Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default La Mesa, Port St Lucie, FL

So, to bring everyone up to date on my experience with La Mesa in Port St Lucie, FL.
They had a very interesting 2016 210P with 18,000+ miles on it.. A long scratch on the passenger side probably from a curb. Some stains on the interior soft sides from spills and neglect. I don't think they were from leaks. No significant options other than the Onan. Shower hose had never been hooked up.. The 3rd seat had been taken out and the seat hardware was missing. The original owner had built his own armoire and it was ugly. The window and backdoor screens were missing and the TV was gone. 71 hours on the generator. NO MAINTENANCE RECORDS..
They've had the unit since early May, and just dropped the price from 99,000 to 79,999. I offered 78k. and insisted on a certified inspection with fluid analysis.. I had an NRVIA inspector lined up for Tuesday.
The sales manager refused to reserve the unit for an inspection. He wouldn't "take it off the market" for the 7 days until the fluid analysis can back. Regardless of the fact he could still show the unit as a pending sale.
Sales person was very nice, and spent a bunch of time gooing over the unit with me. i wouldn't hesitate to recommend her. Jessie Wilson.
So i said to the sales manager, "sometimes you just can't get from point A to point B" and left... As much as i'm jonesing for an RV, i feel good about turning him down.
The search continues.......
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #2
Platinum Member

With the lack of records and some odd missing items/stains etc., I think you did good insisting on some time to check it out.

Too bad the sales manager didn't take your offer (which was nearly their asking price on a unit they've had a long time).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Pictures look decent. With the Chevy Express warranty still in effect, you should be covered there by GM. You may want to find out the remaining Roadtrek warranty and see if it is transferable. Would that make a difference (along with the inspector) in easing your mind.

Not trying to talk you back into it. Just wondering if the sales manager screwed up by thinking you were stalling and somehow not serious on your offer. I'm really surprised that the sales guy didn't come running after you when you started to walk away.

About the only negative thing I've heard on the 210P's is they don't have a lot of load capacity left being as they are longer and wider than the 190P which I believe rides on the same 3500 chassis. But if you're not loading up 5 people and a lot of gear, maybe that won't matter.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Rowiebowie,

I believe the warranties are still in effect... The sales manager knew i was serious, it was an all cash offer & i already had an NRVIA inspector lined up for tuesday.

But, my personality doesn't do blind man's bluff..

The load capacity of a 210 versus 190 has been a consideration, but i'm mostly going to be traveling alone, and i plan on towing a 4x6 cargo trailer for all my bread baking (which i do at music festivals) and other extras for long trips... canopies, honda quiet 3000 generator, etc...

Everyone needs to bring something to the party and you don't want to see me near a guitar!!
So, i bring bread...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

if they would have allowed the inspector, i was ready to sign... I'm sure we could have bridged the 2,000 gap between asked and offered.. they've had the damn thing since may...

I'm still interested in the unit... I'm going to send a email to the sales person who was very accommodating, telling her i'm still interested, but the inspection portion is non-negotiable...

If they need to fill out september's quota in a month, then they may come back to me.. if they do, and I'm still in the market, then we'll talk...

I think the inspection was a bigger deal to them then the 2k...

the dealer's service center reviews are awful... i wouldn't want them doing any repairs anyway.. I live right near sunshine state RV, a 5 star (based on reviews) roadtrek dealer... any issues would be a $$$ adjustment, and i think that's their hangup..
Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
Platinum Member

and the sales person (jennie wilson) did say hold on, hang on for a few minutes and let me talk to the sales mgr... I didn't ask her to, she volunteered, seeing as how i was on my way out...

but, she didn't have any luck either..
Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
. . .

I'm still interested in the unit... I'm going to send a email to the sales person who was very accommodating, telling her i'm still interested, but the inspection portion is non-negotiable...

. . .
You think they are stupid because they won't budge on $2k?

The sales manager is a pro; he can read your mind like the back of his hand.

He was telling Jessie Wilson as you were leaving -- "He'll be back".

He did not become the "manager" by accident.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm thinking there's a reason they don't want an independent inspection--like knowing it won't pass. The obvious neglect and lack of service records are serious red flags.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You think they are stupid because they won't budge on $2k?

The sales manager is a pro; he can read your mind like the back of his hand.

He was telling Jessie Wilson as you were leaving -- "He'll be back".

He did not become the "manager" by accident.
You're absolutely right...
Like i said, the 2k difference could be bridged..
except, he's wrong...
there will be lots of units out there...
Without an inspection, i wouldn't even buy NEW unit...
But that's just me....
They had this unit since may....
In this market, that means either or both 1. overpriced and 2. significant issues..
Old 09-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right...
Like i said, the 2k difference could be bridged..
except, he's wrong...
there will be lots of units out there...
Without an inspection, i wouldn't even buy NEW unit...
But that's just me....
They had this unit since may....
In this market, that means either or both 1. overpriced and 2. significant issues..
You are smart for insisting on an inspection.

Like MsNomer said . . . red flags.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I'm thinking there's a reason they don't want an independent inspection--like knowing it won't pass. The obvious neglect and lack of service records are serious red flags.

OR, sometimes it is best not to know, to know when not to want to know. Additionally, it will be in writing.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
OR, sometimes it is best not to know, to know when not to want to know. Additionally, it will be in writing.

Bud
Bud, I don't know a lot. Are you saying that's a good thing?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default The plot sickens...

I got this message from someone on facebook, where we're discussing the same issue:

I have been talking and emailing Jessie back and forth for the last few weeks on this 210. Long story short I don't like the looks of the stains on the side wall, and Jessie also told me the owners manual that was in the over head above the drivers area was covered with mold. I also had made them an offer, but she then told me in our last conversation, that The manager said they were not going to sell the 210 to an individual, as they think there maybe a lot of hidden problems and were going to sell it at auction. I am always willing to take a risk, as I can do all the repairs myself, but to far away to inspect. She was adamant that they would not sell it and were wholesaling it at auction. That was last Monday. So my search continues also.

I had significant doubts about La Mesa...
This more or less confirms them...
Old 09-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Bud, I don't know a lot. Are you saying that's a good thing?
I was speaking as though I was a dealer which was not necessarily clear, sorry.

If the dealer walked because of the inspection, I could think of scenarios where a dealer might not agree to an inspection, and it be ethical. I can think of other scenarios where it would be for unethical reasons. Or it was not agreed to because the dealer had already been telling Lies. There are folks out there that don't just shoot HD videos of the police. Now I am rambling......

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:

I get this message from someone on facebook, where we're discussing the same issue:

I have been talking and emailing Jessie back and forth for the last few weeks on this 210. Long story short I don't like the looks of the stains on the side wall, and Jessie also told me the owners manual that was in the over head above the drivers area was covered with mold. I also had made them an offer, but she then told me in our last conversation, that The manager said they were not going to sell the 210 to an individual, as they think there maybe a lot of hidden problems and were going to sell it at auction. I am always willing to take a risk, as I can do all the repairs myself, but to far away to inspect. She was adamant that they would not sell it and were wholesaling it at auction. That was last Monday. So my search continues also.

I had significant doubts about La Mesa...
This more or less confirms them...
On the contrary, I think this reflects well on LaMesa. If they sell this coach directly to you, they have the obligation to reveal any defects of which they are either aware or should reasonably be aware. But in an auction, prior to bidding, you have the opportunity to inspect the coach and most important to LaMesa, in an auction, since the coach is sold where-is, as-is, due diligence shifts entirely to you, the buyer. That seems eminently fair to me.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
On the contrary, I think this reflects well on LaMesa. If they sell this coach directly to you, they have the obligation to reveal any defects of which they are either aware or should reasonably be aware. But in an auction, prior to bidding, you have the opportunity to inspect the coach and most important to LaMesa, in an auction, since the coach is sold where-is, as-is, due diligence shifts entirely to you, the buyer. That seems eminently fair to me.
Cruising,

No, perhaps you misunderstood. they were trying to sell it to me directly.. and trying to convince me to do that without an inspection.

They had told the OTHER buyer who contacted me about selling it at an auction!!
Old 09-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cruising,

No, perhaps you misunderstood. they were trying to sell it to me directly.. and trying to convince me to do that without an inspection.

They had told the OTHER buyer who contacted me about selling it at an auction!!
My apologies, I certainly misunderstood the history. I wonder why they chose the different approaches for their respective targets?

If it's the 210 you are particularly interested in, IMO, you would do well to broaden your search in terms of years. In surfing RV Trader, there are quite a few 210s available, some of them at fairly low mileages. If you are ruling out 2016 and later lithium equipped versions, the interior floor plan has changed very little over the last ten years and you could do well looking at earlier years with the Chevy 6.0 V8 which I think arrived sometime around 2007-08. The reliability and relatively inexpensive service and maintenance costs of this engine is a fraction of what's being experienced with Sprinter diesels. Anything before 2016 has a propane refrigerator but if you want a compressor unit, Norcold provides a drop in replacement.

Whatever your course of action, it would be better to do it sooner than later. Word has it that Roadtrek has scheduled 50 210s for production, and get this: they have just increased the Base Price of the 210 MSRP about 16%. It won't happen right away but undoubtedly this will result in an increase in the market ask and offer for used units.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
My apologies, I certainly misunderstood the history. I wonder why they chose the different approaches for their respective targets?

If it's the 210 you are particularly interested in, IMO, you would do well to broaden your search in terms of years. In surfing RV Trader, there are quite a few 210s available, some of them at fairly low mileages. If you are ruling out 2016 and later lithium equipped versions, the interior floor plan has changed very little over the last ten years and you could do well looking at earlier years with the Chevy 6.0 V8 which I think arrived sometime around 2007-08. The reliability and relatively inexpensive service and maintenance costs of this engine is a fraction of what's being experienced with Sprinter diesels. Anything before 2016 has a propane refrigerator but if you want a compressor unit, Norcold provides a drop in replacement.

Whatever your course of action, it would be better to do it sooner than later. Word has it that Roadtrek has scheduled 50 210s for production, and get this: they have just increased the Base Price of the 210 MSRP about 16%. It won't happen right away but undoubtedly this will result in an increase in the market ask and offer for used units.
Cruising,
I've been looking for 2012 - 2015, and will consider 2010 & 11's. A number os the 10's that are out there only have the 4.8 engine, or only have the 4 speed transmisson. I'm also looking nationwide, although i really don't want to drive one back from the far west... (I'm in florida).

as far as the 2 different sales approaches, i'm local to the 2016 unit at la mesa, while the other buyer is from the midwest.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cruising,
I've been looking for 2012 - 2015, and will consider 2010 & 11's. A number os the 10's that are out there only have the 4.8 engine, or only have the 4 speed transmisson. I'm also looking nationwide, although i really don't want to drive one back from the far west... (I'm in florida).

as far as the 2 different sales approaches, i'm local to the 2016 unit at la mesa, while the other buyer is from the midwest.
Thank you for the heads up regarding the 4.8. I didn't realize that the transition to 6.0 was as late as 2010.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for the heads up regarding the 4.8. I didn't realize that the transition to 6.0 was as late as 2010.
there's even a 2011 210 for sale in texas that has a 4.8. Of course, it's a 2010 chassis...

I keep seeing the price on it and opening it up for a closer look every 3 or 4 days.. then i see it's a 4.8..