Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Aktiv 1.0 vs 2.0

Hi all,
New to the forum and thinking of selling my converted diesel 4x4 Sprinter van and getting a turn key gasoline class B and the Hymer Aktiv layout impresses me.
I have seen a Aktiv 2.0 layout with and without the rear sofa layout, so I think the difference in the 1.0 and the 2.0 models is the length. Has anyone seen or know of a Aktiv 1.0 (19'8") model with the rear sofa?
thanks,
Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

They don't offer the sofa on the 1.0.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
New to the forum and thinking of selling my converted diesel 4x4 Sprinter van and getting a turn key gasoline class B...
As an aside, I'd also be interested in your experiences with the Sprinter 4x4, and why you're considering replacing it with a turn-key gas class B RV, which presumably would be limited to two-wheel drive.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I'm thinking to get rid of my diesel because I have had a lot of problems with mine. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for the fourth time due to a loss of power problem. This time the engine light is on so hopefully the computer will tell them what to replace. I think it's the EGR valve. Even it the problem gets fixed I've lost my trust in modern diesel engines. They are too complicated and my luck is worst than Murphy's.

As far as the 4x4 goes. I wanted a 4x2 with the 4 cylinder engine but the wife wanted 4x4 so we got a 4x4 and it only comes with the 6 cylinder engine. We don't go off road that often so skiing was a reason for 4x4. We don't seem to have enough time for that, but I'm betting the front wd Promaster would do ok in the snow. Last thing is my van just sits too high. Sure it looks cool but I get tired to hauling a step so the in-laws can get in the van.

Why a turn-key RV? We occasionally need to carry 6 people but we normally take trips with just the three of us. With that in mind we customized our van
so we have one passenger row of seats and a dinette/bed or two rows of passenger seats with no dinette/bed. then we have a sink/microwave/small bathroom. I'm 55 years old now and am getting tired of removing/installing rows of passenger seats. When I discovered the Aktiv with the rear sofa I see it can carry 7 people without adding seat rows! Plus it even has a shower with HOT water. Something I don't have.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Yes... to get the sofa you need to get the 2.0 with the extra length. Actually the 2.0's I've seen online have the same platform bed as the 1.0... for those that like the extra storage but don't want to sleep crossways. You may need to special order... and wait a few months.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I'd really like to see the 1.0 vs 2.0 with the rear bed. You get an extra foot and some change, but from what I can see from some videos online, they didn't change the storage at all up front. Did they just make the bed a king width with more under bed storage?
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

I would love to see a 1.0 with a sofa in the back.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I'd really like to see the 1.0 vs 2.0 with the rear bed. You get an extra foot and some change, but from what I can see from some videos online, they didn't change the storage at all up front. Did they just make the bed a king width with more under bed storage?
Try a search online for the 2.0. A while back there were a couple dealers that had them on their lots with photos. I didn't really look since a 2.0 is too long for my driveway.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

the Wife and I visited a Hymer dealer and checked out a aktiv 1.0 with the bed. They had the front seats swiveled so it was like a little living room with 4 seats and a table. We really liked it and the wife did away with my wanting a sofa in the back....(funny how they, wives, can do that).
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Absolutely the only difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 is the added foot of length in the bed - allowing people to sleep front to back instead of cross-ways. It also stretches out the rear cabinetry.

Only the 2.0 offers the option of the rear sofa... losing all the lower cabinets. I agree with your wife... I expect she sees the loss of storage just to take the occasional extra passengers as not a good trade. Now you need only debate bed size.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm betting the front wd Promaster would do ok in the snow. .
I would first go do a test drive in a Promaster RV. Those seats are terrible for me. I couldn't drive that van for more than an hour. That narrowed the RV field for me a lot after my test drive.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
jon
Platinum Member

I've driven a Promaster 159" WB and it was comfortable to me. I've heard that the Promaster seats are not comfortable for tall guys, but the height gene skipped me.
More importantly the wife sat in the drivers seat and said that it seemed like an SUV so she would try driving. She is afraid to drive our 4x4 Sprinter.
Now I have to wait for the "after school program" to need more than six seats so we can get a dedicated passenger van for the wife's business then I can sell the convertible passenger/camper van.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

I'm interested in a 2.0 (specifically for the power sofa), but they don't seem to be online anywhere. I guess it's something that needs to be special ordered now?

If so, I imagine it's not going to be available for as much of a discount off MSRP - if I go to a dealer for an order, what's a reasonable price range I should expect?
troyready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
jon
Platinum Member

I've seen the 2.0s with a sofa are on RV trader, but they're not that popular. It's $795 option so they shouldn't be that much more.

12v Power Sofa
$796*(USD)
Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #15

Sorry to keep thread-hijacking, but curious if you (or anyone) has a sense of what a reasonable base price is for a new Aktiv 2.0? Is it reasonable to budget for a fair bit off MSRP?
troyready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
jon
Platinum Member

I have no idea what the dealers will sell the AKTIVs for. Since they are fairly new I wouldn't expect more than $5K off MSRP.
I've seen the price of $89K and the MSRP starts at $94K for the AKTIV 1.0.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Remembering the Dealer has to sell, they will come off more than $5K, plus I don't see the Hymer flying off the lots. You can most probably go online, find Dealers, visit their websites, and see what they have....and bid via the e-mail or phones. Go for it, Ron.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have no idea what the dealers will sell the AKTIVs for. Since they are fairly new I wouldn't expect more than $5K off MSRP.
I've seen the price of $89K and the MSRP starts at $94K for the AKTIV 1.0.
Ok I stand corrected. I saw some dealer ads offering $12500 off MSRP. I really don't know because I haven't bought anything from an RV lot.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The PM's seats have more adjustment than may be immediately obvious. Once they are dialed in correctly, they can be quite comfortable for tall or short.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #20

I'm looking at the brochure for the Aktiv 2.0. Even though you can seat 7 the max occupant and cargo capacity is 750 lbs. I guess if you are talking lots of small kids. I think the Paseo has 6 seat belts but it is 22 ft. I really like the layout and interior decor. Wish it was FWD.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote