Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Jack Reacher series of novels by Lee Child

I've read all the books in the Jack Reacher series of novels by Lee Child except for the most recent one. I've enjoyed the series so much I don't want to start the reading the last book because then the experience will be over (until Lee Child writes another). Jack Reacher is one tough dude - very strong sense of right and wrong. His only possessions are a bank card and a folding tooth brush. That's traveling light!

I felt that way when I was reading Dean Koontz and also F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series.

If you know of any similar series like Jack Reacher or Repairman Jack please let me know.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jack Reacher series of novels by Lee Child

I've read all the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I'm a bit disappointed to learn Tom Cruise is going to pay him in a movie. If you are looking for another character who could probably take Reacher on in toughness look no further than Vince Flynn's lead character, Mitch Rapp, a CIA assassin. Flynn has been writing mystery thrillers that actually foretold many real events.

If you want a blatant ripoff of Reacher, then check out David Baldacci's Zero Day with lead character, John Puller. Puller is a an active Army special investigator but the story line is very much like a Jack Reacher story. This could be the first of a series. Baldacci is a serial character writer. Given that you might like his series on "Oliver Stone" starting out with Stone Cold.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank Davydd - I'll try Vince Flynn novels.
I do like Baldacci's books also.

I was surprised to see Tom Cruise cast as Reacher. The Jack Reacher character is 6' 5", 50" chest, 250 lbs.............. a really big guy.......
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Anyone see the Jack Reacher movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
..........If you want a blatant ripoff of Reacher, then check out David Baldacci's Zero Day with lead character, John Puller
I recently enjoyed reading a book with the character John Puller. I didn't remember your comment at the time but that was my first thought also - this guy is a copy of Reacher in most ways. Still, a very good read if you've read the Reacher series and are looking for something similar as Davydd previously mentioned.

More recently I am hooked on the LAPD Detective Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I put the first book in the series down after a few chapters and moved on to another author. It seemed too "gritty" after the other fiction I had been reading. I tried it again and am glad I did. Very clever plots with twists by Michael Connelly.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Harry Bosch is more complex and flawed than most mystery fictional characters.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That is an excellent description of Hieronymus Bosch
Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I just saw the movie on Netflix and thought it was really good. Tom Cruise did great job. I hope they make movies from the other books in the series.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The movie was OK but Tom Cruise destroyed all credibility of the book's Jack Reacher character. It will be difficult to read a Jack Reacher novel without that oxymoron visual getting in the way.

Since my last post, Vince Flynn died of cancer at a very young age. I'm afraid there will be no more Mitch Rapp novels.

Last week I went over to St. Paul's Fitzgerald Theater best known as the home of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion National Public Radio show. Minnesota Public Radio sponsors a live interview with authors periodically and the author interviewed last week was Michael Connelly, the writer of the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) series. I'm currently reading The Brass Verdict, a Lincoln Lawyer novel where Mickey Haller meets Harry Bosch for the very first time. The interview was interesting. Amazon.com is making an original movie based on Harry Bosch and one of the novels. Michael Connelly, unlike Lee Child, is involved and had lead character approval. Harry Bosch will be played by Titus Willever. Never heard of him? You will probably recognize him. I think he fits.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes, Titus Willever would fit the image of Bosch that I imagine. He could look appropriately jaded. Bosch would be wearing a suit.

I just found some info here: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...20170379089410

---------------------------

Spoiler alert

This is the bathroom fight scene from the Reacher movie in a Youtube video. It's a tense moment in the film as the viewer knows the bad guys are on their way to the house so the resulting "non-fight" was hilarious. It was so unexpected in the movie.

[youtube:2611p8hl]9Pl32NIIhAo[/youtube:2611p8hl]
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Try the Aloysius Pendergast series by Preston and Child. Hint, though have a tablet handy when reading this to look up all of the obscure stuff that you are introduced to.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I'll check out the Pendergast series.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Davydd,

When you do, I suggest that you read them in order. I have read all of them except that new one. I am waiting for a special occasion to savor that final installment. Enjoy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysius_Pendergast
Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 AM   #13

If you have any interest in south florida....sanibel or captiva in particular,you might try
Randy Wayne white,s Doc Ford series..they are well researched and fun.
Quark
Quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I agree with Quark on the Randy Wayne White...but if you want to read the Grand Daddy of all of that Genre, you must read John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series. Some of his writing is almost poetic in nature (IMHO) such as

“...I do not function too well on emotional motivations. I am wary of them. And I am wary of a lot of other things, such as plastic credit cards, payroll deductions, insurance programs, retirement benefits, savings accounts, Green Stamps, time clocks, newspapers, mortgages, sermons, miracle fabrics, deodorants, check lists, time payments, political parties, lending libraries, television, actresses, junior chambers of commerce, pageants, progress, and manifest destiny.”
? John D. MacDonald, The Deep Blue Good-By

I have read each of the books in that series at least 5 times. Maybe I am a slow learner?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #15

I'll find the Travis McGee series , sounds like a good read. My only experience with the
Jack reacher series is the movie ,but sounds like the books are a upgrade! Usually the case.
I also read each book a number of times, could be I have issues as well.
Thanks ,Gordan
Quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Jack Reacher novels probably do not have to be read in order. It seems the author is all over the map with his facts. Reacher inherits a house in Virginia and there is no subsequent mention of it in later novels. That is one example.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I'm reading a new series that centers around South Padre Island, Texas I found in a local bookstore there. Right now there are four in a series that definitely should be read in order as it seems to be a continuing series in story plot. They are available as eBooks. Texas Ranger Jimmy Redstone teams up with SPI police officer Angella Martinez. They later join Homeland Security. The author is David Harry.

What I like about it is he liberally drops names of a lot of places in South Padre Island that I have been to after spending a total of 6 weeks there in the last two years.

The Padre Puzzle
The Padre Predator
The Padre Paranoia
The Padre Pandemic

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/44 ... avid_Harry