Old 02-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Cool Hymer Activ post test drive buying thoughts

So went out yesterday and finally test drove an activ (1.0) this was my first ever class B test drive so i really dont have anything to compare it to. Also go to spend alot more time in it below are my observations.

From the test drive.

Pros:
seems like has a decent turning radius.
Mirrors are big enough to see most everything.
power seems ok
seats seem ok comfortabe

Cons:
engine noise seems abit loud
NO TILT STEERING WHEEL!!! (this is very annoying)
rearview mirror useless as you can only see out the passenger rear window
I was not able to test rear camera as it was a non OEM deck and face plate was not available for some reason.

Other items
Build quailty does seem to be lacking at least in the one they had on display. this may have been a show or demo unit but it becomes pretty easy to tell what's gonna give after time.

-Leather seats wrap becoming loose and not tucked in
- some drawers not properly aligned
- cheap wood? cabinetry
- spare tire need to be folded down in order to open the rear doors. so need to have at least 2 -3 more feet behind you to do this. all those parked at the beach pics! lol not sure if i wanna lift that thing up and down too much . i suppose you can remove it (good idea?)

I was not able to test any of the electrical , as these were winterized and i think the batteries were dead in all of them im sure.(sitting on the lot outside) This brings me to my next thought.
If the build quality of the interior is somewhat so so , does this translate to the electrical / battery system?
My originall thought was to look at all the bells an whistles , but now im thinking to remove all this eco trek lithum stuff as i see a possible nightmare....i did say POSSIBLE When i asked to turn the lights on one of the other models the inverted would not turn on and the sales person tried to jump it but no luck, i understand that this is part of maintenece but this also makes me question weather i should be buying something that has lithum and has been sitting on the lot for months .....maybe straight from the factory is a safer option.
As far as i can tell i would almost remove all the options. 1. Lithum 2. second matress (build my own) 3. no power sofa (prefer the bed) 4. volt start (not sure when i would use it) 5. power door steps (these i know would be demolished in out CDN winters)

in summary,
i really think that the price of the fully loaded model of the activ is over prriced for eh, so , so quality and being such a new product with all the lithum stuff...just feel like more of a beta tester

Im going to compare my fully equipped price with no options besides the solar...doesn any one know what kind of agm batteries they install ? (AMP hours etc...)

Thanks

deekdeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In Ontario, the batteries almost certainly were in cold shutdown for at least charging. At -4*F they can be even by damaged by sitting in the cold.

It sounds like you need to do a factory order to get what you what, and probably go with AGM batteries instead. You will save a lot money, and likely troubles.

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Were you primarily interested in the Aktiv because of the jump seat?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I too looked at a Aktive 1.0 but didn't drive. The wife liked it and the two person jump seat is one of the things we like. The dealer had the front seats swiveled so it was a nice looking dinning area, but after thinking about it the two person seat does not look comfortable for traveling..
the aisle seemed narrow.
The cassette toilet.......I have one now and it's great for traveling. It's really only good for Pee and emergency pooping. It is not fun to empty with anything other than liquids.
After thinking and looking at what's available I put a deposit down at a conversion shop (over 1 year out) to build what I want.
Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I too looked at a Aktive 1.0 but didn't drive. The wife liked it and the two person jump seat is one of the things we like. The dealer had the front seats swiveled so it was a nice looking dinning area, but after thinking about it the two person seat does not look comfortable for traveling..
the aisle seemed narrow.
The cassette toilet.......I have one now and it's great for traveling. It's really only good for Pee and emergency pooping. It is not fun to empty with anything other than liquids.
After thinking and looking at what's available I put a deposit down at a conversion shop (over 1 year out) to build what I want.
Jon
Same here, the wife likes the layout , I'm eh about it not terrible but not great.
The "jump seats" are eh, but i folded down the dinette table and there is much more leg room that way and i think with a small ottoman to put your legs up it might be ok for 2 smaller people.

I wish we had some of the conversion shops up her in CDN , i think since this is our first we will make a somewhat of a mistake not matter what in picking but so far im leaning with no ecotrek stuff.

So far everything is eh, its ok feeling but not great.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 AM   #6
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekdeek View Post
Same here, the wife likes the layout , I'm eh about it not terrible but not great.
The "jump seats" are eh, but i folded down the dinette table and there is much more leg room that way and i think with a small ottoman to put your legs up it might be ok for 2 smaller people.

I wish we had some of the conversion shops up her in CDN , i think since this is our first we will make a somewhat of a mistake not matter what in picking but so far im leaning with no ecotrek stuff.

So far everything is eh, its ok feeling but not great.
The two conversion shops I've talked to quit installing forward passenger seats in the Promaster because RAM is not going to make a passenger version. The shops will make a frame for a raised floor but will not install the seats. Nothing is perfect.

Have you tried Get-Away RV centre LTD in Abbotsford, BC, Canada. I think they convert Sprintes.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
Platinum Member

A couple of Canadian companies you might consider are Okanagan (Ford Transit) and Safari Condo (GMC, Promaster, Sprinter).
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

To be honest, are you sure you were driving an Activ 1.0?? They all come with the upgraded chassis with radio/gps/back-up. (Sony or OEM) Nor do they come with a power sofa - it is not even an option on their order form. (it is on the Activ 2.0) I wonder if this is some odd show model which explains its condition. Did you check out the cassette toilet? Drop down sink?

At least the steering wheel telescopes now... the first were not adjustable at all. LOL

No one who drives an RV uses the rearview mirror. You can not and will not be able to use them for anything useful. That is why you have the big mirrors and back-up camera. I never even open the back curtains in my Roadtrek 170 when I'm driving.

The best place to find Activ owners is their Facebook page - not factory related, so they discuss the issues - bad and good. A special order will get rid of the things that make you nervous - like the lithiums, power steps, continental tire - which are all options. Standard batteries as listed on their website is 2 6v AGMs.
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
Platinum Member

My 2014 PM built Sept 2013 has telescoping steering wheel. Never heard of one that didn't.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 AM   #10

no tilt , telescoping yes. The position of the steering wheel and the drivers seat is funky IMO