Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default "Lay Flat" Power Sofa Bed Conversion

We are currently shipping for a Class B.

We looked at a Coachmen Galleria 24FL today that has a "true lay flat memory foam power sofa" that converts to the bed for sleeping. We tried it. It is NOT truly flat when it is flattened for use as a bed.

The seating bench is a higher hump than the sofa back when flattened, and that hump is right at the shoulder to upper back level. There is no way that would be comfortable for sleeping; and would be a deal killer for this van.

Anyone have experience with this, or does my dealer just have a bad example of the "true lay flat memory foam power sofa"?
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum DUTCH!

I have no experience with other models, but our Airstream Avenue Suite bed is nearly flat and surprisingly comfortable. However, you have a valid concern since everything is a compromise in a class b. But my bed shows it can be done (almost).

Just looking at the pictures of some beds, they don't look flat (or level) in a number of ways and I believe many would have the same problem you experienced.

You'll need to test before you buy, or perhaps entertain something with a fixed rear bed like the ERA 170A.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Not exactly answer to your question but related. My DIY sofa-bed, which I modelled on very popular Rock & Roll beds in EU, is very flat. Foam is about 6”, it takes seconds to deploy the bed and unroll the thick mattress pad and seconds to roll it back and slide the bed back to the seating position.

My 3 aluminum framed plywood panels are flat within a small fraction of an inch so foam is flat as well. So, yes flat bed out a sofa bed is certainly doable.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sofa bed.png (85.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (3 of 3).JPG (361.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (2 of 3).JPG (376.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (1 of 3).JPG (377.7 KB, 25 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses. I've contacted Coachmen to let them know that their "True lay flat memory foam power sofa" does not truly lay flat; and that would be a deal breaker for me to buy the RV.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Thanks for the responses. I've contacted Coachmen to let them know that their "True lay flat memory foam power sofa" does not truly lay flat; and that would be a deal breaker for me to buy the RV.
We have the rear sofa in a Coachmen Crossfit. The level of both cushions in the flat position is the same, but the edge of each cushion is curved from the fabric being pulled tight so there is a low spot, (crack) along the length between the cushions. We don't feel this when sleeping on the bed so not a problem. The cushions are firm. Again not a problem for us but some might like a softer sleep surface and use a foam pad which also bridges the low spot.
Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
Silver Member

We always use a 2" vented memory foam pad over our RV bed, regardless of what type of RV we own. Most RV beds need a little help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
We have the rear sofa in a Coachmen Crossfit. The level of both cushions in the flat position is the same, but the edge of each cushion is curved from the fabric being pulled tight so there is a low spot, (crack) along the length between the cushions. We don't feel this when sleeping on the bed so not a problem. The cushions are firm. Again not a problem for us but some might like a softer sleep surface and use a foam pad which also bridges the low spot.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

We use a 2.5" memory foam pad on top of the folded out sofa bed in our Era 70X.

We also had to add 4x4 blocks underneath the extension runners to raise the forward edge of the couch seat when extended to be even with the cushions that lie on top of the cabinets around the wheel wells.

After all that, I can't say the unit lies perfectly flat. The pillow (aft) end of the couch when extended does not quite lie flat, but is slightly elevated.

Even with the memory foam pad, we also fee a slight dip where the very soft front edge of the couch meets the filler (table top and wheel well cabinets) at the forward edge of the sofa. More of a problem when entering and exiting the bed than when lying in it.

BTW, this bed requires ingress and egress from the foot. A compromise at best for old guys like me that have to get up in the night.

All in all the bed is very "sleepable" but is not like home.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Down alternative mattress topper....

Quote:
We are currently shipping for a Class B.

We looked at a Coachmen Galleria 24FL today that has a "true lay flat memory foam power sofa" that converts to the bed for sleeping. We tried it. It is NOT truly flat when it is flattened for use as a bed.

The seating bench is a higher hump than the sofa back when flattened, and that hump is right at the shoulder to upper back level. There is no way that would be comfortable for sleeping; and would be a deal killer for this van.

Anyone have experience with this, or does my dealer just have a bad example of the "true lay flat memory foam power sofa"?
We have a 2012 RS Adventurous..king size bed that folds down flat at the touch of a button...we just have to place the center panel and two side cushions in the middle.

My wife found a way to pin the sheets to a mattress topper, you can easily find them at JC Penney... and we roll up the bed every morning and stash it in the overhead compartment in the rear of the coach....it does lay flat and is very comfortable... we frequently just raise the head of the bed a couple of inches or so....helps with snoring...

Good luck...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default Lay Flat Couch

I have the Coachmen CROSSFIT 22C and the couch lies completely flat. I am full timing this year on the road. I've slept every night for 6 weeks in the van to date, and it is very comfortable. Check another Galleria again. I believe it employs the same set up? Dean ABQ, NM
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

@talktodean. Thanks for the response. I have an email from the factory that the seating bench is "a tad higher" than the seat back when deployed as the bed. I asked if this is a one off on the one I saw or across the whole line. No response to that question.

I cannot sleep in a bed when my head is below my shoulders. The "tad higher" seat bench is also a tad higher than the side bench pads that make up the lower part of the bed. Definitely not acceptable.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Could be something specific to this model?

Quote:
@talktodean. Thanks for the response. I have an email from the factory that the seating bench is "a tad higher" than the seat back when deployed as the bed. I asked if this is a one off on the one I saw or across the whole line. No response to that question.

I cannot sleep in a bed when my head is below my shoulders. The "tad higher" seat bench is also a tad higher than the side bench pads that make up the lower part of the bed. Definitely not acceptable.
I don't know exactly what you're looking at.. but, two suggestions...

1. Don't purchase anything you're not totally satisfied with.....
2. Have you considered a used model? You'll generally save money on the depreciation...

I would look at competing brands..... Winnebago, Airstream , Roadtrek....all make Class B's....

All I can tell you is about our experience...the bed lays perfectly flat....we want a little higher on the head of the bed.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote