Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Rationalizing is invariably an amazing exercise. It boils down to this regardless: If you really want one, buy one. Then you can rationally offer all your reasons for having one.

We bought what we have because we wanted a camper van, and found a vehicle that ticked the boxes for us, including the economics of ownership and operation, driveway parking, and general utility for daily use as a personal vehicle. It helps that service and repairs/parts availability are universal and relatively inexpensive, not to mention insurance. What are your boxes to check? (There are no wrong answers.)

Either way, have fun!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 AM   #22

We own a Airstream Interstate and it’s absolutely cheaper to rent. But we use it regularly and I do the maintenance and repairs (once the warranty done).

With all that said, we would do it again.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #23
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Do they even rent Class B’s? I see lots of Cruise America Class C’s and a few of the Jucy micro-B’s (Dodge Caravans), but no Class B’s (that are recognizably rentals, anyway).

Thinking there may be a few units on the owner rental site- forgot the name, like AirBnB for RV’s... but very limited.

So rent vs. own is not really apples-to-apples if your preferred style involves a Class B.

Still, renting, even if it’s a different style of RV, makes a lot of sense if you’re jumping in for the first time.
You can rent them nationwide at this website (similar to AirBNB or VRBO):

https://rvshare.com/

Pick the state and filter for Class B's. I'm in Texas and there are quite a few available here.

Personally, I wouldn't rent mine out for fear of excessive wear and tear, but if you check out the prices and the availability on some of the vans, it seems like some of the owners are making serious money.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Default We do exactly the same thing you do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielewilderman View Post
I’ve read all the posts in response to your question. Didn’t see one very important factor, at least for my wife and me. We keep our Roadtrek fully stocked with everything needed for a four day weekend (except for perishable food). Makes every weekend or short notice trip so easy, and if the trip unexpectedly turns out to be longer, it is usually easy to buy more food and/or do laundry along the way. Can’t do that with a rental.
Our RS Adventurous is always ready to go... I keep it fueled up and full propane tank or at least try to.

This is our "emergency vehicle", especially since we live in Los Angeles. We remember the 1994 Earthquake....it was a spectacular event... And, in case of a necessary evacuation, the motor home would be our first line of defense if our primary residence were unihabitatable.

You are absolutely right... can't do that with a rental.... and we keep an extra set of clothes and stuff on board... except perishable food.... you can purchase that on the road.

Hope we never have to do that, but, glad it's an option.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 AM   #25
Platinum Member

The quote above of $525 per day for renting means we will recover the full purchase price of our van in less than 5 years. We've owned it for 18 months, and are on track to average 40 nights per year. We're not even retired yet, and I expect that number to go up a lot when we do (still 3-5 years out). Bought new, and I expect to own this rig at least 10 years, more likely 15.

Yeah, I know I'm simplifying, not taking into account potential earnings if we had invested the money that went into the van, and not accounting for maintenance costs either (which so far have been very small, since we are still under the Ford warranty).

Pretty much all forms of recreation cost money. I remember about 35 years ago when I graduated from college and got my first real professional job, a coworker told me "It costs $100 per day to have fun." With inflation, I'd guess that number is at least $300 nowadays. When you buy an RV, your just paying that up front for future years of fun...
Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #26
Site Team

One thing I have always wondered about renting:

What is the standard response when a customer calls you from the middle of nowhere with a "n-starts remaining" message or limp mode, on their console? Do you arrange for a tow? Do you find a replacement rig? Or is the renter on their own?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

What is the standard response when a customer calls you from the middle of nowhere with a "n-starts remaining" message or limp mode, on their console? Do you arrange for a tow? Do you find a replacement rig? Or is the renter on their own?
The rental site, RV Share, handles all that. They provide roadside assistance etc. however, in my experience with two rentals to date, both owners were readily available to answer any questions that came up while we were renting their vehicle.
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Easy answer... Communication is priority ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

Well.... first things first... you tell them it's a possibility that a CEL, limp mode or countdown might happen...

Next, you give them an escape route via Coach Net which will take them as far as they need to go to a qualified Mercedes Benz dealership..... and you pay for it....

It's your RV and your responsibility....no matter what happens.... you might even have to put them up in a hotel..... that's why you're getting the daily rental.....

It's a huge responsibility..... you don't leave them stranded.

Finally and this is a big one... you better hope they are able to call for service.....if they are out of cell phone range.....

My advice is don't rent.....too many variables.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote