Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #1

Default Hymer Sunlight Van One Review?

I am looking for an entry level class b, and I really like the Van One, especially with lithium battery option, but I can't seem to find ANY reviews from someone who bought one. I went and looked at one, and yeah the interior quality is low, but I kind of expected that considering its about $20,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new class B. But I have heard good things about the Ram Promaster chassis. Does anyone have any reviews, other than the video from VocalVirgo?
Or maybe there is another class B that would be a good entry level without spending $80,000+?
filmschooljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have been looking at one myself, as something to "fix up". There are some YouTube reviews on it by Vocalvirgo, and the quality is about the level of a travel trailer or entry level class "C", as opposed to a "B".

If you don't mind the cheap interior, I'd probably thing the biggest thing you can get to improve things would be a Honda generator, so you can run the A/C without having to run the vehicle engine, especially here in Texas.

Guess I may make a foray to a CW this weekend to look at one, perhaps comparing it with a Winnebago Travato 59G feature by feature.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post

Guess I may make a foray to a CW this weekend to look at one, perhaps comparing it with a Winnebago Travato 59G feature by feature.
I did the exact thing yesterday, you can tell the quality difference. The main thing I noticed on the Van One was the floor under the driver and passenger seat was not supported so when you stepped into the main cabin, your foot sinks in because there is just some soft rubber there. The 59G feels a little more cramped compared, but the 59K is almost an exact replica and that is where you can see the quality differences. Winnebago uses every extra space it can and everything has a purpose. The Van One is bare bones and does have some things that I know will break if I am using it every weekend or driving on dirt roads a lot. Also the black water tank drain pipe is VERY low to the ground and that makes me scared.

But I am a pretty handy guy, The Van One is basic enough that I could add my own features and make some updates. If things break I am confident I could fix them, so I figure it might be worth the $20,000 price difference. Van One has a under the hood generator option as well as solar for about $5,000 more, which is very enticing to me. But the engine and chassis are the same as the 59G and 59K and that is very important to me and the Ram Promaster has been one of the most reliable chassis in all of Europe. So really the differences are just the features and quality of craftsmanship on the inside, which again, a $20,000 difference may be worth it.
filmschooljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmschooljefe View Post
I am looking for an entry level class b,
Or maybe there is another class B that would be a good entry level without spending $80,000+?

Have you looked at the Winnebago Travato?
Two floor plans.
No lithium though. (IMHO it is not a good bang for the bucks)
3500 chassis vs V-1's 2500 chassis
Ext cab

Street price is about $72k~$76k
Old 08-31-2017, 02:03 AM   #5
Platinum Member

That squishy cabin floor is original to the PM. The support is there, just with a thick layer of foam. We on the PM have contemplated, but not figured out why some have it and some don't. I have it and have grown to like it.

If you are handy, come over to promasterforum.com and see how much better and cheaper you can do when you have it your way from scratch.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmschooljefe View Post
I am looking for an entry level class b, and I really like the Van One, especially with lithium battery option, but I can't seem to find ANY reviews from someone who bought one. I went and looked at one, and yeah the interior quality is low, but I kind of expected that considering its about $20,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new class B. But I have heard good things about the Ram Promaster chassis. Does anyone have any reviews, other than the video from VocalVirgo?
You can buy the The Van one with lithium for $54,000?

A Travato with all the options can be bought around $74,000. You might be able to find one a little cheaper with less options..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
You can buy the The Van one with lithium for $54,000?
They ALL have the lithium. And I highly doubt that you can get one for $54K. More likely high $60s at the lowest. (I'm just guessing... no one has reported on any of the internet pages that I peruse what they have paid)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Forget about the cheap price and the high-tech stuff,

the lowly hot water heater is just as important.
Too many people found out the hard way -- after they have purchased the RV.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

As far as I recall, we have only had one poster on here who bought one... and he was relatively happy the last time he posted.

Interestingly, the Carado Axion comes with the Alde.

VS
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote