Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
"Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site."
That post was two years old, the service is probably not in existence any more...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:36 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Hey, thread revival.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. This year’s trip required us to quarantine on my land in Canada, which continues to be as remote as it ever was, and in order to be able to pick up daily phone calls reliably from the minders (the quarantine police), we needed a better cellular mast.

This particular spruce pole raised the Wilson a full 25 feet above grade. This was the year that we discovered “timber ties” - lag screws optimized for building with logs (cheers to the DIY TV network, which is where I learned about them). They allowed us to brace this thing so it would not come crashing down on our solar panels. Plus we also set it in a hole to help with stability.

It was heavy and dangerous to lift, though. I’m on the hunt for a good quality telescoping mast that could do this job in the future. Going up a full 25 feet did result in an LTE improvement. It’s worth finding a more permanent solution to replicate that in the future.

Image from my IG. Husband (engineer): “You labeled it wrong. It’s not a Yagi. It’s a log periodic. A lot of ads call them Yagis.”

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote