Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Default Leasure Travel Van - Serenity

I'm a newbie and thinking of the Serenity as a first Class B. Does anyone have any pros or cons? Any experience with one? I can't do new, but looking at 3 or 4 years old.
Grammie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Bronze Member

The Serenity is a Class C not a B. You will get more info on the Class C forum. We owned a LTV for 11 years. They are quality products and I can highly recommend the company and their customer service.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Thank you, Gail -- shows you how much of a newbie I am. I was also thinking of the Era with the four captain's chairs. I want something I can use alone as a camper (with my little dog Emma) but can also use as a people hauler when my children and grandchildren go away for a few days. I guess I will continue my search.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

The dealers like to call it a B+
The name sounds more attractive than a C. Nobody wants a C in school.

We have a B+ forum, you can post your questions here:

B+ General Discussion - Class B Forums

Old 07-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks so much -- it just has such a nice floor plan for what I'm hoping for.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammie27 View Post
Thanks so much -- it just has such a nice floor plan for what I'm hoping for.
It is a tough choice.
I am a confirmed long-time B-vanner, but got to spend a week traveling in Iceland in a C-van with a floorpan similar to the Serenity. The tradeoffs are stark:

--Our Sprinter-based B van is FAR better to travel in, especially in urban areas. Smaller, more parkable, less truck-like. There is just no comparison.

--OTOH, the class-C was FAR better to live in. Spacious, convenient, plenty of storage. There is just no comparison.

With a B-van, you will never forget you are living in a truck. With a C, you never forget you are driving a truck.

Just stating the obvious...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I have had the Serenity for many years. I originally had the Class B Vista Cruiser from Gulf Stream, but taking the wife on a cross-country trip was the end of that vehicle. I had been looking for a vehicle that got the same or similar gas mileage so it was going to have to be a T1N or a pre-2007 Sprinter, but it had to have all the amenities of a real RV. That left the choice to the Winnebago View B, J, or V or the Serenity which came out in 2007.

I found one used a few years after they were new and got it for 1/2 off.

WE LOVE IT.

It get's 18+ MPG, has a full-time double bed that's 82" long. A separate toilet and shower. The water heater NEVER runs out of hot water, especially with the 50 gallons of fresh onboard. No slides mean no weather issues, full fiberglass body means no dings you cannot bang out w/o disassembling the interior. Lots of storage inside and out, fits in a 10' garage because the rear AC has been mounted low in the roofline. Skylight to climb out of or up thru to watch your surroundings (at say, an air show, or when you hear something moving outside). "Sexy" frameless tinted windows per Dean. I have added a macerator and an inverter to make it more modern. Wanna keep this one the rest of my life!

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #8

I am so torn -- I think the Serenity would be perfect, especially with the electric corner bed/sofa, but then I think we'll have two engines to worry about (regular car and this one). I also really like the Little Guy Max trailer and if I upgrade my CRV to a Pilot it will tow without a problem. It's just me and my little dog -- decisions, decisions.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am so torn -- I think the Serenity would be perfect, especially with the electric corner bed/sofa, but then I think we'll have two engines to worry about (regular car and this one). I also really like the Little Guy Max trailer and if I upgrade my CRV to a Pilot it will tow without a problem. It's just me and my little dog -- decisions, decisions.
Huh?

"but can also use as a people hauler when my children and grandchildren go away for a few days"
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

That's just it -- with the Pilot I can (and only have one vehicle to worry about) but if I want to go camping I have to learn how to tow -- I'm older and not sure you can teach this old dog any new tricks. It would be SO nice to travel with a kitchen and bath, even if we just go away for the day.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
Silver Member

Default You need to figure out what you want / need in a camper

On the FitRV site, if you dig around a bit, they have a discussion on how to pick your RV. I saw it after I bought my class B van, but found it confirmed my choice. I suggest you read through it. It could definitely help you in making your choice.

We traveled with a trailer for many many years - particularly when our kids were with us. Our kids are grown now, and do occasionally come with us, but our primary consideration is comfort for 2.

There are lite trailers out there like the T@B and Cricket to name a few that would save you a ton of money if that suited you.

My biggest gripe about traveling with a trailer was parking it. You generally had to travel to the destination (or a sequence of them), and then start exploring from where ever you set up your base camp. With the B van, we stop anywhere. Our van (A Roadtrek Zion) is just over 20 feet so we can park it in a normal parking spot. We park a trail heads. We park in many places that just wouldn't suit a B+ or C, or a towed trailer. That's a big deal to us, may not be to you. Again, why you should read through the questionnaire from FitRV, or find other questionnaires on the webs.

One other consideration. How much do you really think you'll use it? I ask because you can always rent. I always consider renting before I run out an buy something. The advantage of renting is you can not only save a ton of money, but when your not using the thing you rented, its someone else's problem. Another point on renting. You might want to rent something BEFORE you buy. Yes, it will cost you some money, but if you avoid a costly mistake, it could save you a lot more.

Good luck!

Keith
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:23 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
I am so torn -- I think the Serenity would be perfect, but then I think we'll have two engines to worry about -- decisions, decisions.
I don't know what you are talking about. The Sprinter can go pretty much EVERYWHERE. Sure you may have to unhook to leave the campsite, but that is MOSTLY just the power to run the AC. When it's not AC weather don't bother hooking up at the campsite until you are in for the evening. Everything works in the Serenity w/o hooking up.

I use mine as pretty much a daily driver that *happens* to have a toilet. It won't fit in compact spaces, but neither will other cars of mine. It hauls EVERYTHING so great for shopping. I mean, what better vehicle to head out to when the wife goes jeans shopping... Stretch out in front of your TV. It won't fit in some drive-thrus so that can be an advantage of having a car towed behind, but the ONLY use I have had for my Toad is meeting the wife somewhere, hitching up, and driving home together.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Grammie27, Have you looked at what we have, a Travato K model? It is just 21' long bumper to bumper. Almost like driving a car. Some owners use them for their only vehicle. The 2019's have seat belts for 4 people when you have kids with you but is perfect for you and your dog. Because of their size you would not have to tow, they fit almost everywhere you can take a car. New, they can be purchased for under $80,000.which might be less than some used vehicles you mentioned. Just something for you to consider.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

Thank you for that -- I will check it out. The price is not bad, either -- and I know the FitRV people use a Travato. I appreciate it!!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Yes, Stephany and James have a 2015 G model Travato.