Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I'm constantly comparing the US Grand Canyon spec to the European models to see what functionality will change. I'm hoping many of the useful features available in European markets will be available in the US markets.
I have been doing the same. Found these photos of 2016 GC in the Netherlands. Really like the extra operable (they look operable) windows in the rear and the one in the bath. Wonder if they might make in final model or as options?

One nice thing with the Hymer are the operable rear windows, which I have not seen on any US Promaster conversion (not the custom ones)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EuroGrandCanyon.jpg (167.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GrandCanyon2.jpg (711.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #62
Platinum Member

The smaller windows will probably pay dividends in managing heat loss and keeping the unit cooler during temperature extremes.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #63
Platinum Member

The ironic thing is that some of those windows (the back ones) are Seitz windows. Those are acrylic, double-pane windows with argon, nitrogen, or another inert gas between the panes. Those provide excellent insulation and sound deadening properties. For windows like those, the bigger, the better (within reason.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #64
Silver Member

Looks like Hymer is making a play for Asia as well.

Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Does anyone know how these units are offered for sale in Europe? Do they make a habit of offering "build it yourself" type options, or are the options very limited as is the Travato and road trek here...?
To be cost competitive and dealer friendly, it WOULD NOT seem likely that loads and loads of options would be offered. Even with the limited amount of options (like 5, I think) offered for the Travato, it seems I have a hard time finding exactly what I want on a dealer lot (and Winnebago already has lots of dealers).
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Liked the "SelfSat Outdoor" satellite antenna on rear door, but no TV inside?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Does anyone know how these units are offered for sale in Europe? Do they make a habit of offering "build it yourself" type options, or are the options very limited as is the Travato and road trek here...?
To be cost competitive and dealer friendly, it WOULD NOT seem likely that loads and loads of options would be offered. Even with the limited amount of options (like 5, I think) offered for the Travato, it seems I have a hard time finding exactly what I want on a dealer lot (and Winnebago already has lots of dealers).
The dealers have much more control in how a particular van is optioned. For example, a dealer in the UK strikes a deal with Benimar for their new Tessoro line but will specify an oven (since UK caravaners like ovens) for all vans. They may also order the vans with cab air con, nav, passenger airbag, etc. Other than that any customization is handled by the dealer (like TV's, curtains, bug screens, power steps, etc.). So, there are actually very few "options" available per model. But, in Europe there are so many camper van manufacturers that each brand will actually launch a model line targeting a price point with various options (i.e. Adria has a budget range called "Sunliving").
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #68
Platinum Member

'Looks like Hymer is making a play for Asia as well.'

I think this is great news... It hopefully encourages suppliers to design products for a global market and not just the European market which should ultimately translate to greater reliability and more choices.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Is Hymer providing for the storage of a large LCD TV so you can attach it to a onboard mount when setting up camp?

Not sure of their intent
Old 09-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Adapting the design for their american market
Flat vs. curved countertop in the european model.
I guess it is more practical ;-(

Hymer USA Elkhart model

European model

European model with optional screen.
Doesn't seem to have room for a screen on the American Hymer?
And the american counter seems to be wider.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #71
Platinum Member

The waterfall countertop is very attractive. Probably cost cutting.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #72
Platinum Member

The engineering that goes into building an RV (especially a Class B) is fraught with details to optimize space, make a small space feel open, manage weight, and remain competitive. It now makes sense why WGO is constantly doing mid-cycle upgrades to the ERA and Travato products.

Before placing my ERA order, I downloaded the owner's manual from WGO and there is a bunch of details to master.

I know many have shared initial purchase q&a issues with your respective RVs but Would you make the same purchase today knowing what you know now?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #73
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The waterfall countertop is very attractive. Probably cost cutting.
Maybe the waterfall countertop is an optional upgrade package.

Optional extras
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote