Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Default 2009 battery is older technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Toyota delivered the 2010 Prius with a lithium battery?

Our 2009 Prius has the nickel metal hydride battery.... See below

Plus, there's a problem with the inverter on the 2010 to 2014 Prius....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN12U0ZH

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Will Winnebago be offering a separate and longer warranty on your Lithium Ion batteries in the Travato GL (ala the automotive industry)?
Volta warranties its system for 3 years, battery for 8 yrs.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Toyota delivered the 2010 Prius with a lithium battery?
Duh. My bad... of course it's NiMH. Disregard everything past 'hello.' Sorry.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Always, buy used. Get an independent expert PDI! A new RV depreciates 25% the minute you drive it thru the dealers gate, regardless of what kind of discount you managed. I have owned 6 RV's, a 29' class A on a Chevy P 30 chassis, 2 Foretravel U 240's, a 36' Foretravel U 320, a 38' Foretravel U320 and now a 24 ' Mercedes Sprinter carrying a Winnebago Era. All bought used, OK, the first was a " dealer demonstrator" but it had a couple thousand miles and was a year old model. Anyway, I have spent some money updating and improving them but overall, I have saved mega bucks in mark-up, and depreciation.
The important thing is that pre delivery inspection.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston@charter.net View Post
Always, buy used.
This is good advice, but only in the absence of dramatic model changes from year to year. MY2018 Sprinters are essentially unchanged from MY2017, so I wouldn't think twice about buying used. However, MY2019 is a major refresh of the platform. It will almost certainly be safer, more convenient, more comfortable and generally more up to date. That makes it a much more difficult decision.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #36

Used... with warranty.

I purchased a 1 yr old RoadTrek with 15,000 miles. It was in excellent one owner condition, and it saved me $30,000 off the price of a new one. Since this was my first Class B RV, I especially liked the 6-yr RoadTrek warranty. Thank God I had the warranty! The end of my 2nd season, the inverter went out. No problem, replaced for free. Stored it for the winter in heater, indoor, storage. Just 5 hours into my next adventure, the inverter started smoking and was gone. Again, another warranty replacement. This one is running great. These inverters are major league expensive, so the warranty saved me thousands.
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidemn View Post
Used... with warranty.

I purchased a 1 yr old RoadTrek with 15,000 miles. It was in excellent one owner condition, and it saved me $30,000 off the price of a new one. Since this was my first Class B RV, I especially liked the 6-yr RoadTrek warranty. Thank God I had the warranty! The end of my 2nd season, the inverter went out. No problem, replaced for free. Stored it for the winter in heater, indoor, storage. Just 5 hours into my next adventure, the inverter started smoking and was gone. Again, another warranty replacement. This one is running great. These inverters are major league expensive, so the warranty saved me thousands.
What's the year, model and battery profile of the Roadtrek? It will be interesting to see if this problem is entirely resolved. A single inverter failure could be strictly an inverter issue but with two failures in a row, consecutive failures could be a symptom of some other electrical problem. Did these failures occur during the presence of heavy loads like the AC? Did you ever get an explanation of what was going on?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #38

Quote:
What's the year, model and battery profile of the Roadtrek? It will be interesting to see if this problem is entirely resolved. A single inverter failure could be strictly an inverter issue but with two failures in a row, consecutive failures could be a symptom of some other electrical problem. Did these failures occur during the presence of heavy loads like the AC? Did you ever get an explanation of what was going on?
We have a 2015 CS Adventurous, with a 2,500w inverter. It has a 200w solar panel with 2 additional AGM batteries, for a total of 4 batteries. Just to make sure, we replaced all 4 of these batteries in conjunction with this 2nd inverter (3rd if your count the original). If there were anything funky with the batteries, that problem would be solved. As far as failures, it did not have a pattern. The first unit seemed to go in and out of service. I would shut everything down, reboot, and it would work. Finally just died. The 2nd unit behaved differently. There was a seriously loud whining coming from the unit, then came a small amount of smoke and the smell of burn rubber. I don't know if those 4 batteries could have affected the inverter, but so far so good. I've run the rear air, fridge, Alde, quite a lot and it's working as expected.

Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote