Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #21
Platinum Member

The EFOY is so expensive, has so few dealers, and that the fuel isn't just methanol, but their specific blend, only obtainable from them, that it is at best a bit player.

A fuel cell that can handle everyday propane (and butane rebranded as propane because it is cheaper and sold as propane in southern areas) would be useful.

The WATT, from the specs I looked at, would drain a four gallon cylinder dry in about sixty hours, producing 500 watts. This is OK if one is using it for a weekend.

What would be nice is a model that used significantly less LP gas and put out 100-250 watts. This would be quite useful with a solar panel or two to keep the batteries charged and a compressor fridge going.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
The EFOY is so expensive, has so few dealers, and that the fuel isn't just methanol, but their specific blend, only obtainable from them, that it is at best a bit player.

A fuel cell that can handle everyday propane (and butane rebranded as propane because it is cheaper and sold as propane in southern areas) would be useful.

The WATT, from the specs I looked at, would drain a four gallon cylinder dry in about sixty hours, producing 500 watts. This is OK if one is using it for a weekend.

What would be nice is a model that used significantly less LP gas and put out 100-250 watts. This would be quite useful with a solar panel or two to keep the batteries charged and a compressor fridge going.
I agree that the EFOY is a non-starter, for the reasons mentioned.

I have a 9.9 gallon propane tank that been showing "Full" for two years now. We use it occasionally for our cooktop and it is there in case we ever need our Onan. 500 watts is just about enough power to run a 12VDC split A/C system on half power. I have 440Ah of AGM, and an under-hood generator. We drive a lot. The WATT would obviously run our compressor fridge forever, and probably would make occasional overnight A/C feasible on the rare occasions when we need it. I suspect that even with serious use, we would have to find propane maybe once a week. I would have no problem with this. Every Tractor Supply and many U-haul dealers have it.

Sounds like a winner to me.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #23
Platinum Member

We have a similar setup to Avanti, but don't drive as much, I think. I don't think we would run the fuel cell much, as we do drive often enough and far enough to get the 440ah of AGM to 80%, as that doesn't take long at all. I think the fuel cell would be very good for topping off the batteries, which does take a long time. What happens with a fuel cell when you are not using the full output of it? Does it turn itself down, or is all the extra energy wasted?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #24
Platinum Member

The EFOY fuel cell can be turned on and off. It also has an automatic voltage mode that turns on at 12.3 and turns off at 14.2 volts. I would be surprised that the propane fuel cell wouldn't do similar.

The ironic thing is that if the EFOY cell had more dealers, and was 1/3 the price, it would be a hit, because people would buy one in lieu of solar because it would be able to keep batteries charged while the rig is in storage (although it cannot be used once the temperature hits 33 degrees (F) or lower.) Just having something that can keep the fridge going and the batteries topped off would be worth $1000 or so.

I hope the WATT isn't too insanely priced. If it is, it might just end up suffering the same fate as Truma's offering. For a vehicle with 600+ amp-hours of lithium battery life, it would definitely allow A/C use in the evening without needing to fire up the engine or a generator... something quite prized here in Texas.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #25

It took me a minute to grasp the concept that the fuel isn't there to provide direct power, as does a generator, but more to provide replenishment power to the coach battery system that powers everything.

In my view, The WATT system addresses a big problem with the Volta system in that, when the WATT system is running the fuel cell doesn't emit exhaust fumes the way the Volta system will if/when the chassis engine has to be run to recharge the batteries. I'm thinking 3:00 AM in July in the Southeast and the A/C is in use. At some point the chassis engine is going to turn on to charge the batteries in the Volta system.

On another note, WATT states the system, when running, produces heat. Almost like having a Truma and generator in one unit. If, and I'm sure it's a BIG if at this point, their marketing lives up to the hype, by removing the generator AND a Truma type system, you're freeing up a lot of space to add more battery capacity. If it's needed. If not, by removing part of a heating source and a generator, you're running less weight on your rig. How can any of that be a bad thing? I was jazzed when I saw the video of the Travato Volta system, this fuel cell looks to be a superior choice. IF it lives up to the hype. Very interesting discussion folks..
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote