Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Hymer Aktiv TV, antenna problem

For some reason on my Hymer Aktiv 1.0, the TV will not find any channels when doing a scan. Almost like the antenna is not connected to the TV? I live in a large metropolitan area, so should find lots of channels. The antenna booster is on (red light). Also, the TV doesn't detect the Blu Ray player. I opened up the small access panel by the TV where HDMI box/splitter (has power and lights are on) and cable connections are located, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. TV has power, Blu ray has power, antenna booster has power, inverter is on, just TV will not find channels or connect to Blu Ray player. Does anybody have any suggestions on what else to check or troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do you have another small portable tv you can take out to your van and try? Or can you take your van tv inside and try it to rule out the tv as the problem?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I will try that and report back. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I tried the TV on my antenna inside my house and it scanned the channels perfectly. So TV works fine, problem is inside the van. I guess next would be to try a different antenna cable from the outlet to the TV?
Old 11-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Lots of RV upfitters put little antenna amplifiers between the antenna and the TV. These things need to be powered in order to work. Some of them also have a switch to turn them off. Check to (a) see if you have one; (b) it is getting power; (c) it is turned on (usually a little LED shows this; and (d) it isn't busted. If you get as far as (d), then you could replace it with a barrel connector to see if it is the block.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Can't say for that model, but on our 2007 190P, Roadtrek had an A-B switch to switch the antenna from TV to surround sound receiver for FM reception. Ours routinely stuck and wouldn't work on either, even though the buttons moved normally.

The fact that the TV won't find other sources would seem to indicate a communication problem, though. Does the antenna connect direct to the TV or through a separate device?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Yes. The antenna amplifier does get power and shows a red LED light when its on.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
Bronze Member

I know the switch you are talking about as we owned a 2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular before the Hymer Aktiv. I don't see such a switch on the Hymer Aktiv antenna booster, but will look more carefully. I don't believe the TV connects directly to the antenna. There is some kind of cable adapter inside a small cabinet that contains the HDMI splitter. There is an output that comes out of that cabinet that the TV connects to. My guess is that there is something connected backwards perhaps inside that small cabinet.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Silver Member

I'm having a slightly similar problem except only with the dvd. My tv antenna on the back of the Banff has a little blue light on when its on, there's also a small red button next to where it plugs in that can switch it on or off. My problem is the TV says there's no signal on HDMI input. Both TV & DVD work fine alone.
Open to suggestions.....
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I will have to climb and look at the antenna itself to see if there is also a light that indicates power on mine. Thanks for the suggestion. I can't explain why the Blu Ray player doesn't show up on the TV. There must be an issue with the HDMI splitter box?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Silver Member

No need to climb up you should be able to see it from the back. It's on the underside of the antenna. Unless of coarse the Aktiv is set up different to the Banff. I'll let you know if i figure my issue out.
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
I'm having a slightly similar problem except only with the dvd. My tv antenna on the back of the Banff has a little blue light on when its on, there's also a small red button next to where it plugs in that can switch it on or off. My problem is the TV says there's no signal on HDMI input. Both TV & DVD work fine alone.
Open to suggestions.....

I also have a Carado Banff, first I replaced my DVD player then I received a HDMI signal. I bought the same unit as Hymer (LG BP350) from Best Buy for $80.

My problem now is I do not get over the air TV stations unless I disconnect the cable from the campervan and let the cable act as an antenna. I am in the Twin Cities with many DTV channels, when I disconnected I got 14 channels, imagine if the booster worked. I do not see a blue light at the bottom of my Sole TV antenna but rather is looks like a black spot. I grabbed my ladder to have a closer look, the top of the van was dry but there was water drops at the back and bottom of the antenna. I am not sure if it is weather sealed at the moment. The brand of the antenna is Solé, soletv.com. I will be contacting them to check on a warranty.
PaulB-2006 T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Today I called Sole TV (Resource International) in Delray Beach (Boynton Beach), FL. Mitch said that Roadtrek/Hymer NA bought their antennas at a discount without a Sole TV warranty as Hymer would wrap it up in the now defunct Hymer NA warranty. Sole TV understands this and thus offered me a replacement antenna for US$65.

I am going to see if the antenna starts working after driving and drying up. If not then I will be in their area next week and if still no reception then I'll buy a new one and pick it up.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB-2006 T4R View Post
Today I called Sole TV (Resource International) in Delray Beach (Boynton Beach), FL. Mitch said that Roadtrek/Hymer NA bought their antennas at a discount without a Sole TV warranty as Hymer would wrap it up in the now defunct Hymer NA warranty. Sole TV understands this and thus offered me a replacement antenna for US$65.

I am going to see if the antenna starts working after driving and drying up. If not then I will be in their area next week and if still no reception then I'll buy a new one and pick it up.
Paul, thanks for the info. on the Sole TV antenna. I have that same model in my '2012 Airstream Avenue "b" and so far it is working. But I've never been able to find their phone number or web site.

After hearing other reports of water intrusion, I sealed mine before it became a problem. I'm surprised they don't just add a small weep hole in the bottom.

My antenna shows an illuminated blue light whenever the winegard antenna booster is on (combo antenna booster and 12v power outlet). Do you know where your booster is? Mine was tucked away in a cabinet. When I push in the button on the booster, a green light comes on to indicate it is getting power.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Yes my booster is in an upper cabinet, when I turn it on I get a red light at the TV input but no blue light. On the top of the antenna I saw SoleTV.com, their number is on their website.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #16
Bronze Member

I emailed Sole at General RI inbox <inbox@resourceintl.net> with "my suspicion is that whatever caused the fuse to blow likely took out the amplifier and/or antenna. Since Roadtrek OEM'd these from you and I can no longer get service from them for these, do you offer a replacement or repair service?" and they suggested I buy a new one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/143253294853

So, I did and when it arrives and I have a chance to install it, I'll followup.

I'm just hoping that this didn't also take out the tuner in the TV, or I'll be buying a new one of them also.
woodbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbri View Post
I emailed Sole at General RI inbox <inbox@resourceintl.net> with "my suspicion is that whatever caused the fuse to blow likely took out the amplifier and/or antenna. Since Roadtrek OEM'd these from you and I can no longer get service from them for these, do you offer a replacement or repair service?" and they suggested I buy a new one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/143253294853

So, I did and when it arrives and I have a chance to install it, I'll followup.

I'm just hoping that this didn't also take out the tuner in the TV, or I'll be buying a new one of them also.
I was wanting a "spare" antenna and was watching the OEM Sole' ebay listing above last Summer. They sent be an unsolicited offer of $50 but I was still not ready to buy. A few weeks later I made my own $50 offer and they turned it down. Not even a counter-offer.

So I bought this King replacement head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Jack-R....c100008.m2219

I did not replace the Sole' but instead carry the King with me. If I don't get good reception on the Sole', I use the King on my dash with a splitter and usually get better reception. And since it is not fixed, I can turn the King to get the best signal. Still not great, just better.