Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

Default Ice Maker for my RV

Thinking to replace refrigerator with an ice maker i don't know if its right let me know about this also suggest an ice maker which is affordable and have a drainage facility and share your ice maker pics if possible
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
Thinking to replace refrigerator with an ice maker i don't know if its right let me know about this also suggest an ice maker which is affordable and have a drainage facility and share your ice maker pics if possible
I doubt too many have replaced their fridge with an ice maker. In your case, I believe it would take a conversion to a 110/12v compressor from your current absorption set up.

Is your fridge not capable of making ice now? If so, a conversion to a properly vented Novacool or other compressor fridge will make ice consistently in the freezer portion. But you will drain your batteries quicker with any compressor arrangement, no matter how efficient they've gotten. We get by fine overnight, but two nights without driving or plugging in to recharge would not be possible.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I doubt too many have replaced their fridge with an ice maker. In your case, I believe it would take a conversion to a 110/12v compressor from your current absorption set up.

Is your fridge not capable of making ice now? If so, a conversion to a properly vented Novacool or other compressor fridge will make ice consistently in the freezer portion. But you will drain your batteries quicker with any compressor arrangement, no matter how efficient they've gotten. We get by fine overnight, but two nights without driving or plugging in to recharge would not be possible.
It doesn't make ice and I have been planning to remove fridge for many days and to replace it with ice maker I have got thumbs up for my idea but getting confused should I go for a standalone ice maker or a portable ice maker and to go for which model.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

I have got a similar forum related my questions here's the link http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...idge-2669.html
Old 09-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here's a pic of my "ice maker" - I discovered these bags a few months ago, which can be filled, tied off (leakproof), and packed very efficiently in my Vitrifrigo van fridge.

This won't meet your needs if you are tailgating or doing something that requires huge volumes of ice. But for people who are just looking for a way to replenish ice on the road, where spillable trays will not work, it's an option.

The ice bags are about ten cents apiece on Amazon.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I replaced my absorption fridge with a two door 4.5 compressor fridge.
I did not use the seat behind the drivers seat in my 1997 RoadTrek.
So, I installed it there.
Can run 5 days or so just on the solar.
Might get better as I tested it with an empty unit.
The freezer is solid, and the fridge keeps my milk cold with no worries.
I guess that was not your question? But, it is a nice option?
Thanks
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote