Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hymer concept for Metris camper modules...

Hymer adds modular flexibility to Mercedes V-Class camper van - Images
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice initiative by Hymer to design flexible modular units, but I find they unfortunately look like laundry baskets!

Hymer designers are often very conservative. They feel that customers who buy these luxury motorhomes will be afraid of a more contemporary look. And maybe they are right!
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Don't quite see the laundry basket comparison as I find it very contemporary. This is a mini-van conversion... obviously for a day camper, since there is no sleeping or bathroom facility. It is not meant to be a luxury RV at all.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It wouldn't take much to add a bed in the pop top and a porta pottie to get it set up for overnight camping.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Don't quite see the laundry basket comparison as I find it very contemporary. This is a mini-van conversion... obviously for a day camper, since there is no sleeping or bathroom facility. It is not meant to be a luxury RV at all.
It's a question of personal taste. I find that the texture and detailing of the containers are over designed for their use.

As always, a camper is also a home, you wouldn't want to live in someone else's decor. The manufacturers have to make a compromise.

I prefer a more tech-style approach like these:

Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Well George... there is just no accounting for taste. LOL Personally I don't care for the look of fake wood and green formica. A bit too industrial for me. Perhaps if it were all white and metal.

After I posted I thought about the fact that there could be a bed in the pop-top, but that isn't a choice that most of us would want. Climbing up there just wouldn't be an option for me... maybe 30 years ago.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Well George... there is just no accounting for taste. LOL Personally I don't care for the look of fake wood and green formica. A bit too industrial for me. Perhaps if it were all white and metal.

After I posted I thought about the fact that there could be a bed in the pop-top, but that isn't a choice that most of us would want. Climbing up there just wouldn't be an option for me... maybe 30 years ago.
I agree !
Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

In discussion with Reimo they mentioned that the Weekender version of the Metris camper is really the most popular. I was surprised but I guess it makes sense if you want to use the van as a van most of the time. These modular configurations could really play to that market and allow use of the van as the family car and then add the pieces you want for the weekends. Also, if you can buy individually this could be nice for people that can't afford to buy everything all at once... just buy some pieces and keep adding.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote