Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Default How well does the Dodge Class B last?

I'm not sure how to phrase the question because I don't wish to start a Chevy v Dodge or Ford skirmish. I am considering a used class B purchase. Probably a Roadtrek but maybe a Pleasure-way or Leisure Travel. I was thinking between '98 and '03. Older than that would need to much maintenance, newer than '03 seems to jump in price. The 2000 or '01 Roadtrek 200 is on a Chevy chassis ,the 190 is on a Dodge chassis. So my question is do the Dodges' last well, and what is your take on the difference other than the size of the vehicle. I'm leaning towards the 200 Popular model.
I live in Hawaii and plan to store the vehicle for part of the year ( In Las Vegas that costs about $100 a month for example.) and travel maybe six or 8 months a year. The storage location will be determined by where I leave for home during my travels. So the vehicle will get some mileage put on it at least at first.
Comments anyone?
jonthebru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: How well does the Dodge Class B last?

My comment would be to test drive both of them first. Load them up as you would have them for travelling and then drive different types of road conditions, freeways and twisty side roads. In reality they are all somewhat similar inside, it's what outside that could make it a pain or not. Do a little research on the Dodge platform in the years that you speak of... it might sway your opinion. They ALL need maintenance from time to time regardless of who made the chassis or house, look for maint. records from previous owners. Good-luck.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I still see lots of older Dodge based Roadtreks out there when we travel. We recently met a couple from CT who had just purchased a mid to late '90s 190 on the Dodge chassis, and except for bringing it up to a current level of chassis maintenance, it didn't need anything major. I think he had to do brakes, belts and hoses, some suspension stuff and tires. It looked like the coach was in great shape. I believe they picked it up for $11K and put around $4k into it. It looked good for $15K.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Silver Member

Read the FAQ's at RV.Net
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...d/19953525.cfm

The reason for the price jump, at least for RT's is, in late 2001 they started building using the Chevy 3500, (very limited no.) a much better handling chassis. 2003 was the last year for the Dodge, with the majority that year being built on the Chevy. The Chevy's cost more when new, are more desirable, and have held their price better than the Dodges.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

I love these forums. Thanks for the quick responses. I am and have been doing research for quite a few years actually. I was leaning toward a small Class C but due to gas prices and ability to maneuver into smaller camping spots a Class B would be a better choice for me. Yes, any used rig would need I figure around 1500.00 or more in work to start off. The under chassis rust from units driven in the North is something that is important, as in the things that aren't evident. The 3500 chassis is really nice it has better handling due to the dually setup and has a higher load capacity for "stuff"! I am going to search for maintenance records of Dodge owners. This fall I am going to rent a small class C in Vegas for 10 days or so and do the National Park tour of Southern Utah as a run to try the lifestyle out. I will look at some available used Class B units in that area at the same time.
Thanks again for the responses.
jonthebru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We bought our 99 American Cruiser (on a 98 Dodge B3500 chassis) in June 2012 for $8900. The mileage recently exceeded 100,000 miles. While we have spent maybe $1200 on various upgrades to the coach, we have spent virtually nothing on the Dodge chassis. It runs well and rides great. I try to stay on top of routine maintenance. I have the oil changed annually when I take it in for the state inspection, and last year, I had them do a tranny flush as well. I plan to replace the rear tires this year as I'm starting to see some weather cracking, as well as the belts under the hood. Again - nothing related to the basic dodge van.
Randy
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
Silver Member

The 3500 Chevy van chassis is not on dual rears. The main reason it handles better than the Dodge is because of it's longer wheel base.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
Gold Member

We have a 1995 PleasureWay on a Dodge 3500 chassis, with a 318 CID engine. It recently passed 200,000 Kms / 120,000 miles and I still consider it sufficiently reliable to take on 8000 Km / 5000 mile road trips

Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I love my 97 Dodge van but I believe the Chevy's are more comfortable to drive. I am short and end up fairly cramped up after driving a few hours. Maybe my seat is tge problem but there is not much foot room and legroom without out sitting behind the drivers door window. Maybe a Chevy owner can chime in. I would not be afraid to buy older Southwestern states Dodge. We don't have snow so no salt unless at the beach cities then rust may be a problem. Dodges are fairly cheap to fix. Lots of parts around.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Bronze Member

My '79 is still going strong. Mind youu it has only traveled 200,000 km in it's lifetime.
olddodgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I love my 97 Dodge van but I believe the Chevy's are more comfortable to drive. I am short and end up fairly cramped up after driving a few hours. Maybe my seat is tge problem but there is not much foot room and legroom without out sitting behind the drivers door window. Maybe a Chevy owner can chime in. I would not be afraid to buy older Southwestern states Dodge. We don't have snow so no salt unless at the beach cities then rust may be a problem. Dodges are fairly cheap to fix. Lots of parts around.
Our 2002 Chevrolet 3500 extended van rides well and is more comfortable than about half of the other vehicles I've owned over the years. I'd put it in the top half of the list. Of course this is just a subjective opinion based on personal experience and around 200,000 kilometers of travel in it. At last odometer check.