Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Default LED replacement bulbs

I am looking to replace the 1142 bulbs in my RT with LED's
The reviews on-line are not very helpful since most people either
Love or Hate a particular brand of bulbs.
Any help would be appreciated.
jcostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quick question: Are you sure they're 1142's? I mostly see 1141's and 1156 in RV's.

Do you like warm (more yellow) or cold (white) color temperature? My wife prefers the brightest white we can get & I like it too. Lots of people like a warmer or yellowish color.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

You are correct. They are 1141's
I would prefer the brighter white light.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I am surprised to see two people that like the cool whiter color to the more yellow warn light. There have been many LED conversion discussions, and it always seemed that we were the only ones that preferred the white LED standard color. The bonus is that with the white color you usually get substantially more lumens per watt of power used, so you can go with a lower wattage bulb.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Is there a particular brand that you would recommend?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just get them on Amazon now. I sort by price low to high, specify free shipping & then work my way through the list ruling out some if the reviews are bad. 10 packs seem to avg $2 per bulb or so. I used to get them on eBay or Aliexpress but it takes many weeks to get them from China. Amazon is quick & worth a small price premium I think.

I made a mistake on some 1156's that ended up being too warm in color for us. It clearly said "warm white" so my mistake. The reviewers on Amazon were saying that they were too white so maybe that is why I took a chance. B007VLFF1U was the Amazon product code for anyone looking for warm (to us) color and bright (3W). I'll use them in the exterior fixtures & three went into the fixtures in the travel trailer bathroom.

I just installed 16 LED bulbs in the trailer yesterday but they were all the push-in 912/921 type.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I replaced my 1156's with phillips leds from Home Depot at about $6 each for the bi-pin led.

here's a write I did on it:

Stock lighting with 1156's can get hot if left on for a long time & also consume alot of power- some of my fixtures have lower rated bulbs- like in the can on the left is dim #93 bulb, and on the right an 1156.

I bought a set of 10 x 1156 socket adapters which allow use of any 12 volt bi pin LED- the set was under $18 shipped on ebay from rogerdeane.

I like Philips LEDS for durability and light quality- home depot has carried a variety and I have replaced all the bulbs in my landscaping lights with these last year and they work very well.
Prices down to about 6 bucks now.

Pic below shows 27 watt 1156 left and Philips LED right 2 watt, 195 Lumens at 3000ēK ( #909001131

The LED is very close in light to the 1156, a little cooler.

This is a little brighter than I like, I subbed in another LED "accent" 3G4-1 with 3 leds rated at 3 watt 170 Lumens at 2700ēK.
This is a little more pleasing to my eye for a reading light

same again, 1156 left and 3G4-1

I anticipate years of service for about $7 a hole, less power consumed ( 10%) and cooler temps in the fixtures

later added an update- some of the Philips 2W are a little bright- I bought some Philips 1.2 watt 105 lumen leds #454116 and am now using them in the 1st position in my 2 bulb lights.

link to ebay item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Lot-Socke...YAAOxydB1SeBoK

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

the preamble to the post above is that I had bought some leds from walmart (auto section) and some others online. most of these had multiple leds arrayed around the circumference

In all cases the light was bright and harsh- hard on the eyes and just "industrial". my eyes prefer a colour temp less than 3000ēK

in a short time some of the leds went out, or even worse flickered

that is why I started looking for another source.

the phillips leds referenced above I tested by using in my landscape lighting to replace the halogens as they burned out.
some of them now have been going for over a year and a half, every night- none have burned out or failed.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

mkguitar - excellent write up and review. It's nice to see actual pictures and a comparison.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Rok
Platinum Member

Are those lights the Mercedes Coach lights? I've been looking for some to replace mine. I found some at an RV place in Las Vegas, but they didn't work.

.........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote