Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Post Insurance company recommendations?

There is a big difference between insuring a "B" van as a gestalt, where the upfitting is covered, versus insuring just the chassis.

Any recommendations for an insurance company which will have it in the written policy that the entire upfit is covered in case of a wreck, and have it stated clearly that not just the van is covered, but the furniture, appliances, and other stuff? There are insurance companies which will happily cover a van without a second thought... but tend to omit that the stuff inside isn't covered.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

our coverage is with progressive- same as cars, motorcycles, house. only pay for 1 UIM and it covers all occurances. the quoted coverage limit is below the "blue book" and below what we paid for a used unit- but that's the way it goes. I am sure that you could buy supplemental although convincing a company that your van is worth $50k if blue book is $20K would be a chore.( and would open them up to fraud exposures) as with any insurance question: the true answer varies by State by company by the owner's credit, financial, claims and driving histories and each situation is different. call around...although I have the above 4 progressive policies...I got a better rate for my classic vehicles with another carrier. mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

our RV coverage is with progressive- same as cars, motorcycles, house.

only pay for 1 UIM and it covers all occurances.

the quoted coverage limit is below the "blue book" and below what we paid for a used unit- but that's the way it goes. I am sure that you could buy supplemental although convincing a company that your van is worth $50k if blue book is $20K would be a chore.( and would open them up to fraud exposures)

as with any insurance question:
the true answer varies by State
by company
by the owner's credit, financial, claims and driving histories and each situation is different.

call around...although I have the above 4 progressive policies...I got a better rate for my classic vehicles with another carrier.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That is a negative if I decided to go the Sportsmobile route. Since each van is custom, I can't just point to a NADA value and say, "insure at this amount." Especially if the upfitting is more than the cost of the van, all things included, and that the floor plan I'm looking at is completely custom.

I wonder if I could just send the insurance company a bill of materials and labor it took to install it all, as proof against insurance fraud.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I had read a similar thread and it was recommended that we insure for replacement cost. We are taking delivery of our advanced rv next week and am using Progressive. I spoke with someone that had replacement coverage and a fire destroyed their van and it was covered for the full cost of replacement and they had a very good experience working with Progressive. Hope this helps. Hope you never have to use your insurance!! Jim
Tenbike2 is offline   Reply With Quote