Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
peppster66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brampton,Ontario
Posts: 198
Default led's are overheating

Hi, I switched all the interior lights to led's, and they work great on just battery power, but when I plug into shore power, or even start the van, they really heat up and start smoking, two of them melted and fell apart, I have a 97 roadtrek 190, why would this happen, it something with my converter/inverter?, I ended up switching back to regulsr bulbs, as I am worried about a fire issue, any ideas, please let me know, thanks,,,,,, Josef
__________________

peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
Lou
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 66
Default Re: led's are overheating

We have had several problems (see posts in Tweaks mods and projects) We bought our LEDs from an RV company who developed them specifically for RVs. You can read what happened and what we tried. After they worked successfully all summer (battery or plugged in) suddenly, in October, they started melting while plugged in at a campsite.
Since then we have had everything checked out (battery, wiring, LEDs ) and they can't find anything wrong. We have been told that it was probably an electrical problem at the campsite but I think that may not be the problem. I wish I knew more about this.
__________________

Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 123
Default Re: led's are overheating

I had this same problem with the first LED I tried. You could actually smell it and it turned brownish, indicating it as really overheating. It was a LED designed for 12V but it didn't have a regulator in it. On battery, you're OK, but when the converter is turned on, the voltage goes up and probably has spikes that go way over 12V. I then tried a LED with a regulator. They're easy to identify as they are designed for a wide range of voltages ... let's say 10v to 24v ... can't remember exactly.
These new LEDs worked just great and run nice and cool.

William
2000 Roadtrek 200P
Sherbrooke, Quebec
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 789
Default Re: led's are overheating

Mr Jones. Can you please give us a link to those lights? Thanks
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,584
Default Re: led's are overheating

The DC power in an RV is NOT regulated to 12VDC. The loads see the same (varying) voltage as the coach battery. When you are plugged in, your converter will deliver well in excess of 13VAC to charge the battery (depending on its current SOC). And, if it is set up for a lead-acid battery and is a "smart" charger, it will occasionally go even higher due to the battery "equalization" cycle. Note that this could happen while driving as well, if your rig is set up to charge the house batteries from the engine alternator.

Either you need to use LEDs that are spec'd to deal with this (evidently yours weren't), or you need to regulate the circuit (either at each fixture or centrally).
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
peppster66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brampton,Ontario
Posts: 198
Default Re: led's are overheating

Hi Avanti, thank you for your reply, how would I regulate it at the circut?, any help would be trully appreciated, thank you,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,584
Default Re: led's are overheating

Well, I am no expert, but here are a couple of devices which might be appropriate:

http://www.prudentrver.com/ledmisc.html

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...#/tab/Overview

One more thought: I have been assuming that you have been using LEDs with built-in current-limiting resistors, right? Using raw LEDs in any context will damage the LED.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 123
Default Re: led's are overheating

I bought mine over a year ago. I don't recall the supplier ... just remember I ordered them from China for about $5 or $6 a piece. They were warm white, which I prefer.

Here is an example of the type of light I mean: with a voltage regulator. Notice that they say that it will operate from 11v to 28v, and even if the voltage is AC.

http://www.amazon.com/GRV-BA15S-11-28V- ... 6BAJGWFZTZ

Again, these are not the lights I ordered, and this is not the supplier. I can check back in my files to find out if you want.

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,584
Default Re: led's are overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones
Here is an example of the type of light I mean: with a voltage regulator. Notice that they say that it will operate from 11v to 28v, and even if the voltage is AC.
I don't think that those bulbs have voltage regulators, and they don't really need them. LEDs are CURRENT-sensitive, not voltage-sensitive. As long as they are properly current-limited, they will work over a relatively wide voltage range. The important thing is to make sure that the devices you use have integral current limitations (typically just a resistor), and are not just raw LEDs. Anything you buy pre-packaged with bulb bases will almost certainly meet this requirement.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 123
Default Re: led's are overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
I don't think that those bulbs have voltage regulators, and they don't really need them. LEDs are CURRENT-sensitive, not voltage-sensitive. As long as they are properly current-limited, they will work over a relatively wide voltage range. The important thing is to make sure that the devices you use have integral current limitations (typically just a resistor), and are not just raw LEDs. Anything you buy pre-packaged with bulb bases will almost certainly meet this requirement.
I actually took two of them apart and I can tell you that they don't just have a simple resistor. The actual term for the device inside the lamp is a LED driver, and the ones I found had part number PT4115E. You can find the exact specs online. I don't think the terminology is important, as the lamp dealers don't seem to say exactly what they contain, but my point is that getting a lamp that can operate with a wide voltage input is very important. The difference between having a the driver that prevents overheating and one that doesn't is like night and day in my case.

William
__________________

WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.