Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default I think I found that unicorn I was chasing...

You were all so helpful to me this week, I wanted to post an update on my search, very exciting news... Recap, hunting for the perfect Class B... Because I have kids (one of whom is a 12 year old son who is likely not gung ho to share a bed with his mom), finding the right sleeping configuration as well as interior layout is the challenge.

I really love the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 and felt the extra platform bed across the dinette and front seats would work for my son...

Well, new information (at least to me). The loft edition (Westfalia and Hymer Aktiv 2.0 had a baby) is available for order.

Check out 13.49 on this video:

I am thrilled . It is perfect for me. While I don't like the idea of being one of the first to order a brand new model, I think it is really the best solution for me and I am super excited. The bed in the loft is 56" x 80"! Otherwise the same layout. I'm testing driving a non-loft version on Thursday and getting ready to place an order.

Press release on Hymer website (not sure why I didn't see it since I've been on there website multiple times recently):
Hymer Aktiv 2.0 Loft Edition Awarded Best in Show by RV Pro for 2018 - Go Hymer
indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Good luck for you and your son with that camper van. We had a VW Vanagon Westfalia with the pop-up loft bed for 20 years and it seems Hymer is channeling Westy vibes with that loft bed.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

During times when Westfalia was popular the competitor was Sportsmobile with pup-up roof, not tilted. We liked our 2 Westfalias a lot except one issue, closing the roof with wet fabric after rain fabric. It was not a big issue because we could dry it out at home. As far as I know Sportsmobile – Penthouse has vinyl coated fabric, which sheds water well. I would ask Hymer what type of fabric they will be using, easy to dry or not.

I wouldn’t worry of being knew, the concept of pop top is well proven in EU.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
Platinum Member

That looks like a perfect van for small family.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 01-24-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I saw that you caught it on Facebook today.

Definitely Hymer has been doing these pop-tops in Europe for many many years, and other than that, it is the same Activ that has been out here for a couple years now. Most of the bugs have been worked out.

Next you need to decide which of the options you need and can afford. AGMs or Lithiums? Voltstart? Solar? It comes with the underhood generator standard and the Truma Combi for heat and hot water.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Gold Member

Thanks all...

GeorgeRa, good point. I will get more info.

Mumkin, I am finding the Facebook page quite helpful! Definitely a couple of horror show stories over there and I feel truly terrible for the owners that drew the short stick. But it was comforting to read about all the people who have encountered zero to minimal problems. I know I want solar but I haven't had a chance to ask yet whether that is a possibility with the pop-top. I am supposing that there isn't a lot of extra space up there. The truma and underhood generator, very happy about that. The lithium and VS... ugh - would rather not but fearful of hurting resale if I don't. I'd rather not spend the extra money for something that could be problematic, but who knows what the future holds. What if in 3 or 4 years I want to sell - I'm still under warranty which would be appealing to a buyer. By then maybe lithium seems like an advantage rather than its dicey self in this current moment? It's a struggle knowing the right way to proceed but I am leaning toward the fully optioned lithium VS route.

I just could not believe my eyes when I saw that pop-up on the Aktiv 2.0. -- In the thread the other day BBQ had posted a picture of the pop-top and I thought wistfully how nice that would be. Two days later in lands in my lap. Shazam!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm another past owner of a Westfalia - way back in the seventies when our two daughters were young kids! One slept up top and the younger one slept in a hammock that installed across the two front seats. It worked fine.

I really liked that little VW van - and I suppose it is one of the reasons why I am now thinking of going back to a van!

If four of us could happily co-exist in the VW, surely now two of us can camp in a larger one with many more amenities! Mind you we did have a nice "add a room" tent that hooked up to the VW and considerably increased our living space. It had a "boot" that coupled it to teh van. You could drive away and leave the tent behind - a great way to reserve the site and store stuff.

Best of luck with your unicorn!

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Personlly I don't think not having the lithium/voltstart will hurt you at all. There are just as many people who (like me) prefer to avoid them. Right now a big question is what will be the cost when your X year old van needs new lithiums? (and the 6 year warranty is done) Will the prices drop to something more affordable? If you must buy from Hymer, we know that they will be very overpriced as is everything that they sell for replacement parts.

You can buy AGMs easily... and reasonably (relatively speaking). And it is also easy to have a remote starter added if you ever feel that you need one. To me, unless you plan extended boondocking out in the middle of nowhere, I'd save the money. $7000 will buy a lot of gas...

It has been posted that solar will be available along with AC on the pop-top, but early news is not always accurate.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We had 2 Westfalias, 1977 and 1985 and they become a part of our camping DNA driving us the the future of our current van. Before switching to a larger RV, we used all sleeping places with our family of five, our youngest son on the hammock mounted on the front pillars.

One morning in the Yosemite Valley I was preparing a breakfast. Took a walk around the van and noticed bear footprints on the driver door with slightly open window. Our youngest was sleeping there, we decided that for family of 5 a trailer would be a better choice.

Talking about Yosemite bears, we were riding toward the Mirror Lake from the valley floor, I was pulling the bicycle trailer with 2 oldest and my wife carried the youngest one on the rear seat. Seeing ahead a large bear with a big red tag I stopped abruptly, my wife almost run into the kids in the trailer. We made quick u-eys and a few hundred yards down the hill we run into the ranger, telling him about this bear, he asked – what was the number on the tag.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Also Australia several B manufacturers here use a pop top
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

There are pro and cons to the pop top option. There are definitely some advantages including being able to use a lower roof van and still having standing room with the top up..

The downsides include a significant loss of storage space with loss of upper cabinet space in a Class B with limited storage to start with. There is also loss of roof space for things like AC, solar, etc. Another downside is the extra cost of the pop top. A Sportsmobile pop top adds $9000-$10,000 depending on the bed option, power lift, paint, etc.. I have no idea what Hymer pricing will be.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #12
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We had 2 Westfalias, 1977 and 1985 and they become a part of our camping DNA driving us the the future of our current van. Before switching to a larger RV, we used all sleeping places with our family of five, our youngest son on the hammock mounted on the front pillars.
What nice memories! I am so looking forward to creating my own!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm another past owner of a Westfalia - way back in the seventies when our two daughters were young kids! One slept up top and the younger one slept in a hammock that installed across the two front seats. It worked fine.

I really liked that little VW van - and I suppose it is one of the reasons why I am now thinking of going back to a van!

If four of us could happily co-exist in the VW, surely now two of us can camp in a larger one with many more amenities! Mind you we did have a nice "add a room" tent that hooked up to the VW and considerably increased our living space. It had a "boot" that coupled it to teh van. You could drive away and leave the tent behind - a great way to reserve the site and store stuff.

Best of luck with your unicorn!

Brian
Thank you Brian! seems that so many people just loved their Westfalias! I am excited to get a bit of that experience. Sounds like you had have some great memories to look back upon. What is your next MH? Any closer to a decision?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
There are pro and cons to the pop top option. There are definitely some advantages including being able to use a lower roof van and still having standing room with the top up..

The downsides include a significant loss of storage space with loss of upper cabinet space in a Class B with limited storage to start with. There is also loss of roof space for things like AC, solar, etc. Another downside is the extra cost of the pop top. A Sportsmobile pop top adds $9000-$10,000 depending on the bed option, power lift, paint, etc.. I have no idea what Hymer pricing will be.
hi there, From what I can see on the youtube videos I've been able to find - the pop top is above the roof and the same exact layout of the existing 2.0. Additionally the pop top does not increase the overall height of the RV. There is still AC, still the bathroom fan, still solar panels. Not sure how they fit is all up there and I believe the unit they are touring around is a prototype so I guess that is not too helpful. But there isn't any loss of upper cabinets (bear in mind the uppers were fairly shallow to start which is actually one of the thing I like, particularly since I won't be fulltiming and am placing a premium on sleeping more people and having more living space). The pop top adds $5k to the price. I'm learning that the price fully optioned with the power sofa is $104K. gulp. But still considering ordering without the lithium batteries and VS for a savings of $7k. Whatever the case I have to pay 6-1/4 % massachusetts sales tax.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Personlly I don't think not having the lithium/voltstart will hurt you at all. There are just as many people who (like me) prefer to avoid them. Right now a big question is what will be the cost when your X year old van needs new lithiums? (and the 6 year warranty is done) Will the prices drop to something more affordable? If you must buy from Hymer, we know that they will be very overpriced as is everything that they sell for replacement parts.

You can buy AGMs easily... and reasonably (relatively speaking). And it is also easy to have a remote starter added if you ever feel that you need one. To me, unless you plan extended boondocking out in the middle of nowhere, I'd save the money. $7000 will buy a lot of gas...

It has been posted that solar will be available along with AC on the pop-top, but early news is not always accurate.
hi Mumkin, it is a TOUGH one. I am going down to the dealer tomorrow to test drive an Aktiv 1.0 to get a feel for the drivability. Planning to discuss this with them then. I think they are mostly ALL being built with the lithium and VS and so there is this strange inkling in my head, of asking them to do something they don't normally do. Seems it took them this long to figure out how to do what they are supposed to do correctly. Am I asking for trouble to ask for a non-standard option?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsy View Post
Thank you Brian! seems that so many people just loved their Westfalias! I am excited to get a bit of that experience. Sounds like you had have some great memories to look back upon. What is your next MH? Any closer to a decision?
Hello Indoorsy! For now we still have our 31 ft Airstream and truck. As we age I can see some advantages to downsizing, and it will also re-open some fresh horizons for us in terms of access to many campsites that are just too small or difficult to negotiate with our larger rig - we will certainly miss all the space we have though if we go ahead with this swap - which seems fairly likey at this point as long as I can get a fair price for what we now have!

I don't want to go too large, so the Leisure vans at 25 ft are out for us, as are the longer XL Roadtreks - I feel 21-23 ft is the sweet spot for us as a good compromise between enough livijg space and ease of handling as a second vehicle and parking.

That said, my favourite for now from what we have seen so far is by far the
PW Lexor FL that is just now available. ((similar to the Lexor ST that was the one PW had at the Toronto show, but with a drivers seat that fully rotates and has a flip up computer table. )

However I still want to look first hand at: RT Adventurous, PW Plateau FL, and
Winnebago Travato 59K and maybe RT 190 and 210.

No rush though, we still love our Airstream trailer and are about to hit the road for seven weeks in Florida! I hope to see some more while we are away - if not, I will chase around to dealers to see them when we get home in April!

Brian
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #17
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
No rush though, we still love our Airstream trailer and are about to hit the road for seven weeks in Florida! I hope to see some more while we are away - if not, I will chase around to dealers to see them when we get home in April!

Brian
So jealous! Enjoy your trip! Not sure if you go to the West or East coast but if the West try walking the beach at Manasota Key. Shark tooth capital of the world. Get up early to get the biggest teeth.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
So jealous! Enjoy your trip! Not sure if you go to the West or East coast but if the West try walking the beach at Manasota Key. Shark tooth capital of the world. Get up early to get the biggest teeth.
We have been south each winter since retiring 19 years ago - I opted for an early retirement at 56 with the kids gone and the house long since paid!

For quite a few years we would go to California or Arizona but more recently Florida has been on the agenda as my wife prefers the shorter drive!

We do tend to prefer to move around a lot rather than stay at one campground and I see that as an advantage of vans rather than larger RV's

If we get a van I can see us getting back to touring re than we do now but maybe not so far in one day as it should be so much easier to find spots to stay - either RV parks or stealth camping almost anywhere!

With our trailer, the main effort has been to get to destination with as few intermediate stops as possible - made it from Toronto to San Diego on one trip in three and a half days!

I'm slowing down, driving less per day, and smelling the flowers now though! No more thousand mile days! (Well maybe one now and then!)

This winter's trip will be split between Topsail Hill Preserve State Park near Destin on the Gulf and Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park at Melbourne on the Atlantic side.

We have been to both before several times. We can stay in the Melbourne park for just $16.50 a night with full hookups - a bargain these days! Topsail hill is more like $45 if I recall.

Brian
Old 01-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
hi Mumkin, it is a TOUGH one. I am going down to the dealer tomorrow to test drive an Aktiv 1.0 to get a feel for the drivability. Planning to discuss this with them then. I think they are mostly ALL being built with the lithium and VS and so there is this strange inkling in my head, of asking them to do something they don't normally do. Seems it took them this long to figure out how to do what they are supposed to do correctly. Am I asking for trouble to ask for a non-standard option?
I love the drive... the little Carado Axion is more fun than an SUV. LOL

They have been building RVs with AGMs and no voltstart since the 1970s. It is the standard. They've got it down pat... with very few glitches and issues. No problem with ordering this because Lithium and VS are actually options.

Special orders to get what you want are normally the same price as on the lot... and BTW, no one pays the MSRP. I would assume a 12-18% discount on that number.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme