Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Just watched the video and here's my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The ERA is on an extended length body.
Because of its size, it is more susceptible to wind buffeting.

Here's a "solution" some are using:

I didn't realize that this was a "super high roof".... until I saw the video....
You know... Mercedes Benz is NOT shipping these to the United States anymore because they don't meet safety standards.........

These "air tabs"....they talked about... kept saying... they greatly "help" ...I'm sure they do......

YES... Advance RV is known for being a super customized shop....they also do air suspension systems....

Finally...it's the extended Sprinter....XL model... more than 24 feet long........

My rig has the suspension upgrade with the Koni FSD shocks, anti-sway bar and trac bar ... also seems to have helped a lot....

This van in the video looks like a $250,000 plus rig..... nice...but... more than I want to spend....

As far as as the Winnebago ERA goes..... I'm sorry that the person with the 2015 model is so disappointed.... I looked at the ERA... almost purchased one.....

Couldn't find any used..... when I purchased the RS...I felt lucky to have found my RV at the price I paid....and even at the lower price...I had to put plenty of money into it to get it exactly how I wanted it......

All of this is pretty EXPENSIVE....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Is your ERA truly on the extended Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Do you still have the 2015 Winnebago ERA... sounds like you are VERY DISAPPOINTED....
As far as noise levels...it's not something that really bothers me in my RS Adventurous....
It's NOT as quiet as my Subaru Outback......

It's pretty quiet for a diesel... but, it's still a diesel....

Glad to hear that your suspension upgrades went well...

Just saw the previous video that BBQ posted...

Are you on the XL Sprinter????

I doubt you have the Super High Roof?? Correct?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 AM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that this was a "super high roof".... until I saw the video....
You know... Mercedes Benz is NOT shipping these to the United States anymore because they don't meet safety standards.........

That is not true.

MB stopped shipping them for a very short time (less than a few months).
It is available again.

ps. trucks have very little safety standards; this roof definitely does not come into any part of the considerations. There are much higher roof vehicles around.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #24
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just saw the previous video that BBQ posted...

Are you on the XL Sprinter????

I doubt you have the Super High Roof?? Correct?

All ERA are on the extended XL Sprinter body.

No they are not on super high roof.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Default ERA...... only super high roof???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
All ERA are on the extended XL Sprinter body.

No they are not on super high roof.
OH... didn't know that.....

I saw a video of a person from Germany ....she was talking about the 2019 models... maybe this has changed....she said that the super high roof would not pass federal government standards......
Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
OH... didn't know that.....

I saw a video of a person from Germany ....she was talking about the 2019 models... maybe this has changed....she said that the super high roof would not pass federal government standards......
Your probably right since there is Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 216 on Roof Crush Resistance that would apply to lighter Sprinters. Daimler/Mercedes has been on and off about the Super high roof in USA/NA market over the years. Have not seen confirmation that they will offer it on new Sprinter.

==================
FMVSS 216

Roof Crush Resistance

This Standard applies to MPVs, trucks and buses with a GVWR of 6,000 lbs. (2,722 kg) or less. It does not apply to (1) School buses, (2) Vehicles that conform to the roll-over test requirements of Section 5.3 of FMVSS 208 by means that require no action by vehicle occupants, (3) Convertibles or (4) Vehicles certified to comply with FMVSS 216a. It establishes strength requirements for the passenger compartment roof.

Applicability:

Trucks & MPVs 10,000 GVWR or Less: Yes

FMVSS 216
====================
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #27
Gold Member

Default Sprinter max safe speed

When considering the maximum safe driving speed for the tall narrow sprinter, considered not just gusty winds and tractor trailer bow waves but emergency maneuvers.
An example might be a tire blow out on a twisting road or sudden turn and brake application to hopefully avoid a crash.
The tall narrow sprinter profile reminds me of early Ford Explorers which were taller and narrower than their competitors at that time. Those Explorers were equipped with Firestone tires that had a reputation for blow outs, vehicle roll-overs and occupant harm.
Early Chevy Roadtreks were subject to roll over testing during emergency lane change.
When I ask Roadtrek dealers about similar testing with the Sprinter I get a blank look.
Googling NHTSA and Sprinter roll overs I get nothing.
Mercedes active control management may help prevent problems.
Bottom line is I worry more about emergency situations while driving than steady state high speed handling.
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones7788 View Post
When considering the maximum safe driving speed for the tall narrow sprinter, considered not just gusty winds and tractor trailer bow waves but emergency maneuvers.

An example might be a tire blow out on a twisting road or sudden turn and brake application to hopefully avoid a crash.

The tall narrow sprinter profile reminds me of early Ford Explorers which were taller and narrower than their competitors at that time. Those Explorers were equipped with Firestone tires that had a reputation for blow outs, vehicle roll-overs and occupant harm.

Early Chevy Roadtreks were subject to roll over testing during emergency lane change.

When I ask Roadtrek dealers about similar testing with the Sprinter I get a blank look.

Bottom line is I worry more about emergency situations while driving than steady state high speed handling.

The early Chevy Roadtreks had a tall roof added by Roadtrek. They were likely required to test that configuration. T Sprinter van comes with high roof from factory. You won't find much on crash and safety testing done by Daimler/Mercedes as all their testing is proprietary. They do test to be sure they meet the FMVSS's, but only release limited info to the general public.

Sprinters have not been included in NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP), probably due to low sales numbers. NHTSA tests Ford and GM pickup trucks nearly every year as they are the top selling vehicles in USA.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Default Journey is the destination--- don't go too fast or make risky manuevers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones7788 View Post

Change your tires every 5 or 6 years...

Don't speed over 70 to 75 MPH...

Have a tire pressure monitoring system so you can keep an eye on the air pressure

Finally, the Sprinter is a long distance cruiser.... "an executive jet" on wheels especially the well appointed ones..

Don't be in a rush.. or make crazy risky maneuvers like fast lane changes...
. it's not a sports car...
Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #30

Hey B-Gang,

I own a new cargo Sprinter that I'm doing a build on.

Comment on wind effect from passing semi's especially. I glued a group of wishbone like plastic vortex generators along the trailing edge of the van and the effect is very pleasant. The suction from a truck passing is negligible. I think too, increased stability at speed. It hard to really tell the total effect but for $80 and hoping the advertising is real, I'm happy. I've seen FedEx trying them on a Sprinter and a couple of semi's too.

Airtab may be the inventor but I got mine on ebay.
Vincent van Goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Advanced RV tried AirTabs. Here is link to their video.

https://youtu.be/3kB8P5Md8k4