Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Sonne, 65.5k

This may not have as many features as a lot of "B"s, but the price is astounding, and I'm pretty sure one can negotiate it down a bit as well.

I know this has been talked about, and it is a fairly Spartan model, especially with a black/gray tank with 13 gallons, 200 ampere-hour battery bank, the Hymer/Roadtrek underhood generator, and no rear window on the starboard side... but it is a class "B", and fairly self contained.

I wonder if this will exert a real price pressure on the industry.

mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Unless someone reports back otherwise, Roadtrek/Hymer margins are 10-15% depending on model and time of year. This line appears to be a Camping World exclusive, so there is no telling the deal they made. But they are obviously not selling this as a premium offering. The quality of the interior is appalling. So they are going to have to sell them at a big discount if they expect to outsell Travato - many have reported buying them at $60-$65k at some of the big dealers. I can't imagine being interested in Sonne unless they are selling in the low to mid 50's.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
Bronze Member

The Sonne floorplan described on GoHymer.com is completely different from the Sunlight models available at Camping World. The Sonne has a length of 17-9, shower at the front, permanent double bed. I was told by the nearest Hymer dealer who has an Aktiv that I can't buy a Sonne in the U.S.

If anyone here has a specifications list for the Sunlight I would like to see this info. I'm still waiting for Camping World to send me anything at all on it.
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Platinum Member

This thread is titled wrong. You are talking about the Sunlight v1, which is a stripped down model sold ONLY at Camping World. There are 30+ of them listed on RV Trader as currently at various Camping Worlds.

It is NOT the Sonne.

I actually saw a Sunlight this week. I like the floor plan, but it has the Ecotrek 200, which I already tried and dumped to go back to AGMs. The Camping Worlds know zilch about these units on their lots. I had to call Hymer to learn that it is not possible to do any special orders on these and/or add anything to what you see. Some of them are listed as low as $59K

The Sonne is a completely different unit and starts at $87K. It can be seen at the Go Hymer website: Go Hymer

I spoke to the East Coast Hymer rep this past week (about the Sunlight) and he also told me that the plan is that the Sonne will start to be delivered to US dealers (not Camping World) probably in June.
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
This thread is titled wrong. You are talking about the Sunlight v1, which is a stripped down model sold ONLY at Camping World. There are 30+ of them listed on RV Trader as currently at various Camping Worlds.
::

30+ of them at CW?

That explains Hymer's market share spike in @markopolo 's report.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f9...html#post56046

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thank you, as I was conflating the two.

This explains a lot, because there is a paucity of details on the Camping World "B", and I was assuming someone mis-translated some German.

From the pictures of the Sunlight, it uses a conventional Suburban furnace, as well as a conventional, likely four gallon, water heater. The ironic thing is that the two units specced is more expensive than a Truma Combi.

I wonder how successful the Camping World model will be. I know that if they get the units into the 50k range, I know people who would buy them as starting points for something better.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I wonder if they are missing a good size of the market by using the smaller tanks and such. Many of us that would buy a basic van with intentions of upgrading the systems to our personal choices would certainly be looking for the normal size tanks. Other stuff is easy to upgrade, but you need the vehicle specific, special, stuff like tanks to be there.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I wonder if they are missing a good size of the market by using the smaller tanks and such. Many of us that would buy a basic van with intentions of upgrading the systems to our personal choices would certainly be looking for the normal size tanks. Other stuff is easy to upgrade, but you need the vehicle specific, special, stuff like tanks to be there.

Most of the first time buyers don't know better.

I have seen so many people who were shocked to find out the numerous hard facts after they have purchased their RV...

eg.

... that they cannot use the air conditioner all night
... that the generator is right below their bed and is noisy as hell
... that water is not unlimited
... that the first generation Travato only had an electric water heater

the list go on.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I have seen so many people who were shocked to find out the numerous hard facts after they have purchased their RV...

eg.

the list go on.

All true, but the folks I am referring to would likely not be first timers, but maybe folks with older units that want to get into a modern chassis, and know what they want to upgrade to suit there needs.They also understand they need the good basics that can't just be modified up.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

eg.

the list go on.

Could I ask you to expand this list? This is actually really useful to me as a first-time buyer. Seriously - help me find my blind spots.

JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote