Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #81
Platinum Member

I seem to be seeing, mostly single rear wheel, transits all over the place around here in Minnesota. I think the trades guys are finally moving away from their old E150 Fords to them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Default Inline 5 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I seem to be seeing, mostly single rear wheel, transits all over the place around here in Minnesota. I think the trades guys are finally moving away from their old E150 Fords to them.
I test drove a Winnebago Fuse on the Ford Transit 350 chassis with the dual wheels...
The inline FIVE cylinder diesel is a 3.2 powerplant..... supposed to have more torque than the Mercedes... but, I think the horsepower is a little lower....

It's not BAD... but, felt a little less refined and not as repsonsive as the 3.0 V6 Mercedes...

I kinda prefer the dual wheels for stability.... just me...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Default All Electric Sprinters; didn't think they were coming to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The equation is a bit different for fleets. Except for the emissions issues, these are truly great vans and diesel has been the only available option for a long time. Moreover, the range of issues, although very severe is also very narrow. It is quite possible to get good at keeping them running. With a stock of sensors and a Star Diagnostics subscription, it isn't rocket science. The problem is if you are an RVer half way across the country, completely dependent on a single vehicle, and at the mercy of a single, randomly-selected Mercedes dealer who may or may not be sympathetic to the impact on your vacation.

It will be interested to see how the fleet market responds to the availability of gas-fueled Sprinters. Maybe they will jump on it. Maybe they will cling to the devil they know. Maybe they will quickly migrate to the all-electric platforms that will soon be totally practical for short-haul delivery use.

We'll see.
Maybe later... once they are proven..

Short distance only....

Gas turbo?? Better have a lot of torque.. the dual wheels 3500 is a lot of weight...

We'll see..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #84
Platinum Member

The new Silverado engine shown in BBQ's video is a 4 cylinder 2.7L that is said to have:

310hp

348ft-lb torque

More than in both cases than the 3.0 MB diesel.

We haven't seen a torque curve yet, so don't know where the power band is, though, but to get 310hp at 348 ft-lb of torque would require about 4675rpm. That is similar to what a lot of the normally aspirated gas engines run for hp max rpm, so it very likely they tuned the system to closely match the V8 and V6 engines to they feel the same to buyers used to that driving feel.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #85
Bud
Platinum Member

"The new Silverado engine shown in BBQ's video is a 4 cylinder 2.7L that is said to have:
310hp
348ft-lb torque
More than in both cases than the 3.0 MB diesel."

Way more hp (work) than a sprinter.

"We haven't seen a torque curve yet, so don't know where the power band is, though, but to get 310hp at 348 ft-lb of torque would require about 4675rpm."

Yes, and probably will beat the ford in mpg.

It seems that so much is coming concerning gas described well by you and others booster. But even 'right now', I'm thinking that maybe 'def' is a 'life support system' for a diesel.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:43 AM   #86
Platinum Member

According to their specs, the Ford Transit's 3.5 L twin turbo makes 310 HP and 400 ft-lbs Torque.

I have the 3.7 L non-turbo, which Ford says will make 275 HP and 260 ft-lbs torque. It is a respectable engine and propels my 9,000 lbs loaded van very well. I get a pretty consistent 16 MPG average - with a mix of mountains, freeways, back roads, desert winds, and stop and go.

The Ecoboost twin turbo is pretty amazing. Folks with the Paseo say it gets around 15 MPG.

Both the Crossfit and Paseo are on the extended high-top van with dual rear wheels.

I see occasional problems related to the turbos on the FordTransitUSAforum, but not a lot compared to the Sprinter forums. Possibly because the Transit has only been available in the US for a few years so there just aren't as many on the road yet. So far, no one on the Paseo or Crossfit Facebook groups have reported engine troubles. I might speculate that in both Sprinter and Ford, the issues will tend to be within the fleet versions where the drivers aren't the owners.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Default Bosch wants to stop debate about demise of diesel

Just saw this in MOTOR newsletter:

“Bosch wants to put a stop, once and for all, to the debate about the demise of diesel technology,” announced Bosch CEO Dr. Volkmar Denner, during his address at the company’s annual press conference.

Link to source:
MOTOR Magazine | eNewsletter | NOx Knockout | New Bosch Technology Already Meets 2020 Emissions Standards Cameras and Tire Sensors Detect and Manage Imminent Hydroplaning

Enjoy,
- - Mike
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just saw this in MOTOR newsletter:

“Bosch wants to put a stop, once and for all, to the debate about the demise of diesel technology,” announced Bosch CEO Dr. Volkmar Denner, during his address at the company’s annual press conference.

Link to source:
MOTOR Magazine | eNewsletter | NOx Knockout | New Bosch Technology Already Meets 2020 Emissions Standards Cameras and Tire Sensors Detect and Manage Imminent Hydroplaning

Enjoy,
- - Mike
“Bosch’s new diesel system is based on components that are already available in the market. It is available to customers effective immediately and can be incorporated into production projects.”

This is a good reality check.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Are those currently available components the ones that cheat the emissions tests?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #90
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
are those currently available components the ones that cheat the emissions tests?:d

:d :d :d

l o l
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:40 AM   #91
Platinum Member

I still have difficulties understanding how a large corporation would resort to that level of dishonesty, yes, this cheating technology exists today and it was not much technology, just existing or added sensor(s) in the steering system. Switching to correct emission while steering wheel was not moving, meant a car was on the test station, was the key technology. Audi CEO was arrested recently so this cheating permeated many in the VW company.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #92
BBQ
Platinum Member

The problem lies not only with VW and Audi.

The word on the street is that the EPA made a deal with a certain manufacturer(s)... if they withdraw their current engines, EPA will not investigate any further.

Well... your guess is as good as mine.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 AM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The problem lies not only with VW and Audi.

The word on the street is that the EPA made a deal with a certain manufacturer(s)... if they withdraw their current engines, EPA will not investigate any further.

Well... your guess is as good as mine.
If this indeed is the case certain would be primely MB, but also Chrysler and GM. I am not aware of any other diesels except full size trucks.