Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I don't consider my laptop as something "disposable"

Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

WhiskeyEcho, I don't think Mike picked up on your Microsoft Streets & Trips purpose for using a laptop on the road.

I have a backup laptop that I have considered at times to strip down of documents and critical data and use on the road. However, it seems I need, want, desire, to have all my computer information at my disposal. That's a quandary for me.

What probably could suffice for me is an iPhone. It would probably do everything I need on the road but I am with Verizon Wireless right now and not AT&T. I could get an iPod Touch since I rarely use a phone more than 15 minutes a month but then I would be limited to WiFi only access same as a laptop. The iPod iTouch and iPhone have the best handheld browsers on the market and would be the only ones that would still let me access my own created web sites.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hi again,
Actually, I did pick up on the laptop/GPS mapping and the occasional location emails purpose. The "disposable" reference was metaphorical and not intended to offend.

If we had more service providers in Canada, and better voice/data rates, I'd probably consider some sort of smart-phone myself. They do look like the total package for everything you'd need for travelling.
However, up here, Rogers has the monopoly on I-Phone access (like AT&T for you?) and the price per month is just too high. Add cross border access and the bills would probably bust me. Although I'd have an immense amount of fun going broke, I'm sure.
I was going to back up my personal files to flash drive, and then wipe them before departure, as I like to have as much of my laptop with me as
possible too. It is a quandry, as you say, but there are enough things you can do to minimize the risk of hacks and identity theft. So I'm good with that, as is.
So I'll just have to use free wifi hotspots and Mapquest for my online road trip planning. Someone on here has a post closing of "always frugal, never cheap" I think, so I guess I'm a believer of that mantra as well.

Mike.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #14
Platinum Member

An inexpensive GPS will give you more bang for your buck than hunting out WiFi hotspots and mapping with Mapquest on the road. Mapquest and Google Maps are fine for pre-planning but once on the road those GPSes do a remarkable job with a tremendous amount of information. I can't imagine traveling anymore without Dory. That's what we named her. She sometimes gets confused just like the fish in Finding Nemo.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #15
Platinum Member

"WhiskeyEcho, I don't think Mike picked up on your Microsoft Streets & Trips purpose for using a laptop on the road.."

I had an old Compaq laptop upon which I installed MS S&T '06 and DeLorme SA '05 - it was perfect for vehicular navigation - a 13' well matted display. Trouble was it was running Win 98 and didn't have a DVD drive - I wanted to upgrade the MS program to '08 - couldn't.

Looked a long time for a new laptop with matted display (hard to find) but finally found a Toshiba Satellite - 14" instead of 13" but that's "ok".

It's my dedicated navigation platform (that was the only purpose for it's purchase - tho I sometimes down load trip pics and do an occasional on-the-road e-mail). I could care less about "security" with that machine.

We've got 2 desktops and 3 other laptops for use at home - our at-home network is well secured.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I actually considered something like a GPS after looking into laptop versions (the Garmins seem to get good reviews as far as GPS systems go), but I can't justify another new toy, no matter how inexpensive.
I had to sell my soul just to buy the RT.
I think we'll try a couple of trips on the navigational cheap, then see if GPS would be worth a second look. Sometimes it's fun to be lost?
Thanks for the suggestion, though. What is DORY? Make/model? (just in case).

Mike
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Sounds like a nice road and home setup. Too bad you had to upgrade to get the CD/DVD drive for S&T '08. The old Compaq sounded perfect for previous versions. Typical Microsoft marketing strategy.

Mike.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #18
Platinum Member

We're getting off topic (KOA wifi)

Mike - I have pretty much the same Garmin as Davydd if I recall correctly. It is a great device to have. It's pre-loaded with restaurants, shopping, auto services, transportation points of interest. It shows them by distance and indicates whether they are ahead or behind you. Very handy. On sale for $150 - it was money well spent. I use it quite a bit as a speedometer - you can display MPH when you are in the U.S. and KPH in Canada.

Now - how to get this thread back on topic......

How's this:

from CNN

Seven online-security blunders to avoid

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/08/2 ... index.html

and some good info in this thread:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=762

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote