Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Just for the record.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I said people full-time in a Class B, I didn’t say I did. I know several people that do. I’ve been out at one time about 3 months. This year we were out twice for over 6 weeks each time. The point is if you think you have to intersperse it with hotel stays to recuperate then perhaps a Class B is not for you.

I do other non RV travel, mostly overseas. Last year we went to Australia. Three years ago we went to the Dominican Republic and toured in a rented passenger van while our daughter-in-law college professor researched women from Haiti and how they made a living in the DR because they were officially unemployable. So consequently we did not stay in the tourist resorts but traveled in the poor areas. Now, looking back that was seemingly dangerous given the recent publicity. That was not the first time we did that. We were in Cairo, Egypt’s Tahrir Square we had to walk to the National Museum because the massive Arab Spring crowds blocked our van. Same traveling in Bolivia where we went to ruins in the Andes Mountains and there were no other registered Americans in the sign in book. I was also mugged in Bolivia when at a festival of 500,000 people and stood out with my white hair and complexion and a foot taller than most. An organized gang of youths squirted water in my eyes and when my hands went up they frisked my wallet. This year we are taking a European river cruise. Hopefully that will be safe. But none of those were because we needed a rest from Class B travel.
Dave, I merely inquired if you were full time; I really didn't think you were... My overriding point is that the Class B's are really pretty small to "live in"...24/7... although, I understand that some people do.....I would not be able to do that....

YES, great to hear that you also do travel abroad.... we've been to Europe twice.....

I'm very sorry that you had a negative experience in getting held up.... I suppose it can happen anywhere....

With the recent news about Mexico ( Cabo San Lucas) and the Dominican Republic, I would be very reluctant to travel to places like that.....

Good luck.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default I guess it all depends on what you mean by occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I have no need whatsoever for a "rest" from my van. I consider it more my "home" than the house in Northern Oklahoma that I visit occasionally. Unfortunately, my shop and MrNomer's professional papers don’t fit in the van.

If it's less than four or five months being home.....then you're full time living in the van. I think that the insurance company standard for full time is 6 months or more?

You might as well consider whether or not you really need the place. ? What purpose does it serve?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #23
Platinum Member

It has been mentioned several times above but I can’t recommend renting enough. Renting a class B in the size or sizes you want should help answer almost all your questions. In my opinion it doesn’t need to be he same you want to buy but at least a class B in one of the sizes should help. I wonder if Advanced RV still rents?

We rented an older class B that was 22 feet and it was the number one best thing we did. It really made clear in our minds that we wanted a shorter van (19 feet) and no propane. Those two things narrowed the field pretty quickly and made choosing options super easy. We bought a RT Agile with no propane, no lithium, and no volt start. It’s our 3rd year with the van and it fits our needs perfectly. We love it and the lifestyle has been great (weekends, day trips to hike, and a long summer vacation). Renting really really helped.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
It has been mentioned several times above but I can’t recommend renting enough. Renting a class B in the size or sizes you want should help answer almost all your questions. In my opinion it doesn’t need to be he same you want to buy but at least a class B in one of the sizes should help. I wonder if Advanced RV still rents?

We rented an older class B that was 22 feet and it was the number one best thing we did. It really made clear in our minds that we wanted a shorter van (19 feet) and no propane. Those two things narrowed the field pretty quickly and made choosing options super easy. We bought a RT Agile with no propane, no lithium, and no volt start. It’s our 3rd year with the van and it fits our needs perfectly. We love it and the lifestyle has been great (weekends, day trips to hike, and a long summer vacation). Renting really really helped.
Yes - ARV still has rentals. Contact them.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes - ARV still has rentals. Contact them.
Make sure you have plenty of credit limit left on your credit card. Advanced RV is industry-high pricey in most everything they sell, service, or rent. Good reputation for quality and customer satisfaction from what I've read, however.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Default What's wrong with propane?

Quote:

I know the trend on a lot newer vans is going to solar, maybe you did this? We actually have a small solar panels system that tops off our batteries, however, it's not enough power to run all the systems.

I've heard that Volt Start is pretty complicated and the cost to replace lithium batteries is pretty expensive... plus, you lose a lot of space when the lithium batteries are on board. I've seen that set up on the Roadtrek Etrek.....it's a sweet, but very complex arrangement. And, you can run the A/C for a few hours.....

What didn't you like about the 22 foot.... and what model was that when you rented it? There's so many different vans out there.... I know that the little finishing details and layouts can make a huge difference on how it feels with inside space.... there's a lot of bad ergonomics out there.....

Our van is just shy of 23 feet... I wouldn't want it any smaller.... it's pretty compact as it is... 3 feet makes a lot of difference when you are talking this size....

Are you mainly saying that you like the 19 footer because of parking??

I can see if you use it mostly for day trips...we certainly do that occasionally.... but, we've taken more trips long distance......

Storage is an issue on a Class B.... I'm very glad to have the longer platform....

The way you use it makes a difference.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I know the trend on a lot newer vans is going to solar, maybe you did this? We actually have a small solar panels system that tops off our batteries, however, it's not enough power to run all the systems.

I've heard that Volt Start is pretty complicated and the cost to replace lithium batteries is pretty expensive... plus, you lose a lot of space when the lithium batteries are on board. I've seen that set up on the Roadtrek Etrek.....it's a sweet, but very complex arrangement. And, you can run the A/C for a few hours.....

What didn't you like about the 22 foot.... and what model was that when you rented it? There's so many different vans out there.... I know that the little finishing details and layouts can make a huge difference on how it feels with inside space.... there's a lot of bad ergonomics out there.....

Our van is just shy of 23 feet... I wouldn't want it any smaller.... it's pretty compact as it is... 3 feet makes a lot of difference when you are talking this size....

Are you mainly saying that you like the 19 footer because of parking??

I can see if you use it mostly for day trips...we certainly do that occasionally.... but, we've taken more trips long distance......

Storage is an issue on a Class B.... I'm very glad to have the longer platform....

The way you use it makes a difference.
We rented a 2008 Sprinter. I think it was a Gulf Stream built van. The layout was great but I didn’t like the length for parking. It was just big enough to be a pain at trail heads, small towns etc. It’s really why renting made such a difference for us... for most people the extra two feet wouldn’t be a problem... for us it just seemed huge and I liked driving the shorter vans better. Also we store the van at a storage location (we live in downtown Boston) and if the van was over 20 feet it would have cost me an extra $140/month to store it. Ours just fits in a regular spot. Note with all electric we have the spare in the standard Mercedes location under the van and the AGM batteries are in the location where the propane tank usually goes. No continental kit off the back.

We have found for two people we have enough storage for all the trips we take; even two weeks. Bedding (RV super sac) above the couch and we each get a rear cabinet (1 on each side) for clothes (stored in packing cubes). We added drawers to the hanging locker (inexpensive plastic 3 drawer unit from Walmart), kitchen has all food and kitchen stuff and overflow goes above the cab. We even have a Nespresso (the coffee sleeves fit perfectly in the thin drawer above the fridge). The van has just the right amount of space for two.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default I understand.... Boston is tough for parking and driving...not to mention Winter stor

Quote:
We rented a 2008 Sprinter. I think it was a Gulf Stream built van. The layout was great but I didn’t like the length for parking. It was just big enough to be a pain at trail heads, small towns etc. It’s really why renting made such a difference for us... for most people the extra two feet wouldn’t be a problem... for us it just seemed huge and I liked driving the shorter vans better. Also we store the van at a storage location (we live in downtown Boston) and if the van was over 20 feet it would have cost me an extra $140/month to store it. Ours just fits in a regular spot. Note with all electric we have the spare in the standard Mercedes location under the van and the AGM batteries are in the location where the propane tank usually goes. No continental kit off the back.

We have found for two people we have enough storage for all the trips we take; even two weeks. Bedding (RV super sac) above the couch and we each get a rear cabinet (1 on each side) for clothes (stored in packing cubes). We added drawers to the hanging locker (inexpensive plastic 3 drawer unit from Walmart), kitchen has all food and kitchen stuff and overflow goes above the cab. We even have a Nespresso (the coffee sleeves fit perfectly in the thin drawer above the fridge). The van has just the right amount of space for two.
YES, I know Boston.... rabbit warren streets all on the spokes of a wheel.... BUT...it's a wonderful city.... culture wise..... it's really hard to beat .....

Where do you store your rig in the Winter? It's definitely not something you want to leave outside.... Boston is "rust central"......

Yeah, our 23 ( actually 22 foot 9 inch) model doesn't have a Continental wheel in the back and the spare is under the coach...

I like the interior and exterior space and couldn't imagine anything smaller.... We have the bike rack on the back for being able to dash off somewhere close by without driving the rig.

I didn't know that Gulf Stream made a Class B? Guess I'll have to look that up.... just curious what that looks like.....

Works for us.

Good luck. Are you any closer to buying one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190521_155156.jpg (386.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113702.jpg (221.7 KB, 5 views)