Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Leveling your van - what do you use?

Hey All,

Well I am in "off season" mode but already thinking about what I want to do to my van and where I want to take it next year.

One of the biggest issues I had was with getting my van level. Most places were OK but I really should have some kind of block system in place for some of the marginal campgrounds I stayed at. What type of setup do you all use for leveling your van?
Nutsy_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I carry 4 of the orange plastic blocks and have used them once or twice, mostly in friends driveways.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Nutsy_squirrel - Check out Anderson Levelers, they are fast and easy. Merry Christmas and Safe Travels. Ron
Old 12-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Leveling Boards

I cut up 2"x8"x8' treated board into 2 long 2' sections and 2 short 1' sections. I cut an angle on each board to easy driving up on. See photos.
For traction when the boards are wet, I cut old shingles and nailed to boards. I drilled two matching holes and used metal rods to hold in place when stacked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wood Leveling Boards.jpg (409.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Long Board Storage.jpg (156.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Short Board Storage.jpg (152.5 KB, 42 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We carry a couple of sets, 20 minus damaged ones that have been pitched, of the plastic blocks. We don't need them a lot of the time, but often enough in the types of places we like to go. Normally use under 10 of them but sometimes need more.

Blocks are light and can be stored in several areas to use otherwise wasted space without tying up prime areas with large ramp type things.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Bronze Member

thanks all for your responses.

I saw the Anderson setup and wasn't sure if I really needed to spend the $$. Does anyone have? Is it worth the $$? It seems like it would be hard to control how much lift you get by just trying to ease the van forward versus putting down blocks.

I liked the cheapo wood blocks. But wouldn't that get gross with mud, gravel, etc? I do have "trunk" storage but space is a bit of a premium.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsy_squirrel View Post
thanks all for your responses.

I saw the Anderson setup and wasn't sure if I really needed to spend the $$. Does anyone have? Is it worth the $$? It seems like it would be hard to control how much lift you get by just trying to ease the van forward versus putting down blocks.

I liked the cheapo wood blocks. But wouldn't that get gross with mud, gravel, etc? I do have "trunk" storage but space is a bit of a premium.
The bottom one will be nasty in the mud. I clean as best I can, maybe a quick water spray. I really don't camp much in the muck. The compartment does get vacuumed out from time to time, but not really a big issue.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

here's a FitRV video regarding the Anderson Levelers. We use wood blocks like mloganusda.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I personally like the way rv geeks suggests on how leveling a rv without jacks.
https://youtu.be/dnH3ZQEEyWY
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml View Post
I personally like the way rv geeks suggests on how leveling a rv without jacks.
https://youtu.be/dnH3ZQEEyWY

I think there are lots of phone apps that will do that, I know we have one.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think there are lots of phone apps that will do that, I know we have one.
i use camper level app on my android - tho not so much anymore - i kinda go more by feel
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I think these Andersen levelers could be dangerous if someone accidentally drives over, they will shoot back. Personally, I will never use them.

Leveling often requires different height on 3 wheels, I don’t think setting them in a predetermined height position(s) is possible with Anderson.

I often don’t level but on these few occasions when need to I used Tri Lynx with their chock/stop.

1. Using an RV levelling app, I determine height for each wheel
2. Build Tri Lynx structure(s) including their chock/stop for 1 to 3 wheels.
3. Drive on and safely stop, all above is one-person job and it is safe.

https://trilynx.com/blogs/lynx-level...ing-rv-trailer
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #13
Bronze Member

For some reason front/back isn't so much of an issue as sideways leveling. I find that a lot of gravel camp sites tend to have a slight "crown" in the middle of them, probably from having the gravel more compacted under the wheels of all the rigs that drove through there.

Where have you guys had issues with leveling?
Old 12-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsy_squirrel View Post
Where have you guys had issues with leveling?
Mostly just when we stop off to visit a friend while traveling and stay in their driveway.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Leveling

I have the rubber pads (4) from Campers World and was using the wood blocks in the US, however we replaced the wood blocks when we went to South America as taking wood products across international borders can be problematic (especially coming back into US if border agent wants to be difficult - they refused re-entry to a friend that did not have treated lumber stamps on some skid wood) so went to Home Depot and bought one of those heavy rubber mats for a work shop and cut my own longer rubber blocks around 18” x 10” that I can use in addition to the CW rubber blocks when I need a little more height. They work great, non slip and much less expensive than the CW rubber pads. Just cut them with an old circular saw blade outside. You will have a big chunk of rubber left over and could make another set for a friend or keep for HD door mat etc.

I really like the rubber as non-slip when stacked but they are heavier than wood. We just recently purchased a new van and it came with 2 sets plastic lego blocks levelers but much prefer the rubber levelers since they don’t slip on the ground when you drive up on them.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
Gold Member

I have two stacks of the camco Lego blocks and a long yellow ramp. They seem to be enough to get the job done. If I need more than that I need a better parking spot...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Lot’s of people buy a horse stall mat made of recycled rubber (Tractor Supply or someplace with farm supplies) and cut it into pieces for leveling.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
Silver Member

We have a half-dozen 2x8 pieces we stack as necessary. They fit nicely in our rear driver-side compartment. We have several sets of Lynx levelers from our previous coach but have no space for them, they don't fit in that compartment well at all.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
Bronze Member

I use the Lego blocks like sold at Wal-Mart. I have ones set and use them less than one in 20 nights, but they are quick & simple. When not in use they take up about a 10" cube of space and they lock together. Works well for me it I need to crawl under to get a few inched of clearance too.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #20
Bronze Member

I have used 2x4's for over 30 years. I keep them in my storage area and use when needed. They sometimes get wet and when they do I load them in my van on the floor until dry. Actually I picked up the ones I have now from a carpenter working on a house and had so leftover boards.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote