Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I would strongly recommend you avoid the Etreks and Ecotrek coaches on the used market. Many were never got to work properly, or have obsolete systems, or are due for battery replacements which could be pricey. If you are a tinkerer, and can do things yourself and understand electronics, then maybe it could be a good option for you - otherwise avoid them.
Will Winnebago be offering a separate and longer warranty on your Lithium Ion batteries in the Travato GL (ala the automotive industry)?
__________________

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd be more concerned about the chassis than the house as far as warranty goes.

I would strongly recommend you avoid the Etreks and Ecotrek coaches on the used market. Many were never got to work properly, or have obsolete systems, or are due for battery replacements which could be pricey.
I have a 2010 Toyota Prius with 204k miles on it that I bought new. The lithium-ion battery begins to weaken substantially about 130k miles. Toyota is more than happy to replace it for about $6k +/-. However, there are places who can recondition them, and they appear not to have a limit to the number of times they can be reconditioned. I took my Prius to a shop in Madison, WI in 2015 to have mine done, and it was brought back to about 97% of new efficiency.

There's a taxi company in Madison that uses Priuses, and at that time the 2010 Prius taxis all had over 400k miles on them and were on their third battery reconditioning and had also been returned to over 95% each time.

The Prius reconditioning takes 72 hours and cost about $1700. That experience makes me wonder if something similar can't be done with the Li Ion batteries in the Roadtreks at a substantially reduced cost over replacements?
__________________

__________________
2004 Airstream Interstate T1N
FOR SALE: 1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
.

This is all you need to make your old RV smells like new

I know that several dealers use those fresher upper sheets designed for clothes dryers. They put several of them in inconspicuous places in the rig and by golly they permeate the whole place with a very clean, fresh odor that mostly covers age, a little dog smell, etc. Of course, that assumes a good deep cleaning of the unit prior to putting them in there.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #24
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I know that several dealers use those fresher upper sheets designed for clothes dryers. They put several of them in inconspicuous places in the rig and by golly they permeate the whole place with a very clean, fresh odor that mostly covers age, a little dog smell, etc. Of course, that assumes a good deep cleaning of the unit prior to putting them in there.
I've found that regularly cleaning the carpet and upholstery using a Bissel "Green Machine" cleaner does the most to keep my van "fresh." I use my van a lot. I've put over 30k miles on it in the three years I've had it, and I travel with two dogs. I try to clean the carpet and upholstery quarterly.
__________________
2004 Airstream Interstate T1N
FOR SALE: 1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #25
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 918
Default Your 2010 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I have a 2010 Toyota Prius with 204k miles on it that I bought new. The lithium-ion battery begins to weaken substantially about 130k miles. Toyota is more than happy to replace it for about $6k +/-. However, there are places who can recondition them, and they appear not to have a limit to the number of times they can be reconditioned. I took my Prius to a shop in Madison, WI in 2015 to have mine done, and it was brought back to about 97% of new efficiency.

There's a taxi company in Madison that uses Priuses, and at that time the 2010 Prius taxis all had over 400k miles on them and were on their third battery reconditioning and had also been returned to over 95% each time.

The Prius reconditioning takes 72 hours and cost about $1700. That experience makes me wonder if something similar can't be done with the Li Ion batteries in the Roadtreks at a substantially reduced cost over replacements?

We have a 2009 with 77,000 miles on it.... thanks for the heads up on the battery...

So far so good...no problems.....in California the battery is warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles... we'll run out of time before mileage....

It's been a very reliable car...... except for the tires and shocks....had replace tires every 30 to 35,000 miles and shocks at 63,000...

Otherwise, 43 to 50 MPG depending on air conditioning use...our city car....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 918
Default WOW... that's a lot of money in deprecation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I have less than half the cost of a high-end b-van in my Coachmen, my Super-C AND my '16 Jeep towed. My Super-C alone lost $110,000 in value from new in nine years' depreciation. My B-van lost about $70k in value in nineteen years. I DID buy the Jeep new in '16 but I bought a lifetime Chrysler warranty for it. I plan to have it a long time, and it hasn't depreciated much, and will only depreciate about 40% in ten years.

I'm not interested in the latest and greatest, I'm interested in traveling comfortably and preserving what little wealth I have to spend on travel rather than 'stuff.'

$180k in depreciation I didn't have to eat buys a LOT of repairs and a LOT of travel.
I understand... that's WHY... I kept my 1995 Honda Accord for 19 years.....no car payments at $400 per month saved a lot of cash......

Seems like your Super C... really depreciated a lot... much faster than the Class B....

I love the extra space and comfortable front seat in your Super C.... but the fuel consumption must be a "show stopper"....Do you have a lot of miles on this???????

Still, that's another reason why I decided to buy my RS Adventurous used....a lot of people think it's newer than it is.... Here's a picture of the rig for you....

The RS Adventurous is 23 feet almost 10 feet tall and 80 inches wide.... gets 18 to 20 MPG.... small turbo diesel engine...V6.... remarkably quiet and smooth....got it in May 2017 with only 26,000 miles at the time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113702.jpg (221.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113723.jpg (228.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_104042.jpg (447.6 KB, 7 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #27
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Seems like your Super C... really depreciated a lot... much faster than the Class B....

I love the extra space and comfortable front seat in your Super C.... but the fuel consumption must be a "show stopper"....Do you have a lot of miles on this???????

Still, that's another reason why I decided to buy my RS Adventurous used....a lot of people think it's newer than it is.... Here's a picture of the rig for you....
That's a lovely coach! I can see why you like it.

Yes, the Kodiak Super-Cs have depreciated, primarily I think because Chevy dropped the Kodiak in '09. There are some KILLER deals to be had on Kodiak-based Super-Cs, which may just be THE best Super-C chassis out there for motorhomes (once the handling issues are tamed.) And no, the fuel isn't a show-stopper. The Born Free gets driven about 3k to 6k miles a year on average... I get 8 to 10 mpg with it, depending... but the expense isn't enough, say even over 15 mpg, to be concerned about. I bought the Born Free with 32k miles on it and this is the fourth season with it. I've got about 54k on it now... it's a half-million mile chassis, so it'll last me as long as I choose to own it.
__________________
2004 Airstream Interstate T1N
FOR SALE: 1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #28
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 229
Default

2006 Born Free. That was back when the company was at its zenith. Prior to the 2008 debacle from which many if not most small rv companies failed or shriveled and back when Born Free was still family owned. Like you said, it will last a long, long, long time.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #29
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I have a 2010 Toyota Prius with 204k miles on it that I bought new. The lithium-ion battery begins to weaken substantially about 130k miles. Toyota is more than happy to replace it for about $6k +/-. However, there are places who can recondition them, and they appear not to have a limit to the number of times they can be reconditioned. I took my Prius to a shop in Madison, WI in 2015 to have mine done, and it was brought back to about 97% of new efficiency.
Toyota delivered the 2010 Prius with a lithium battery?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #30
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Will Winnebago be offering a separate and longer warranty on your Lithium Ion batteries in the Travato GL (ala the automotive industry)?
For the Volta System, WGO provides an 8 year warranty for the battery only. The WGO warranty for the remainder of the system, i.e. alternator, regulator, converter/inverter and DC-DC converter is for one year. Whether Volta will provide any warranty themselves beyond the one year period seems to still be up in the air.

The Xantrex lithium package in the Galleria has a three year warranty covering all the system components.
__________________

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.