Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That's interesting, as the last commuter I had before I retired very plainly called out that it had no tow rating because they weren't approved for towing (1997 Mercury Tracer sedan). Can't say about "current" stuff.

Somehow, I can't see a Smart car pulling much trailer.
Interesting that the UK Smart Car towing capacity is listed at about 1600 lb.

Not sure how much lower the number would be for a US Smart Car based on the info above about the significant differences for Europe vs US...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

My '09 2.5L Ford Escape is rated to tow 1,500 lbs (680kg) in NA. A UK Smart Car can tow more? !!!

Re: Smart Car - figured someone would have a Youtube video up:

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Some comments about that Smart Car towing a tear drop. When I was in England I was aghast at the number of small cars pulling large trailers. They looked scary to me. That looked like a typical RV park in England (at least the ones I saw). Not much in amenities, just a large field. No wonder toilet cassettes are the norm. Also, most all those RVs were small Class C and B at least in that field of view. In truth, you couldn't drive anything larger than that in Wales and there is a good reason their cab Chassis builds are not much wider than vans unlike our 8"+ projections. The roads are not wide enough. Most of Wales is no wider than 16 feet with no shoulders and stone walls right tight at the pavement.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #24
Platinum Member

The technical requirements and know how and the inherent frugality of using a car to tow all have some appeal to me. I might change my mind on a long climb though.

This Eriba manual is well done: http://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/files/Eriba.pdf

This info:

Quote:
When parked, do not allow the engine of the towing vehicle to run more than necessary. When running idle, a cold engine releases more contaminants than usual. The running temperature of the engine is achieved more quickly whilst the vehicle is in motion.
was interesting to note.

I think speed and loading come into play more than with the units we have here.

Quote:
The caravans are designed by HYMER AG for a technically permissible maximum speed of 100 km/h (60 mph). Therefore never drive faster than 100 km/h (60 mph).
Many countries in Europe have a 50mph limit in place when towing on motorways so you wouldn't do 60mph anyway.

That manual contains lots of good information. It's very thorough and well written. I'm very impressed.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #25
Platinum Member

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #26
Platinum Member

And that vacation is over .............
Old 10-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Maybe it is a North American thing, but the Europeans I know who move to the US don't hesitate on putting a tow hitch on their compact cars. Maybe it is part of the advertising done to sell pickups that one has to have a one-ton dually in order to tow anything sizable. Of course, one can't pull a fifth wheel with a Corolla, but you can get something along the lines of a T@B or an A-liner without issue.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote