Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
swo

Default In the Travato club now

I'm now a card carrying Travato owner.
2016 59G in Granite with Bike rack.

lt should be ready for pick up in 2 weeks so they have time to do their prep and check out - plus I gave them a short list of cosmetic things to get them started. Some may require parts from Iowa. Much better than waiting months for a build.

Dealer experience was as expected.
First offer they came with was higher than the Zion I was checking out at a competitors lot. I told them I had a verbal on the Zion for less than what they quoted was their "best" offer on the Travato- I wasn't bluffing either.
Second offer was better and they said "this is the drive away price" - I said great -then they added taxes and fees - which in my language is not "drive away". I was ready to walk out since my attraction to the 59G was its lower price than a ZION. We haggled back and forth, I got to explain my position several times to multiple people and "managers". We finally settled on a lower actual drive away price that basically offset Va sales tax and they threw in some part store credit. They got the financing to 4.5 pct /180 months- which is less than my credit union. I may refinance later. I'm not a great negotiator. Someone more persistent may have done a little better. The ballpark numbers from helpful members here strengthened my negotiation position. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to getting through the inspection and check out so we can do our initial outfitting and hit the road. We'll be roaming through Tidewater and central Virginia initially then venture out further to Pennsylvania and Florida.
swo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Awesome. Congrats!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Nice work! Let's see some photos!
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Congrats! You'll enjoy.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Congrats. 2 weeks sounds like a long time for prep and to fix a couple issues. I bet they only spend a day on it. I'd check in a few times to see how they are doing.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #6

very cool!!! Is it a 2016?
My warranty repair list is nearly complete and will post more on dealer experience once complete.

Even with warranty items and poor dealer experience (so far), I am still happy with my choice.
Gobird@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Gold Member

Welcome aboard!
thefitrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Congrats. Ditto to what wincrasher said. 2 weeks? Keep on them....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
swo

It is a 2016.

I guess it's not really a full 2 week wait.
They weren't going to touch it this weekend- too late today and they're closed tomorrow, so earliest they could touch it is Monday. They had a ton of new sales according to the salesman - so I suppose they are pretty busy in the back. It's that time of year in the biz.

There were a few things I found on a quick visual check that they will need to order - I suspect that will take a few days as well. So I guess the week after next would be closer to what we discussed.

I would rather that they take their time in discovering and fixing stuff rather than just clean it up and rely on me to find stuff. Unfortunately, from what I've read here the latter case is more common.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #10

Congrats. Curious what warranty items you had to have done. I'm a 2016 G owner and so far had the following:

TV replaced- lines running through picture
Dinette table adjusted- too loose
Wiper spray adjusted- missed the windshield
shower pump replaced- mine was shorting out
Missing shower drain screen
Complained about the fabric windshield shades and they replaced with the new fold up ones.
Camper radio not playing Bluetooth setting.
joefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

Oh good. Another Travato. These were our warranty items so far (we've had our for 2 months)
Check engine light - replaced all glow plugs
leaky kitchen faucet
no bath mat in van
no red Froli inserts - on order
chain across back doors broken by the guy doing our walkthrough
Three times I've attempted to do a review of "how we like it so far" but keep getting a message that I'm not authorized to post! Too long? Maybe?
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
swo

I guess I could build a pretty good list with this forums input.

I have not done the full vehicle check out and functional tests yet.
There wasn't time late Saturday to do that- they were closed Sunday.
Most of what I saw and provided to the staff in writing were cosmetic:
scratches on Body/wheelwell trim, rusty screw heads on most of the exterior fittings, scratch on refrig., broken knob on watertight compartment in bath, bent TV mount, couldn't get any vent fans to work, main powered vent was making an annoying beep and we couldn't clear whatever caused it. Generator started but we didn't do a full load test. I drove it on rural roads and at 70 MPH on the interstate seemed like all the vehicle stuff worked but the devil is in the detail.Radio, Nav, and back up camera worked.
But didn't try wipers. I'll check on the shades I though they were MCD pull downs
I'm sure there were many more. In fact I'm going to call about doing a two phase turnover. One where I drive down and do the complete check and make a "punch list" then come home until they say they are done. It's a hour drive and I've got a ride there but if its not 99% ready I'd have to take it as is and keep bringing it back until everything gets fixed.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicallie View Post
Oh good. Another Travato. These were our warranty items so far (we've had our for 2 months)
Check engine light - replaced all glow plugs
leaky kitchen faucet
no bath mat in van
no red Froli inserts - on order
chain across back doors broken by the guy doing our walkthrough
Three times I've attempted to do a review of "how we like it so far" but keep getting a message that I'm not authorized to post! Too long? Maybe?
I caught my dealer trying to throw out my bath "mat" in the dumpster. He thought it was trash. Thankfully, I was able to save that piece of vinyl.

I'm trying to find something to sleeve that chain. I don't want to remove it, but I don't like it banging around.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #14

So, after two weeks ownership and most warranty problems resolved, I'm happy with the 59k and becoming more so with my dealer.
Problems: neither fan worked, 2 overheard cabinet doors would not lock, LED lights in galley inop, rr bumper cover pulling away at corner, seams unraveling on cushions, and no paint on door sill where plastic fender is.
Took it to dealer a week ago when was told that license plate was in as well as repair parts for warranty. Was told a couple of days by the young man writing it up. After no word in three days I called him and was told that parts were on order and maybe I would get it next week. I came unglued and asked to have his supervisor call me. After explaining to svc mgr that my van had sat for two weeks on his lot with known warranty problems that were not repaired at delivery (end of month), and now to be told that my van was going to sit there another week or more was unacceptable. He brought in a 59g from another dealership not far away and cannibalized it to repair mine. I was able to pick it up on Sat afternoon, 24 hrs later.
The only remaining warranty items I have (at this point) is one cabinet latch that will not hold, replacement of both cushions due to a couple inches of unraveled seam on each one, and completion of silver paint on the part of the front plastic fenders that overlap the door sills of both front doors which cannot be seen with doors closed.
Still a few things to try, mostly the plumbing. Hopefully it will stay warm and I can fill up the tank in a couple weeks.
Gobird@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote