Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Default How long will a class B usually last

I am thinking about buying a Class B RV. But it seems the only ones I can afford are around the 1998 year model. Usually they have around 100,000 miles or less. I saw a 1999 with 35,000 miles. They are usually Dodge, Chevy or Ford gasoline engines. We would be traveling around 6000 miles a year in it. We just completed a 4200 mile trip in our regular van that we made beds in for sleeping. We were wanting something a little more convenient. Would a van around 1998 have much life left in it or would it just be one issue after another at that age? Thank you for any advice you can give me.
tedo1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In my opinion the answer is: it depends.

You need to evaluate your own ability to fix things, both on the chassis and the coach "stuff". If you are handy on mechanical things you are far ahead in the game.

How many previous owners? How was the B stored (covered, indoors or outside)? What part of the country did it call home (salt in some areas, extreme heat or cold, etc.)? Was it used a lot or just stored a lot? Generators, for only one example, can clog up without use once a month or so. And they can cost a bundle to fix.

If you are new to RVing, I would suggest you find someone with experience in motorhome ownership to help you evaluate any prospective purchase. Age alone is not as great a factor in my view as other things. You mentioned that what you are seeing is Ford, Chevy and Dodge gassers and that is exactly correct. Each have their own idiosyncrasies in some periods or years. I have had all three and find them all acceptable. The Dodge 5.1L (318 cid) engine was used a lot in those years, for instance. It is great little motor. Chevy 6.L have been around a long time and, like the Dodge, are really stout and proven.

All the rv "stuff" can be replaced but it can sure get expensive. In the long run, you may be out fewer dollars in total on a 12-15 year old rig.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

It is a lottery.

Some with good luck, others not so much.

A friend recently bought an old RV, with a good body and low mileage.

He replaced the mattress and cover.
Everything looked good.

Then things start to go.

The alternator, the starter, the water pump, the battery (expected), the furnace (unexpected), the front end suspension (dried rubbers)...

Repair and replacement is an ongoing thing.
It goes with the territory.

ps. Check the propane tank condition. Some stations would not fill a rusty tank.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You are probably looking at a dodge ram 3500. Many claim the engines, if well taken care of will reach 300,000 miles. This is a good article.

Tough Choices in the Life of an old RV - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Any vehicle will last as long as you want it to with maintenance and repairs. RV's are no exception. Yes there might be better items from one brand of chassis or upfitter, but it can all be fixed.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:03 AM   #6

We have a 94 pleaureway still going strong.

The way i figure it...i could burn mine to the ground and rebuild it for a fraction of a new one.

Im guessing a New motor and trans someday and other normal wareable parts over the life of my ownership ill drop 20 grand at most.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ander View Post
We have a 94 pleaureway still going strong.

The way i figure it...i could burn mine to the ground and rebuild it for a fraction of a new one.

Im guessing a New motor and trans someday and other normal wareable parts over the life of my ownership ill drop 20 grand at most.
I feel exactly the same. I've got a 92 Pleasure Way, going strong. Having the transmission rebuilt this winter because I can. Daily driver in the summer months.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm a newbie so not much experience except in my opinion low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing. I think I would have preferred a little more mileage and consistent use than a low mileage RV which sat unused and neglected for 5 years.

I enjoy my RV and so far I've been able to fix a lot of the stuff but I'm dealing with, such as a roof that leaked in numerous places, rust and I keep finding things that should have been replaced or maintained that weren't. My neighbors keep asking me if I want to sell it and I say no, so it can't be that bad.

My advice is to look at how well it was maintained and avoid vehicles with roof leaks and rust. Just remember plastic and rubber don't age well and you may end up searching online for these parts at some point.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote