Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default hurricane IKE

Thought I'd report from 40 miles north of Houston, ref Ike..

We lost power on the 12th and just got it back around midnight 17/18th) - lost water supply (intermittently) due to no diesel to run emergency well pumps.

I started my Van's Onan 2800w generator when we lost power and used it to run 1 fridge, an upright freezer and 1 lamp (didn't want to risk overload). Also ran the Van's TV but really didn't watch much - we knew what was (and wasn't) going on..

That little generator performed superbly for about 5 day straight, 24 hours a day. I was able to get a 6.5kw stand-alone generator (another Onan) on loan from a relative so hooked that up and shut down the Van. Gave me an opportunity to do an oil change for the 2.8kw.

Had to get fuel in Bryan/College Station, about an hour from here. Still no fresh produce, meat, eggs and just got milk today (also fuel locally - $353.9 at WalMart - good on ya WalMart).

We finally got power back last night around midnight - and water (the "deal breaker" that would have driven us out) - and internet this afternoon.

Ike was one bad dude - lots of damage - lots of folks killed - we were lucky.

Life is now good again - thank you Onan.....
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Glad to hear you made it through Ike. I watched a fair bit of the news coverage - that was a very large hurricane.

An RV with a generator is great to have in an emergency like that.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

It's good to hear you're OK!

I'm still waiting to hear from a friend in Galveston.... I know she evacuated with her B to some place just north of Houston. I'm hoping her home is not a total loss, it's about 2 blocks off Seawall Blvd.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You might e-mail the Houston North KOA and ask if she's there..

http://www.koa.com/where/tx/43239/
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Ike and Galveston

I camped at Galveston State Park in February. Nice spot in the second section. About 100 yards to the berm and maybe 600 feet to the water at high tide.

Satellite photos show my camping pad is now on the water -- right on the water. I wonder how long before the park will be able to open again.

Sea Rim, another great Texas state park, near Port Arthur, also has been "Hurricaned" hard.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default IKE

Glad you all survived that huge storm. Your lives were spared and material things will be regained.
It is nice to hear good about the Onan - seems like folks love to bad mouth a piece of equipment that has proven so versatile - thanks for sharing your opinions. Ron J.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo
Default Re: Ike and Galveston

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
I camped at Galveston State Park in February. Nice spot in the second section. About 100 yards to the berm and maybe 600 feet to the water at high tide.

Satellite photos show my camping pad is now on the water -- right on the water. I wonder how long before the park will be able to open again.

Sea Rim, another great Texas state park, near Port Arthur, also has been "Hurricaned" hard.
We've camped there a few times too. It's a great park. We were hoping to head back down there in January this year to spend a few weeks warming up. I"m guessing that the park probably won't be open yet.