal with on the new rig. I am sure eventually you will get them all sorted out and really start to enjoy the experience! I had a number of little things I had to do with mine right after I bought it too, but I was expecting them and for the price I paid, it just wasn't an issue.

Maybe there is a solution to replace the macerator system with a simple dump hose out there on someone's blog or website. You just never know! B owners tend to be pretty creative souls!

-Mike
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://www.vantramps.com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions & info. It's kinda funny with the FORD situation because when we bought it from the previous owner, they had replaced a few things themselves and figured all the bugs were worked out. My thoughts were will this thing nickel and dime us. We prefer buying things new for reasons such as this, but the cost of new or newer RT's was not in our budget. We just sold our new 2009 TT, and we are still very excited about using our "Roada". We're hoping the advantages of a RT, even with all the little quirks, out weigh the hassle's of pulling a TT and more worry free.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Bronze Member

FYI...I contacted Roadtrek's service department about re-installing the 3" pipe for backup when the macerator pump is out of commission. This is what I got back:

That particular vehicle did not have the macerator pump waste disposal when it left the factory here, it will have had the gravity waste disposal system. The previous owner may have had a macerator kit installed by a Roadtrek dealer, or may have had something put together by another RV servicer or by himself to add the macerator. Replacing the macerator assembly with the gravity waste assembly that has the 3" hose is not a quick or easy operation and will involve purchase of a new, complete gravity waste assembly from the valves out plus the extended rods for the waste valves. I have inserted some drawings of the waste assembly below. This assembly can be ordered through a Roadtrek dealer.

At this time we are just having the pump replaced. If in the future we have this problem again, we may consider going back to the original 3" pipe and using a portable macerator pump. It only makes sense to have some kind of backup system when using a macerator pump.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The pump should last a long time.

I added a macerator to my '04 190P at the end of the standard sewer hose. I could remove the pump with just a flat screwdriver if it became necessary and dump the regular way. I was concerned about pump failure if I was a long way from home.

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39&p=5102

I don't think you really have that option now as much of the original system would have been removed. A second "backup" macerator pump installed might be the best way to go.
Maybe you bought markopolo's '04 190P ?
Seriously, if the pumps should last a long time, and you have to replace it, I'd be looking
into how to increase the longevity of the new one, by finding out what causes them to fail.
Is it dry running? Corrosive tank chems? Not flushing the tanks thoroughly after use?
There may be additonal mods available to prevent future pump failures, like auto-shut offs or
the remote control system markopolo added to his setup. It often happens that if you add
more complex technology to the system, the effect of a failure can be more complex to deal with.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Thanks for your response. I still have a problem believing that CW didn't do something to cause it to blow fuses. They did a meter reading thru the fuse connection and it was reading 55 amps running thru it. My son-in-law works with electrical wiring and his first thought was someone messed up the wiring to cause the fuses to blow like that. It was working before they replaced the macerator hose. They insist they did not disconnect anything. So how do you prove anything? CW claimed the pump is exposed to the elements because of where it is located, so it is not very protected. We are at their mercy, since we don't have the equipment to check it ourself.