Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default James at Fit RV Tests Quiet Coleman AC

New alternative to consider: 60.8 db on high / 56.3db on low.

His video just out today.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Silver Member

Now I’m about ready to swap mine too.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Fourth new air conditioner swap out? They must be desperate in having to sleep that close to the air conditioner.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Interesting. Looks like Coleman part number 452038793. On-line information looks to be very scarce so far. Seems to be under $1K, though. Much cheaper than the "quiet" alternatives. Maybe we are getting some action by the manufacturers.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You'd think manufacturers would already have made their ac's as quiet as possible (excluding exotic technologies and their associated costs). A concern just occurred to me that I hope the new Coleman was developed purely on their own. I'd hate to read they infringed on any copyrights. But it just seems odd to me that all of a sudden they are achieving these significant improvements with quiet operation.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Team

I think our friend James was being a bit dramatic with the fork-lift bit. These units weight in at 85 pounds.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

They didn't have an easy time with the last one and maybe Steph drew the line. Plus, it is entertainment.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
They didn't have an easy time with the last one and maybe Steph drew the line. Plus, it is entertainment.
Agree, and is that TV?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default James at Fit RV Tests Quiet Coleman AC

I think I’d probably do same. I don’t think I could tote 85lbs up a ladder.

Well probably could if I didn’t have any other options, but if I do this same upgrade, I’ll have it delivered to work (where I could use our forklift) [emoji6]
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

There's a deal going on at some Travato meet-up. $750 installed.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Silver Member

That’s the one I had put in, startling difference in noise. Electrical draw, on high went from 1320W to 1152W, pretty good added benefit. Coleman isn’t selling the unit direct to users as a DIY yet, and seeing the astounding levels of incompetence that can be obtained by the public I can understand the caution. I have installed 3 roof top units, 2 by myself, and as I was sliding the unit up a long extension ladder and trying to position it over the hole I would have given an lot for a forklift.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
That’s the one I had put in, startling difference in noise. Electrical draw, on high went from 1320W to 1152W, pretty good added benefit. Coleman isn’t selling the unit direct to users as a DIY yet, and seeing the astounding levels of incompetence that can be obtained by the public I can understand the caution. I have installed 3 roof top units, 2 by myself, and as I was sliding the unit up a long extension ladder and trying to position it over the hole I would have given an lot for a forklift.
Thanks for the update and your review at http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post94477. Did you get yours before the general public due to being a dealer or having connections?

Quite an accomplishment to DIY a roof top ac. I had my 6'3" son in law help with my Coleman Mach 8 Plus install last year. Quieter than the old Coleman it replaced, mainly because it had a true low fan speed whereas the old unit just had high and higher. It also drew 1.5 amps less than the old unit. I hope the newer units have good longevity. Time will tell.

Great to know they are making units quieter and more efficient. My only question is what took them so long.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
Bronze Member

The Mach 8 a/c in our Travato was recently replaced with the new Mach 10 NDQ. It took the guy a about an hour to make the change, using a forklift, which really sped things up.

We use ours on “COOL AUTO LOW”, which allows the unit to operate like a home a/c…shutting off the fan and the compressor when the desired temp is reached. The digital readout is very nice as is the BT control.

The noise level improvement is amazing! Can now carry on a conversation at normal voice levels. And the exterior sound is hardly noticeable. Would definitely do it again!
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I hope they bring these improvements to the low profile models like the Mach 8. That's the only style I can use due to ac clearance issues specific to my AS Avenue.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We switched ours out last week at Airxcel in Wichita, Ks. It is MUCH quieter than the standard Mach 10.
Was told by the installer, (sales manager at Coleman Airxcel) that this will be Winnebago's new class B standard AC unit soon, not just Travatos. They are working up production for that now. Also it will be available to the aftermarket later this summer at around $1500. installed.
If you currently have a Travato, you can contact Phil Goshen at Airxcel to get it installed in Wichita before mid July for $750. total. Appointment required. Takes about an hour total.
You can let them scrap your old one or take it with you to resell if you want

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Quite an accomplishment to DIY a roof top ac. .....
Yeah, not necessarily the safest endeavor. We DIY'd our solar panel array. Because of the way we built its 80-20 frame, we had to haul it onto the roof in one awkward piece, wires dangling and all. We used a blanket-wrapped extension ladder as a "skidway" to slide it up, but it was dicey. If we ever had to do this again, I would look into hiring someone.

You can see the panels on the driveway to the left in this photo. I guess if someone absolutely HAD to DIY their a/c, a similar approach could be used.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
We switched ours out last week at Airxcel in Wichita, Ks. It is MUCH quieter than the standard Mach 10.
Was told by the installer, (sales manager at Coleman Airxcel) that this will be Winnebago's new class B standard AC unit soon, not just Travatos. They are working up production for that now. Also it will be available to the aftermarket later this summer at around $1500. installed.
If you currently have a Travato, you can contact Phil Goshen at Airxcel to get it installed in Wichita before mid July for $750. total. Appointment required. Takes about an hour total.
You can let them scrap your old one or take it with you to resell if you want
$750 installed! You got a terrific deal. Even $1500 is a decent price.

Looks like Advanced RV won't be selling many of their upgraded quiet a/c's since the competition has just about caught up at half the cost.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
quiet a/c's since the competition has just about caught up at half the cost.

This is a very encouraging trend.
Roadtrips Of Unusual Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
$750 installed! You got a terrific deal.
So, now we know roughly what the wholesale price is.

I am guessing that availability is currently limited, and so they are all going to "special" customers. Almost certainly, we will eventually see street prices well below $1k.

This is good.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #20

Default Coleman Mach8plus

Quote:
Thanks for the update and your review at http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post94477. Did you get yours before the general public due to being a dealer or having connections?

Quite an accomplishment to DIY a roof top ac. I had my 6'3" son in law help with my Coleman Mach 8 Plus install last year. Quieter than the old Coleman it replaced, mainly because it had a true low fan speed whereas the old unit just had high and higher. It also drew 1.5 amps less than the old unit. I hope the newer units have good longevity. Time will tell.

Great to know they are making units quieter and more efficient. My only question is what took them so long.
How is your Mach8 Plus holding up? I'm debating Mach8 Plus or more Expensive Houghton.
Byu2 is offline   Reply With Quote