Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
Silver Member

Default Re: It may be new tire time......

I have always liked BF Goodrich tires and have used them for years. They are quiet, ride nice reasonable priced and last a long time. I always get at least 50.000 miles out of them on a 4x4 Suburban. Don't like to run tires much longer than that anyway. Not sure what size you can go to but I deal with a custom shop and he knows exactly what will fit where.
Pete

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If I might ask, where is your custom shop located?
I'm in the Niagara area of Ontario, Canada.
Might be worth my time to go for a drive sometime.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:58 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
[He said the better choice if you want to plus size a bit on your tires would be a slightly taller
LT235/85R16E as it fits the stock rim, and won't stress the engine (5.7L) or the brakes.
If it will fit and if you are only looking for an increase in tire diameter that sounds like the way to go. It has the same load capacity and it might even ride better because of the taller sidewall.

Lots of things to look at when you go up in wheel/tire size.
Not only do you have to buy new wheels that fit the tires, but they have to be the right combination of width and offset so they are not going to rub under any conditions.
A 17 or 18 inch tire would have to have a lower sidewall height , 70 or 65, so it is not too tall. Then it will not ride as good.
If it has a higher load carrying capacity it will have stiffer sidewalls and ride even harder unless you run less air pressure. Lower air pressure usually means lower MPG.
If it is wider it will have more drag and also affect MPG's. Same with the maybe extra weight of the tire/wheel combination.
A larger diameter tire/wheel will lower RPM's but too much could make the engine have to work harder also
lowering MPG's.
You can buy a programmer and reprogram the computer to correct the speedometer/odometer and increase the HP and Torque but from what I have seen that increase only comes at WOT, not at cruising speed where it might help mileage.
Just some things to think about if you haven't already.
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input. It all helps. I may just stay with the OEM sizing, but I plan to get a set
in the USA next time we're down there. A set of 4 BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's are C$986
out the door pricing, at Costco in Canada.
I'm sure I can get the same tires cheaper, even with the exchange rate, down south.
Mike.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
If I stay in the US for 7 days, I can import $750 duty free, and so can my wife.
I am not suggesting anything but if you drive into the US with four tires on the Van and drive home with four tires on the Van how would anyone know if you bought anything? Just curious how it works.
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If I might ask, where is your custom shop located?
I'm in the Niagara area of Ontario, Canada.
Might be worth my time to go for a drive sometime.
Mike,
The shop I deal with is in Prospect Park just outside of Philadelphia. He does 4x4 trucks and vans. I am sure there are similar shops near you. Usually they are more knowledgeable about these kind of things.
Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Thanks Pete, there probably are, I just don't know which ones to trust, after I've run into
some pretty dumb people at some "specialty shops" recently. Sorta puts you off the experts
if you know what I mean.
Still, I'll check around.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI
Quote:
If I stay in the US for 7 days, I can import $750 duty free, and so can my wife.
I am not suggesting anything but if you drive into the US with four tires on the Van and drive home with four tires on the Van how would anyone know if you bought anything? Just curious how it works.
It doesn't work too well if they notice, and ask about your shiny new tires.
I know what you're saying, and it would probably be deemed a fluke if they did stop you and ask,
and then pursue it or challenge you. I believe the burden of proof would be on you to prove you
didn't buy them in the USA. I suppose you could say you forgot, or didn't think they counted because
you needed them to continue your travels, or something like that. It might work.

I don't know how much info they have on anyone visiting the US or Canada, or whether
things like debit or credit card transactions are tracked, or even large cash withdrawls,
because the card is foreign, and the amount is large, but they could be. If VISA or
MASTERCARD know who/what/where/how much, then it's reasonable (although some might
say a bit paranoid) to assume the info is out there somewhere in cyberspace,
and who besides them might have, or require, access to it? Even the IRS might have access,
I don't know.
Bottom line as I see it is, if you ever get caught smuggling (which is the official offense, I believe),
you'll be searched every time you enter or exit forever. That's if they let you back in.
So, as long as the totals don't exceed $750 per adult person, per 7 day stay, you're OK.
I'd rather pay a few dollars in duty, than have to deal with the consequences.
Besides, we already get searched enough because of the "cargo capacity" of our van!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Hi again,
I hate to wake up an old thread but here goes. We're probably heading south (US) again, beginning of March.
We never did replace the tires last summer, as they weren't quite as ready to replace as I first thought,
but now I think we are ready to go with new rubber.

My questions are to anyone who's ever bought replacement tires for their rig in the US of A.
Does anyone have any specific experience with tire purchases at any of the major places you can get better (?)
pricing, like Costco, Walmart, or Discount Tire? Anyone dealt with any of them and had negative experiences
with installations or warranty work? How much lead time do you need to get LT245 75R16E Michelins at a
particular location? We'd be buying them in the USA and paying the duty if applicable on our return.
I guess Discount Tire say they are OK with drive in purchases, but would they carry a good catalog of light
truck tires? We don't want to have to burn a day (or more) of our trip waiting for tires to be delivered if
they don't stock them. Are there any other outlets like Discount Tire that are everywhere down in the US?
Does anyone know much about Costco or Walmart? We're Costco members up here, so I think that's also good in
the States, and I think Walmart would be good for cross border warranty work, if required.

As always, thanks for your help, thoughts, and recommendations,
Mike.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Well, after doing the usual amount of online research (beating it to death) and sending
emails all over the continent, I'm down to Michelin LTX M/S or LTX A/T 2 tires.
Anyone tried either of these models and what experiences have you gained?
I'm leaning towards the slightly more aggressive tread patterned AT2. I can probably
live with a bit more road noise, and a slightly harder ride, to get a better tire for
slogging through an occasionally mucky or rocky campground or roadway.

Any opinions?

btw,
Discount Tire has an out the door price of US$940 for 4 A/T2 tires in Jacksonville, FL.
Canadian Tire wanted C$1250 for 4 LTX M/S out the door, and KalTire wanted about
the same for 4 of the LTX A/T 2 tires.
I may have to NOT shop local.
Anyone ever dealt with Discount Tire? Pros, cons, warnings, praise?