Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Just bought a 1994 Ford Coachmen 4-1-2011

Hi All, Some 3 weeks ago I got a sudden impulse to buy an RV and hit the road. After intense on line research, I focused on class B RV's as being most suitable for me and my dog. My other criteria: less than $20K, less than 21', preferably less than 90K miles and less than 250 miles from my location near Santa Barbara, CA. Even in this highly populated region, selections were few. Initially I was attracted to the Roadtrek, but these were somewhat rare and expensive. I almost looked at a fairly nice Coach House. I considered the Toyota and VW Mini Winnies, but felt they might be underpowered, though economical. Then I noticed the 1990'a era Coachmen, Intervec, Falcon, etc. style RV's and they were appealing. I found Craig's list to be a good shopping tool and on Weds or Thurs I spied a recent listing for a 1994 Ford Coachmen in Riverside, CA; asking $12.5K and less than 50K miles. So I called the gentleman, got $12.5 in cash from the bank and drove out to his house on Friday, 4-1. Mind you, this was the first and only RV I looked at in recent years. The man was some 40 years old, lived in a nice house in a decent part of Riverside. The car was in the drive way and looked as good as advertised. Very complete with tow package, Onan 2.8 generator, two A/C's, flush toilet, shower, hot and cold yadayada. I drove it around a bit and decided to make an offer..the hard part of any negotiation. I hoped I wouldn't offend with a low ball offer of 10K, in cold cash, then and there. He was a little taken aback and asked me if I had cash on me and I said I did, right there in the car. So, he said, let me ask my wife. I thought maybe the deal killer, but he came back and asked it I'd add another $500, which I gladly did. Then, to make a perfect day, I offered the man another $100 to drive the car back to SB so I wouldn't have to come back for it. Then his wife offered to follow, so I didn't even have to drive him back home. For this I paid for their gas and $150 and was so grateful they did it. This is a long post I hope not too boring. I took a video today of the unit and posted it on youtube:
skcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Just bought a 1994 Ford Coachmen 4-1-2011

Neat, I have a '94 Coachmen as well, but not quite twins. Mine is a burgundy/rose sort of color where yours is teal. Otherwise, our cabinets and all match up. It looks like yours is missing the front part to extend the top into a bed. It's actually a larger bed but the headroom and getting up there make it a little less inviting! I like having the option, though if I want to have others come along. You can see some pics of mine from last year (including how the top bed makes out):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksda...7624199985293/

I will have to try to get some new pics at some point. Some of the changes I've made you wouldn't see, like replacing the converter with a newer style charger, but I also put down linoleum in place of the carpet in the camper part and I re-did the running boards/fender flares (the only part of the body on mine that was showing its age).

I really like the style of these, nice to see someone else with one! Enjoy it!
tismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Cool, thanks for comment Tismark!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Class B Forum. Nice looking rig.

The upper bunk can become a nice storage area, with the addition of a frame and doors (and about 400 other ideas too ).

Have fun with it.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

welcome, While I also have a 94/95 Coachman mine is a Dodge. They called my model a Saratoga. I also have about 50,000 miles.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the storage tip Welcome to the Class B Forum. Nice looking rig.

The upper bunk can become a nice storage area, with the addition of a frame and doors (and about 400 other ideas too ).

Have fun with it.[/quote]
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismark
Neat, I have a '94 Coachmen as well, but not quite twins. Mine is a burgundy/rose sort of color where yours is teal. Otherwise, our cabinets and all match up. It looks like yours is missing the front part to extend the top into a bed. It's actually a larger bed but the headroom and getting up there make it a little less inviting! I like having the option, though if I want to have others come along. You can see some pics of mine from last year (including how the top bed makes out):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksda...7624199985293/

I will have to try to get some new pics at some point. Some of the changes I've made you wouldn't see, like replacing the converter with a newer style charger, but I also put down linoleum in place of the carpet in the camper part and I re-did the running boards/fender flares (the only part of the body on mine that was showing its age).

I really like the style of these, nice to see someone else with one! Enjoy it!
Hi, I finally got around to looking at your pix, with attention to the upper bunk. I really don't like having to make the lower bed up each AM. As you know, I'm missing the sliding part, but think I can simply use a 2.5 to 3 foot wide by 4'11" long by 1 inch thick sheet of plywood to pull into place. Instead of the two mattresses, maybe just use a 4 foot wide by 6 foot long by a couple inch thick mat that I can fold over. I'm sure this will have drawbacks too, but maybe easier to stow away in the AM without having to tear up and refold the bedding (quite as much). Thank for posting the pix. You've got a great looking rig. I like the color.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Hello - we have a 1993 Eldorado by Honorbuilt Industries on a Ford E-250 chassis - the pullout part of our upper bed was also missing - as my husband was cutting the board to complete the bed, I suggested putting two cabinet-type hinges so that the pullout part of the bed could be raised up toward the ceiling - he got two medal rods to support the end of this part of the bed and it is perfect - the bed stays made and basically 'out of sight' and there is plenty of walk-around room, since the bed is 'lifted' and is out of the way - i'll try to get a photo up tomorrow - coni
rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

forgot to mention that we bought one of those queen-sized memory mattresses - makes for wonderful sleeping - it's a little thicker, so there is about an inch less ceiling room, but the comfort is worth it...
rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Silver Member

Congratulations on your new find. I can see you enjoying many happy nights in your rig. Happy travels.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizit
Congratulations on your new find. I can see you enjoying many happy nights in your rig. Happy travels.
Thanks, I just got back from a 4 nighter in Huntington Beach, Long Beach urban environment. Yakima bike rack to carry road bike outside. Getting it dialed in.... all went very well!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Hi, here's an update video for y'all. I mention the things that broke over the years. Quite a list, but not out of the ordinary for an old vehicle, now with about 85K miles. It's at the shop now... and the starting problem has been confirmed: a defective engine control module (on firewall, drivers side). It's going to be replaced for a modest charge/maybe $400 give or take. I'm not using it much anymore, but consider it a modest investment for bug out potential if/when the shtf. NOW, presenting (drumroll) the video: