Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #21

Thanks for providing the requested info...
photochefs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Oh, I hate to admit the full cost because of the amount of stuff I added including 400 amp/hrs lithium batteries, gasoline cabin heater, marine water heater with heat coil that hooks to engine coolant water, and of coarse a ceramic toilet.
I wanted to spend a little more and not have to add stuff later. I spent a little over 100K including the van.
I actually don't think $100k is a bad price to get exactly what you want. Sure, a Travato or Aktiv would cost $thousands less, but the major compromises you have to make with most OEM vans aren't worth the savings, in my opinion. I've been looking at B vans for years and have never seen one I'd actually buy. I finally decided to postpone my purchase and save up for a custom build. I don't mind paying a bit more to get exactly what I want and also to have fewer build quality issues.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Default Insulation

Hello Jon,

Really nice design, you did good.

Don't think you mentioned insulation.
Floor, ceiling, walls and doors.

Thank you
Santiago
Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
jon
Platinum Member

thinsulate on walls, doors, and ceiling. Plywood on floor because I didn't have room for anything else
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #25
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I actually don't think $100k is a bad price to get exactly what you want. Sure, a Travato or Aktiv would cost $thousands less, but the major compromises you have to make with most OEM vans aren't worth the savings, in my opinion. I've been looking at B vans for years and have never seen one I'd actually buy. I finally decided to postpone my purchase and save up for a custom build. I don't mind paying a bit more to get exactly what I want and also to have fewer build quality issues.
We started by renting a Sportsmobile to take a vacation and loved it. Then we went out and bought a Sprinter 4x4 passenger van and had Van Specialties convert it to a convertible camper/passenger van. We used it during the week to haul kids for the wife's business during the week and camping/traveling on weekends.

Removing a row of seats and adding the bed/dinnett really got old fast. Then there were the endless diesel problems. By the time we sold it I didn't care how much money I lost. Then the business got a used minivan to haul kids.

Getting separate vehicles for the business and personal use allowed use to create the best campervan for us. Only time will tell because I CAN'T sell it (bosses words).
Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 AM   #26
jon
Platinum Member

I finally got my dinette table made....

I have a question about winter travel. We have a trip to MT in a couple of weeks and I know it'll be below freezing. I was planning to blow out the water lines and use the toilet for traveling by flushing with a container of water. It shouldn't matter if some water freezes in the black tank right. I don't think it'll be a hard freeze. Or, should I empty the tank daily? I have a portable macerator pump for those instances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table1.jpg (180.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:18 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Why not just flush with plumbing antifreeze?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #28
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Why not just flush with plumbing antifreeze?
because I never thought of that. Thanks
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have a question about winter travel. We have a trip to MT in a couple of weeks and I know it'll be below freezing. I was planning to blow out the water lines and use the toilet for traveling by flushing with a container of water. It shouldn't matter if some water freezes in the black tank right. I don't think it'll be a hard freeze. Or, should I empty the tank daily? I have a portable macerator pump for those instances.
Will the driver seat turn without hitting the table top or do you have to temporarily remove it? Thanks.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #30
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Will the driver seat turn without hitting the table top or do you have to temporarily remove it? Thanks.
No. You have to swivel the seat then attach the table....one of the many compromises I made to fit all the stuff in a 20 ft van.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
No. You have to swivel the seat then attach the table....one of the many compromises I made to fit all the stuff in a 20 ft van.
It seems we always focus on the coach features and layout and yours is nice. But I'm curious as to what Transit powerplant yours has, power, gas mileage, and handling? Thanks.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #32
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
It seems we always focus on the coach features and layout and yours is nice. But I'm curious as to what Transit powerplant yours has, power, gas mileage, and handling? Thanks.
I had so many deisel problems with my sprinter anything I say will probably sound biased. I have the gas ecoboost Ford engine and it has more torque than my desiel, more responsive, I can idle without worries, no foam while filling, more fuel availability, cheaper......but the trade-off is I'm supposed to get worst milage. I've only have 1000 miles but I seem to be getting within one or two miles per gallon difference of my 4x4 sprinter V6 desiel. After it's broken in it might be the same as long as I drive like my age.

The wife says it rides smoother than the sprinter but that's to be expected. It's RWD as opposed to 4WD.

The turning radius isn't as good as the sprinter or promaster.

I wanted to use a promaster. It's wider (at 5' 9" I can barely sleep widthwise) and FWD but conversion shops will not install forward facing seats because the promaster offers no passenger van. I guess it's liability issues.

I don't like that the transit is RWD but I installed winter tires and with 2000 lbs of weight over the rear wheels I'm hoping it does ok in the snow.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
I had so many deisel problems with my sprinter anything I say will probably sound biased. I have the gas ecoboost Ford engine and it has more torque than my desiel, more responsive, I can idle without worries, no foam while filling, more fuel availability, cheaper......but the trade-off is I'm supposed to get worst milage. I've only have 1000 miles but I seem to be getting within one or two miles per gallon difference of my 4x4 sprinter V6 desiel. After it's broken in it might be the same as long as I drive like my age.

The wife says it rides smoother than the sprinter but that's to be expected. It's RWD as opposed to 4WD.

I wanted to use a promaster. It's wider (at 5' 9" I can barely sleep widthwise) and FWD but conversion shops will not install forward facing seats because the promaster offers no passenger van. I guess it's liability issues.

I don't like that the transit is RWD but I installed winter tires and with 2000 lbs of weight over the rear wheels I'm hoping it does ok in the snow.
Thanks for the driving, handling mileage review. A very overlooked aspect of class b's, yet as important as any other feature. It seems your Boost engine is the way to go. I wonder if the standard 3.7L models can move that kind of weight without feeling sluggish. Not a problem with your model for sure.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:

I wouldn't be using water if it's much below freezing. MT does get much below freezing in the winter. You have an almost guaranteed risk of busting out the plumbing up to the gate valve for sure and maybe the macerator.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #35
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I wouldn't be using water if it's much below freezing. MT does get much below freezing in the winter. You have an almost guaranteed risk of busting out the plumbing up to the gate valve for sure and maybe the macerator.
Ok, ok. I'll blow the water lines out and flush with a jug of RV antifreeze. We're traveling to MT for a few days. Not camping. Last time I visited MT in winter I had a cassette and I just brought in the cassette.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok, ok. I'll blow the water lines out and flush with a jug of RV antifreeze. We're traveling to MT for a few days. Not camping. Last time I visited MT in winter I had a cassette and I just brought in the cassette.
A perfect example of an advantage for a cassette system.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #37
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
That one advantage is not enough to beat the ease of pulling in my driveway and inserting my sewer hose into my sewer clean-out that is couple feet from the drive....compared to lugging my cassette into the bathroom hoping it's all liquids...sometimes the spashes catch you off-gard
Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not a big advantage, however. A black tank is the easiest component to winterize/de-winterize.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
That one advantage is not enough to beat the ease of pulling in my driveway and inserting my sewer hose into my sewer clean-out that is couple feet from the drive....compared to lugging my cassette into the bathroom hoping it's all liquids...sometimes the spashes catch you off-gard
Agreed.

But different strokes and all that.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've read that the Sprinter emissions system can be finicky, but they're pretty reliable otherwise. My primary reason for considering the Sprinter is for the factory 4WD. The Transit can be fitted with the powerful Ecoboost and aftermarket 4WD is available, but some owners have complaints about the Transit too. I'm definitely leaning toward a custom Sprinter build and I'm wondering what issues did you have with your Sprinter? Was it new or used when you purchased it? Were the problems covered under warranty?
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote