Old 05-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
https://www.mercedeshoffman.com/abou...inter-history/

Since 2010 Mercedes Benz is again exclusively selling the Sprinter...no more affiliated with Dodge..

Whether it's a Dodge or Mercedes.... there's a lot of history to the commercial vehicle market and the Sprinter is no exception... it's certainly one of the roomiest vehicles out there for conversions.

The diesel application in the vehicle for an 11,000 plus, one ton truck is really amazing.
I tell people to purchase one used... it's crazy to get one new... solid base engine....
Freightliner still sells Sprinters under there own brand and while only a few of the Freightliner dealers handle the Sprinter, they are a very good location for service since they tend to have lower prices for service and genuine parts than you get at the Mercedes dealers. Donuts and coffee in the waiting room instead of pastries and espresso with a less elite set of customers usually fleets or tradesmen...

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
Platinum Member

My nearest Freightliner dealer has Lay-Z-boy loungers in the waiting room.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
My nearest Freightliner dealer has Lay-Z-boy loungers in the waiting room.
You usually find a few truckers sleeping in the waiting room at a Freightliner dealer waiting for their semi trucks to get serviced. I had our Sprinter in the dealer in Tampa last week and got to hear the life stories of a couple of truckers in for service...

Our Freightliner Sprinter dealer in Michigan only sells Sprinters and Thomas School Buses so we don’t get the semi truck drivers in there, only tradesmen and school bus drivers...
Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #24
Site Team

Freightliner is probably statistically cheaper than MB on service, but I have encountered significant exceptions, so best to call ahead.

OTOH, one BIG advantage of Freightliner is that they often have a "no appointment/first-come-first-served" model, which can be a big advantage when you have an issue when on the road. Get up early and you can be in-and-out.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Our Freightliner Sprinter dealer in Michigan only sells Sprinters and Thomas School Buses so we don’t get the semi truck drivers in there, only tradesmen and school bus drivers...
Does that happen to be Hoekstra’s in Grand Rapids?
They helped us out during a "limp-home" emissions crisis. They are the best.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Does that happen to be Hoekstra’s in Grand Rapids?
They helped us out during a "limp-home" emissions crisis. They are the best.
Yes, two Michigan locations in Grand Rapids and in Troy, a northern suburb of Detroit, where we have our RT Freightliner Sprinter serviced. Expert techs with experience from before any other dealers sold Sprinters in the US. Great prices on service and parts. They are the best Sprinter service locations that I ever found.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
You usually find a few truckers sleeping in the waiting room at a Freightliner dealer waiting for their semi trucks to get serviced. I had our Sprinter in the dealer in Tampa last week and got to hear the life stories of a couple of truckers in for service...

The Freightliner Sprinter dealer in Annapolis, where I get mine serviced is also a bus dealer. I seldom see anyone waiting the few times I've waited. They service a lot of Sprinters from all over the Wash D.C. area. Just bad coffee and a vending machine in the lounge, which is also the employee lounge. But they have a couple of Lazy-Boy recliners and a lunch table with chairs. Freightliner has been selling Sprinters in USA since 2001. A few skilled Sprinter mechanics I've met in the past at a MB dealer came from Freightliner Sprinter dealers.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
Platinum Member

The Freightliner dealer in Austin is excellent. So is the Georgetown Mercedes place. Of all places to have a Sprinter, where I live is probably one of the best outside of Germany.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 05-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Nice video. I know engine designers have been working on #2 for several decades with clever chamber design, but at some level it probably persists. And the bottom and stroke and turbo arguments are really design decisions. But an interesting video.

Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote